Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:39 PM   #21
me2

The reason the D50 has refurbs could be for a number of reasons, maybe lots of returns from Costco due to consumers playing and returning them. Anything opened from Costco goes back. As far as I know the D50 is rock solid. I don't think there have been any posts on the forums about people experiencing bad D50s. My refurb is excellent too.

"Please indulge me just one more question on the Oly 500 Evolt, though: again, I don't remember where Iperused this either, but I ran across mention that the LCD screen stays lit through the compositional stage (which is probably why another owner/user lamented over the camera's high battery drain). Now, I am not very familiar with photographic terms, and wonder if "compositioning" is in reference to one's preparation in setting up shots. If so, then this is to translate into that screen being on almost all the time."

The E500 is an SLR. The sensor doesn't see the picture during the composition stage. The only thing it could be displaying is the shooting parameters, which it might because the E500 doesn't have a status LCD like other SLRs do. I found the shooting info on the E500 very nicely organized, but to have to view it on the back LCD would be a big pain. I only turn the back LCD on on my D50 to review shots and I do it manually. I use my D50 like a film camera, except to review shots.

I forgot the E500 didn't have a status LCD. I really like the status LCD on my D50.

The E330 has the ability to compose shots on the back LCD. I think it is a gimicky feature at best.

I was going to buy the E500. I am not an Oly fan anymore. Too many little things like no status LCD, the 4/3 lens limitation, higher high ISO noise and the small viewfinder. Otherwise I really liked the E500. Having said that there is just about nothing I don't like about the D50.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:33 PM   #22

Me2,

As always ~ a very hearty thanks to you. I can't even begin to properly address just how helpful you (and others, too) have been to me. I just don't have the words.

It has really been an inner battle with me - over those two cameras. The D-50 did seem to be a better built unit, and I did like the B/W information window on top of its body. What I have gathered (from yourself, as well as other sources) is that the megapixel rating is not that huge of an indicator as to picture quality. In the case of the 2-megapixel step up in the 500 Evolt, over the D-50 (with smaller CCD), it would seem that the difference would be even smaller.

You see.....I'm really learning, from you guys (and gals) :-).

~ Blessings ~

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:13 PM   #23

Hi Nathan,

No....the LCD on the E-500 is NOT used for compositonal purposes. It is used to display the cameras settings...there are 3 options...basic...detailed...and off. It is also used for the camera's menus.

So..after I have my settings where I believe I want them for the majority of the time...I turn the "settings" display to off. When I want to change them..I just hit the "Info" button.

This will help tremendously on battery drain...although to be honest...during this learning phase...I have both on quite a bit...and it seems like it lasts quite a long time between recharges.

I rather like having the camera settings on the 2.5 LCD. Of course...I am 48 and falling apart...so it's nice to be able to read the menus/settings etc..with zero problem. That was huge for me.

As I had mentioned before...the larger and heavier D-50 was a small disadvantage...having held and held and held both of them (like I am sure you are doing) the build quality on both are superb!

The smaller VF has proven to be a non issue as I mentioned before. To some obviously it may be...but to me....and I was prepared to take the E-500 back for the D-50 if the VF proved to be in any way a limitation...it is just fine. No problems.

I have shot several pics at 800 ISO with no problems noted. Of course...that is coming from a layman...but I figure if I like the pic...and my family likes the pic....whats the problem!! hahaha!

Oh...and if you have a Sam's Club nearby..they are selling for 699.00 for the two lens kit. Hard to beat!

Hope this helps!

randy

randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:32 PM   #24
me2

Well, NL, the reason I post here is because 1 month ago I was in your shoes. I visited my favorite camera shop and they didn't even show me Nikon cameras because they were Canon people. "Why buy a 6MP camera ?" So I looked at the Rebel and hated it. 20D was too much $$$. Almost bought the E500. Thankfully I posted a "Talk me out of the E500" post on a Canon forum and I got an earful ! I've had a film SLR for the last 15 years and a Coolpix for the last 5, but things have changed. DSLRs are different beasts. The Canon people didn't persuade me to get a Rebel, but they did persuade me to not get an E500. I looked at KM and Nikon and somewhere I fell in love with the D50.

So... long story short, I'm only giving back what others gave to me.

Here is an interesting tidbit. Last night I shot my first night scene of city lights. I never did it with my film SLR because I didn't know how to set the exposure. I never did it wth my Coolpix because I didn't consider it that kind of camera, although it does have a bulb mode. (I don't have a remote for it either.)

Well, I didn't get the shot composed just right, but I got great images. (Unseen tree branch in the way...) In my lifetime I have had 3 SLRs and 1 P&S and 1 digital P&S and I feel the D50 is by far the best value for the $$$ spent of all of them.

Actually the best money I ever spent was $84 for a used, mint 50mmf/1.8 prime lens for the D50. Not that other lenses aren't good, but when the light is low indoors and I want to shoot without the flash, I set the D50 ISO to 8 or 1600, slap on the 50mm, set the aperture to about f2 or f2.2 and go to town. Like this...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17742949

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17644259

Here are some shots taken with a D50 and an 85f/1.8. A $250 lens. When you show me a Oly camera that will shoot like this, I'll buy one.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17801487

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17653643

For a comparison of 6MP versus 8MP, check this out
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17835655

Sorry if I sound like a broken record on the D50. I am just very happy with the camera. I am also very happy that I didn't have to spend big $$$ to get low noise, great image quality, good build quality, fast shooting, etc.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:28 PM   #25

Nathan

Looks like your question has been answered beforeI got home from work. In reading the new posts I think the bottom line is you will find most owners of the D-50 would buy the camera again and so would most owners of the E-500. Both are excellent products.

It really getsdown to you need to hold both cameras in your hand, get a feel for their interfaces and definitely take some pictures with both cameras that you can compare. You are going to be the final judge of what fits your needs the best.

It would be much easier if there was a camera out there that had every feature one wanted, met ones expectations to the letterand even cost way less then what one was prepared to pay. The reality though is as cameras become morefeature richit becomes even harder to make a decision and once it is made the next wave of product introductions gets you thinking about a new camera again. The camera research and marketing departments are doing a great job of keeping consumers in the buying mood.
Bayside3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:42 PM   #26

Randy, Me2 & Bayside 3 ~ Much appreciation.

You have all been so very helpful, kind, informative & patient - and I really hate to come back here yet being in a state of indecision. I like the greater bulk of the D-50 because (as stated before) I have large hands. The dedicated b/w information window is also a plus to me. I also read that it has a five step something-or-other (don't recall the actual term, but it was stated to be very important) whereas the Oly has only three. The D-50's viewfinder is also supposed to be better; affording greater scope of viewing (which may, or may not turn out to be that important to me).

On the other hand, the 500 Evolt has a slightly larger LCD screen, which (like with Randy - could be very beneficial, indeed, to these set of eyes :-)). I have been afforded information that the lens-cleaning procedure isn't a very involved thing to do, but the Oly's automatic cleaning feature would be very nice to have. Then there is anotherthingin the Oly's favor; the fact that it comes with a double-lens set.

So that's where I am. I think that it will be a few days, yet, before I actually have the funds in hand. By then, I should know better as to which road to travel. I had also (just for the heck of it) taken a peek at the Nikon D-200, and my wife happened to catch me salivating :-). She said that she would help me to get that one, if it was the one I wanted (God...I love her so much). I came this close (thumb and index finger spread just 15/16 of an inch apart) to saying YES! Yes! Yes!!. But I had to be realistic and come back to base.

I have a lot to learn, and am very willing & ready to learn it. The D-200 (I feel) would be much too big of a leap for me, at this point. I don't mind being challenged, somewhat - but wouldn't want to be totally overwhelmed. A course in digital photography & Photoshop should give me good footing and, God willing, I will experience great growth within this field. After a while, it may be the D-200 in the works for me - or something even better.

Whatever I decide upon (for the present), I know that I will have the continued support of all you fantastic people here.

~ Blessings ~

Nathan
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:44 PM   #27
me2

The D50 can be bought in a 2 lens kit too.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:51 PM   #28

me2 wrote:
Quote:
The D50 can be bought in a 2 lens kit too.
Me2,

I really didn't know that. In all of my searching I never came across that kind of info. But let me ask you somethingo you know ifthe two-lens kit for the D-50 is as good as the lens kit for the 500 Evolt is supposed to be? Also, if an owner of a DSLR just wanted one good all-in-one lens for his/her camera - which would you suggest? and about how much would it cost?

~ Blessings ~

Nathan
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:01 AM   #29
me2

"Do you know ifthe two-lens kit for the D-50 is as good as the lens kit for the 500 Evolt is supposed to be?"

I don't know one way or another. But... If I was buying a D50, I wouldn't buy the 2 lens kit anyway. Lenses are a big subject... you are opening a can of worms, but maybe it needs to be discussed.

First of all, the D50 2 lens kit is usually the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. The 18-55 is a so-so lens in my opinion. People say it takes OK to good pictures. It just doesn't have a great feel about it. But, there is nothing stopping you from buying a D50 body only (for as little as $400) and getting the lenses you want. I bought a body only and then bought a used 18-70 for $220ish and a 50f/1.8 for $85. The 18-70 is a muc better lens compared to the 18-55.

These lenses do what I need and I suspect the 18-70 is a higher quality lens than the Oly wide angle tele. To say nothing of the 50f/1.8 which is both fast and tack sharp - unbeatable.

Here is a kit with a 28-80 and 55-200...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

So... lenses for the Oly. I am not sure exactly what lenses fit the E500 due to the 4/3 format. As far as I know the kit lenses are the only reasonably priced lenses. There are other lenses, but they are pretty expensive. Not that some Nikkor lenses aren't the same, but the chance of finding a reasonably priced Nikon lens is much great than an Oly lens. I decided not to buy the Oly before I got the lens question answered.

There are a ton of used and new Nikon compatible lenses around and any AF lens will work with the D50. However, AI and manual lenses do not work at all or have limitations. (Not the case with the D200 though where they all work.) So the question becomes do you want to buy the kit lenses for the D50 or body only and then "accumulate" lenses as you need them ? I want to accumulate.

I've got the 18-70, which is my walk around lens. I don't shoot wildlife and right now I don't need a long zoom so the 18-70 works for me. There are lots of other wide angle zooms out there for the Nikon as well.

My next lens will probably be a 85f1.8, because I LOVE prime lenses. Nothing like a fast, sharp and inexpensive lens ! The lens I get after that will probably be a 80-200 f2.8. You can't even get a lens like that for the Oly. It is a constant f/2.8 from 80 through 200. It is big and heavy, but fast. They can be found for $500 to $800 used.

You have lots of options with the D50 as far as lenses go.

One of the issues with the E500 is that the lens length multiplier is 2x versus 1.5x on the Nikon and Canons. It is hard to get a good wide angle lens for it, not that the 18-70 is really great here either. (18x1.5 = 27, none too wide...)

"Also, if an owner of a DSLR just wanted one good all-in-one lens for his/her camera - which would you suggest? and about how much would it cost?"

Define all in one. Everything from wide angle to telephoto ? Nikon has a 18-200, but it is a bit expensive. The ultimate super zoom. I'd rather have a 85f/1.8 because it is smaller, sharper and faster. Nikon has many other mid zoom lenses, but they don't interest me because I dislike anything slower than f/3.5. (I find my 18-70 limiting in this regard...) You may find them perfectly fine though.

I recommend going on eBay, selecting photography as the area and then the keyword Nikon and sub area Lenses. That should give you a good idea of what is out there, whether you elect to buy lenses on eBay or not. Lots and lots of selection. Very easy to buy and sell Nikon lenses as your desires/needs/budget/talent changes.

The other thing I like about DSLRs and my D50 in particular is that the lenses will work on a D70, D200, D1X, etc. In short, when I buy my D50 lenses, I am buying a system. When I upgrade in the future, I need only purchase a new body, not a complete set of lenses. As of right now, it is unclear to me where Olympus is going with its DSLRs. Specifically, is there going to be an E2 ? What will supercede the E500 ?

I have no need for anything beyond the D50 now, but given how my photography has changed and improved recently, I can see myself moving up to higher end Nikon in a few years. The D200 sells for $1700 now. The D50/D70 are based on the D100 which entered the market at $2000. So it is conceivable that Nikon will sell an $800 D200 based 10MP "D75" in a few years. I've already started building the lens collection for that camera !

These are shot with the D50 and 85f/1.8:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17826570

Anyway... a lot could be written on this subject. I recommend you do a lot of reading. You aren't just buying a camera for the next year. You are possibly selecting the "system" you will use for the next 10 years.

Something is messed up in this post. Whole paragraphs have become links. Maybe the moderator could fix it ?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:03 AM   #30
me2

One more thing: macro. The D50 can do macro with either of:

- macro lenses
- extenion rings
- reversing rings

I'm not sure what the Oly can do in this regard.