Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:28 PM   #1

I love taking photographs but am strictly a p & s amateur. I want to start taking photos of outdoor soccer games and want to be able to capture photos that are close up and can capture the action clearly. I have been researching for weeks and keep going back and forth between the Sony H5 and Rebel XT. Clearly, the Rebel XT will produce better quality; however, being an amateur, I think the photos can only be as good as I am.

Tousers of both dslr and p & s, what do you recommend for a novice? Is it easy to learn how to use a dslr? Can the Sony H5 capture action photos close enough to the dslr? I know the H5 is not released yet but based on the H1 performance and specs of H5, does it show promise to compete with the Rebel XT for my needs?

Please help as I think I am getting more confused!!! Thank you.
bakera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:44 PM   #2

bakera-

I just purchased a Nikon Refurbished D-50 body for $399 which I am very happy with in every way. Then purchase an inexpensive 70-200 Lens ($180.00)and with your outdoor shots you really should have very high quality images. All for about $150 more than the Sony H-5.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:21 AM   #3

Hi MT, took your advise and just purchased a Nikon D50 (body only) and a TamronAF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di (Digital) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro -62mm- f/Nikon. I am nervous and hope I bought the right lens. The learning curve should keep me busy for quite a while. Thank you for your help!
bakera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:49 PM   #4

bakera-

That sounds like an excellent combination that should work really well for you.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote