Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:45 AM   #1

Currenty i have an Optio S4, and it's been great. But i want to upgrade to a camera with a slightly bigger screen. I think i've narrowed it down to the S6 and Canon SD450. I've read some reviews saying the delay when taking pictures with the S6 is almost 6 seconds, is that true?
mudaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2

You can always find the boot-up time, shutter lag and time between shots info in the conclusion page of any review that Steve does. So here is the link to that page for you:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...tios6_pg5.html

And the boot up time is 3.5 sec, max shutter lag 0.8 sec, and the time between shots was 1.8 seconds. The other factor to consider is the image quality which was"... not that impressive..."

On the other hand, the CanonSD 450's boot-up time was 1.4 sec, the max shutter lag was 0.2 sec, and the time between shots was 1.3 sec. The image quality was "...superb image quality..." There is a lot of info that can be easily obtained from reading Steve's reviews. The link to that review is:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...sd450_pg6.html

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3

Cool, i guess that's why everyone i know is getting Canon's, i was just hoping to find something as good, but diffrent from what everyone else has.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4

If you tend to not pre-focus by holding the shutter halfway until you get a shutter lock the SD450 is pretty slow for full autofocus shutter lag. Dave at Imaging Resource got 0.5 seconds at wide and 0.9 seconds at telephoto. That is poor by current standards for a 3X zoom camera. Cycle times are good though. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0/SD45DATA.HTM

My preference would be for the SD450 over the S6 because I don't much like not having an optical viewfinder. But the S6 does have a larger screen of a much higher resolution in a considerably smaller camera.

If the image quality on your S4 is fine for you I think the S6 would be at least as good. There is a big difference between viewing an image at 100% where you have to scroll around to see the entire image and image quality in normal use.

S series Pentax images are often highly criticized for corner softness and slight vignetting at wide. I had an S4 and didn't take an image with it I thought corner softness and vignetting distracted from the image. It wouldn't be great copying documents or artwork, but there isn't usually anything in the corners that have to be super sharp in normal snapshots. Old pros often slightly softened and vignetted the corners to add subtle impact to images. There is a difference between a technically perfect image and an image that is good for normal use.

If you want something both tiny and quick look at the Casio S500 or S600. It doesn't win kudos from reviewers for super corner to corner resolution, but owners seem quite happy with them. The LCD isn't as nice as the S6 though.

You might also consider the Casio Z750 or new Z850. It does have a super sharp lens, 2.5 inch LCD and an optical viewfinder in a camera lighter than the SD450 but a tad larger. It is extremely quick for shutter lag: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z750/Z750DATA.HTM Prices on the Z750 are pretty reasonable now that the Z850 is out and both have MPEG4 movies like the S6. You can store a photo album of your favorite photos and custom user modes in the permanent memory. I like that better than a throw-away card like the SD450 comes with. It also gets 325 shots per charge compared to 150 on the SD450.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:43 AM   #5

Does anyone have any more input on this? I went to the store on the weekend, compared both cameras, found the delay on the S6 pretty quick. And i think the display looks nicer on the S6 as well
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6

The final answer is simply this: Buy what feels best, and you like the best.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote