Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

Hi all! A friend recommended me to you and I am really hoping to get some information! I own a cosmetic company and am having a heck of a time getting my camera to take very detailed shots of my pigments. I need a camera that is under $500 and can take very crisp photos of powders. Until now, they are a bit fuzzy and I know that this is hindering our online sales. I have been told to stick with Canon, but I have a kodak DX 4530 and have been happy with it for all of my other photo needs!

If it helps, here is a link to the site so you can see the problem for yourself. I am posting this only so you have a frame of reference, and am NOT trying to SPAM. I just have a legitimate problem and could use some assistance. My camera right now has 5.0 megapixels and I have it set to the best possible close-up setting, yet it is still not working well for me.

Could you please recommend something that will enable me to get better and cleaner photos! Thank you so much for your time!

www.twistedfayte.com is the link to the site for photo reference!

I look forward to your expertise! Thank you so much!
mbaggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:15 AM   #2

hey wassup!
check out the canon S2 IS or the sony H1 or panasonic FZ7 , anyone of em would be really good ... and they'll easily be in ya budget tooo... ya gotto personally check em out , like how they feel and stuff... they have somewat similar features...
i too em decidin on these ones though im kinda more bias to the sony and panasonic one...
juss my 12 cents:lol:

aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:00 AM   #3
rey

I'm not familiar with your camera, but I looked at your website and it looks like the pictures' problems may be more about lighting and angles of shots, than anything else.

The lighting is really harsh, probably because of the flash being so close. Also you need to do some post processing to make it sharper and fix the color's tones. Try using a black background, and make sure to use a tripod. Some of pictures looked out of focus. Either a tripod wasn't used or the camera was too close to the subjects. A camera has a minimum distance from the subject to focus correctly, if you're too close, it won't focus. Also, avoid the digital zoom part of your camera.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:58 PM   #4

Rey is entirely correct!

When you are selling to women, the photos have to be well lighted, with a certain degree of softness, and with natural colors. I you cannot see the difference in powders, you probably will not make the sale.

Use larger photos that are sharp, attractive, and well lighted. You are selling ambiance as much as product on your website. So the website should not be so small, should not be using weird colors, and should show some piazz! You need to show more reasons to use the products, much more detail, and more cost to value buying reasons. Its time to go back to the drawing board.

Did you use a good website designer? Yours is a crowded field with a lots of well funded competition. You have to stretch your legs if you want to compete.

MT (also a female)
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:07 PM   #5

Thank you for all of the advice. Actually, we are quite busy and the business is very successful as it stands. I was not concerned about the site content, or anything other than the camera assistance I had asked about. I really appreciate the advice so thank you for your time. I think the original advice offered about the lighting and camera distance is wonderful and something I am really going to try and explore in order to get a better quality of photograph!

As for going back to the drawing board....thanks!
mbaggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:13 PM   #6

I am glad that things are so successful for you. Congratulations. However, please consider re-shooting your photos and making them larger. A excellent flash diffusser like LightSphereII, or some softboxes,would go a long way toward softening your presently harshlighting. Tweak the focus a bit, and you probably have what you need.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote