Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:32 AM   #1

Hello.

I need to take some digital pictures for scientific analysis. Two band-pass interference filters (10nm centered at 500nm and 970nm wavelength) will be used. The person who first did this type of analysis used a Kodak Professional DCS-420IR, to which I have no access.

I have two digital cameras, a Point and Shoot Casio Exilim EX-Z55 and my always faithful Canon PowerShotG5.

Does anyone know if any of these cameras will do the trick? I know most new cameras have "hot mirror" filters (infrared light filters), but I'm not sure about these two.

If none of those can take the 970nm pictures I need, what would you recommend? I don't want to modify them as my wife would kill me!I've found some stores that sell modified IR+Visible enabled cameras (Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT 350D, etc.), but I would really appreciate any advice from you. Oh, and by the way, the camera should be able to save pictures at least at 12 bits.

Thanks a lot!

Giancarlo
giancarloflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2
E.T

I don't think there are any cameras which could go that down...
Canon 20Da might be better than most because it was designed for astrophotography and its IR filter isn't as sharp...
It lets H-alfa wavelength through couple time better than filter of normal 20D but I don't know how far to IR it goes.

giancarloflores wrote:
Quote:
the camera should be able to save pictures at least at 12 bits.
That requires RAW... all other formats like JPEG and TIFF use 8 bits.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:35 AM   #3

Thanks, E.T.

Any suggestion on where should I look? Any other technical forum perhaps? A particular vendor? Of course I could still try to find a second hand DCS-420IR, but I was expecting to buy a new camera, for I will need to present an expense report in the end...

Thanks again,

Giancarlo
giancarloflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:22 PM   #4
E.T

That 970nm is such far from optical spectrum that finding any camera which can go as far is propably very hard.

Here's some information which might interest you
http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index...image_dis.html
Original Minolta DiMage 7 has much less sharper than normal IR filter and even little of 1000nm gets through its filter...
Now aren't all CCDs themself quite sensitive to IR leaving Bayer filter array as only unknown but you would think it (red pixels of it) passes IR through because they use additional filter.

There's also some lighlosses listed for other cameras (sensitivity link) but there's nothing to how far to near IR those reach.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote