Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

Hello, I am considering buying a Binocular with built inDigital Camera. I have been reading reviews and find just as many good reviews as bad reviews so I figured I would ask here.

Anyone have one?

Thanks
Kimberly

KimberH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:27 AM   #2

they are basicly a toy......not very good at all i seen images from one
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:49 AM   #3

I have been readying a ton of reviews and I found just as many love it and hate it. I have read people taping a binocular to their digital camera. Any idea if that works?

Kimberly

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:28 AM   #4

well I didn't tape it, but the Moon pic in my avatar was taken with a Coolpix 3100 held up to a 10x50 binocular that was on a tripod. Taping would have made it alot easier but I couldn't bring myself to put tape on my camera. So it's possible, just not easy and probably not the best solution.
Glorindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5

We live in rural area and I want to get pictures of wild animals we see out in the fields and birds who visit my many bird feeders. I have a olympus C-3020 Zoomwith a nice digital zoom but when youcrop down the pictures to get only that animalit iis way to pixely to use on anything.

I was thinking a trail camera but they take so few pictures and I really like to have something portable I can take out walking the trails in state parks and farm lands around us.

Kimber

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6

I bought a pair of binoculars with a digital camera (2.1 Megapixel top resolution) built in for my dad last May. For the money (less than 50 bucks), it wasn't a bad deal. Here are the weaknesses of this combo, however.

1. There are no manual adjustments available (nothing other than automatic).

2. There is no flash so if you want to take pictures in less than bright daylight, it is a very big challenge.

3. There is no image stabilizaton (what do you expect for less than 50 bucks?). Also, I find it harder to hold binoculars (usually requiring both hands) stable than a digital camera. Yes, you could get a binocular tripod, but ...

I recommend you consider getting one of the refurbished or used ultra-zoom digital cameras instead, with a minimal optical zoom of 10X. I have seen them on sale for less than 200 bucks on the net. If you come into some unexpected money, I would recommend one of the Panasonics (FZ-5 or FZ-7) for daytime shots, and the Fuji S5200 for shots in dim light (it's fine during the day, too, of course).
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:56 AM   #7

I have a 7.5 optical + digital zoom Olympusnow. Will a 10X zoom be that much different? The one I am look at (stats below) says

[*]Power: 8x Now is that about the same as my camera's 7.5 or bincular powerdifferent?

Thanks for all the help to everyone. I am reallylost on what to do.

The one I am look atis 169.00 and 119.00 on sale in store this week.

Meade 8x42 CaptureView Generation II Binocular w/ Digital Camera

Features

[/*]
  • Full-function binocular and a digital camera with a 32MB memory [/*]
  • Digital camera captures the image as seen through binoculars [/*]
  • Color LCD preview screen [/*]
  • 2.0 MegaPixel CMOS sensor [/*]
  • Stores up to 350 pictures with resolution at 1600 x 1200 [/*]
  • Transfer photos to your PC with USB connection [/*]
  • SD memory card port for added storage [/*]
  • Dimensions: W 4.9 in; H 3.25 in; D 5.75 in [/*]
  • Battery: 2 x AAA 1.5V alkaline [/*]
  • Includes: a USB cable, CD-ROM with image editting software, instructions, a neck strap, a cleaning cloth, and a carry case
Binocular Specifications

[/*]
  • Power: 8x [/*]
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 42 mm [/*]
  • Optical Design: folding roof prism [/*]
  • Optical Coatings: fully-coated [/*]
  • Close Focus: 16 ft [/*]
  • Field of View: 376 ft at 1000 yds
Digital Camera Specifications

[/*]
  • Resolution: (1600 x 1200), (1280 x 960) and (640 x 480) 24-bit color [/*]
  • Aperture: f4.0; fixed lens [/*]
  • Angle of View: 8 degrees [/*]
  • Optimum Range: 49 ft to infinity [/*]
  • Memory: 16MB SDRAM, 16MB Flash [/*]
  • Movie Mode: (AVI Format): up to 90 seconds at QVGA [/*]
  • Interface Type: USB [/*]
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:29 PM   #8

I have a pair of these binoculars with digicam, left in the closet for a few years. You may be fooled to think the camera takes pictures with the same field of view ("zooming power") as the binoculars, even though the camera does not take pictures through the optical path of the binoculars - WRONG.

The digital camera's telephoto length ("magnification") is in fact lower (usually much lower) than that of the binoculars. Most manufacturers of these bino-digicam craftily avoid making direct comparison between the optical power of the binoculars with the digicam. "Lower by how much?" you won't know for sure until you buy their products and realize it is not as claimed!

Also the cheaper bino-digicam usually have plastic lens element and the optical quality is not very good.

The only product I have seen with a proper photo review and decent feedback is the Pentax Digi-bino (here at Steve's Digicams). Unfortunately they are not in production anymore (plus the camera has low pixel count).

I would probably not buy one of these products - it is a novelty but not practical or produce good results.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:02 PM   #9

Thank you for the for input. I had been wondering if they "really" tookthe same picture aswhat you see.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:39 PM   #10

I did a writeup on one of them over a year ago on my site. They increased the resolution on them a bit since then, but photo quality is still poor.

The one I did (and it's still sold in stores): http://www.digitalcamerabasics.com/combo.htm
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote