Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:17 AM   #31
me2

And then there is the issue of flashes. I think the Nikon Matrix metering and iTTL flash is the best in the industry. You can put an SB600 flash on the D50 and use iTTL or you can put an SB800 and use it as a wireless controller for other wireless flashes. And if you move up to the D200, you can go nuts with flash zones. With a D70 you can use the camera flash and have the camera control a SB800 wirelessly. Versatility. You are buying a system.

I looked back in my photo album when I did this purchase and found about 50% of the informal group portraits taken over the years are dark, shadowy and poorly lit. I will be putting an end to that with my D50.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:13 AM   #32

Well Me2...I think that you have just about sealed the matter for me. I thank you for taking the time to compose your response to my concerns, and have to say that it has helped me considerably. When I left here, on my last visit, I did so with the Oly being a few steps ahead in my consideration. But you are absolutely right: It's all about looking ahead, and setting one's self up for future changes - and growth.

I have purchased from Ebay, before, but it was always within areas that I had good knowledge in - and knew what to look for/expect. Being of fledgling (if that) status with DSLR's & their lenses, I think that I might be better off going with a 'new' purchase. But I appreciate your mentioning that avenue. I am going to check on that 85f1.8 lens as soon as I finish this to you.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

The next that you hear from me should be with an attachment of a photo, or two (or more :-)) that I will have shot. And, hopefully, it will be to some degree meritorious.

~ Blessings ~

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:48 AM   #33
me2

I'm glad I could be of help. Welcome to the DSLR group.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:39 AM   #34
rey

NLAlston

FYI, I got my D50 brand new with 18-55 lens and 70-300 lens and a Nikon bag for $700 from Cameta (including $20 shipping, no tax outside NY). They have different packages. I didn't bid, I just used the "buy it now" option. Here's what I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digital-SLR-Camera-2-Lens-Kit-Case-NEW-USA_W0QQitemZ7605777029QQcategoryZ43456QQtcZphotoQ QcmdZViewItem]
D50

I then bought the 50mm f/1.8, 1GB Ultra 2 SD card, and a $30 monopad from Adorama... and I couldn't resist buying another SD card from Costco since they had a sale a couple of weeks ago. My next purchase is a different bag (Lowepro Topload AW) for hiking, a couple of polarizers for the lenses, and new National Park Pass.

Next major purchase will be a $500 Tokina 12-24 for landscape, hopefully by Christmas. And then the much coveted 18-200 VR.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:13 AM   #35
me2

This guy likes his 18-200 VR. I didn't realize they were a VR.

http://stobblehouse.com/text/superzoom.html
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:24 AM   #36

me2-

I have read nothing but praise from more than a few sourcesfor the new Nikkor 18-200mm VRII lens. In fact, based on the very excellent experience I had with the Nikkor 24-120mm VR lens, which I have used both on my Nikon D-70 and now the new D-50, as well, I went ahead and ordered the 18-200mm VRII lens.

The original VR has worked very well indeed, and the VRII is suppossed to be even better. So, I have an estimate of 05/01 for a shipping date on the new lens. There is quite a lot of discussion at dpreview on the Nikon SLR forum about it.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote