Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1

I'm thinking of buying a Canon 30D and 2 L series lenses from the US as the price is much better than the UK. I understand that I "may" need to pay duty (6% i think), plus VAT @17.5% IF the goods are picked up by customs. If this happens I'll still be better off than buying in the UK, so that's fine.

My question is - I'm travelling to New York in July with the camera gear, what is the situation when I return to the UK, as if I've not paid the duties and VAT, presumably I must go through the "goods to declare" channel ?

Any advice appreciated.
thegripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to check with Canon in the UK to see if they will service a camera purchased in the U.S.

For example, I know that Nikon US will not service a camera intended for another market, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Nikon Canada has the same policy.

Because you bypass the regional distributors when making this kind of purchase (for example, Nikon US, Nikon Canada, Nikon Europe), they don't make any profit on the sale, and as a result do not want to incur any cost of repairing the cameras.

They take it one step further to discourage gray market cameras (cameras intended for a different region), by refusing to service one, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Canon in the UK may (or may not) have a more liberal policy on the servicing of gray market cameras. But, I'd make sure to get it in writing that they will actually service a camera bought in another region before making this kind of purchase.

Otherwise, you may need to send it to the U.S. for any service issues.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd not considered it, assuming that there would be a worldwide warranty.
thegripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Also, are you sure it's cheaper?

Cheaper than the high street perhaps, but...

Add duty & VAT and www.warehouseexpress.com and other online sites come out to be as cheap as getting it from HK or the US as far as I've seen.

And you get a UK warrantee.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:00 PM   #5
E.T

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Also, are you sure it's cheaper?

Cheaper than the high street perhaps, but...
And buying from other EU countries is possible so check prices in there.

http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=dcam&mpixel=7-
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6

u can bring £150 worth of stuff back from the USA, note thats in sterlin so it could be just short of $300 depending on exchange rate, which is pretty high at moment, not sure though if duty is payable on the extra or all on the price.
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote