Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:40 PM   #1

My wife and I are in the market for a new digital camera. We are looking at a digital SLR due to the speed of turn on and for shot to shot (FPS). We like to take photos of our kids and their sports. We also take many photos on family vacations and family get togethers. We are not professionals and probably never will be. We are looking for a solid dependable camera that we can use for many different occasions. We like the fact that SLR's can be modified for different circumstances and that you can take great action photos. Our photos would be approximately half inside half outside. We have been considering the Nikon D50 with the 2 Lens kit or the Olympus E500 with the 2 lens kit. Which one has the better kit lenses? Which one would be a better value? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I already have a 1GBHigh Speed Compact Flash Card. Should this be included in my decision process.
pettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:02 PM   #2

pettr-

Actually, and it is just my opinion, but I do not believe that the ownership of a single chip or card should completely drive your DSLR decision. Both the Olympus E-500 and the Nikon D-50 two lens kits offer an excellent value and will serve you well in use.

if you do a lot of low light level shooting, the obvious choice, due to its much better noise characteristics at high ISO settings is the Nikon D-50. The difference between the 8mp image offered by the Olympus E-500 versus the 6 mp image offered by the Nikon D-50 would only come into play if you were going to be doning enlargements greater than 11" X 14." By the way, did you know that the imager used on the E-500 is actually physically smaller, than the APS-C imager used on the Nikon D-50? That is why the D-50 has better noise characteristics at high ISO settings.

As far as the kit lens offered in each kit, the Olympus two lens kit, IMHO, actually offersslightly better and more useable lenses. Here in the USA, we are able to buy NIKON refurbished D-50 bodies for just $(US) 399. That is what I did.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:49 PM   #3

As always i Agree with MT.

The camera companies have made it even more difficult actually buying a DSLR than ever before, Why? Because when it comes down to itthey all deliver excellent photos! their differences all come down to how they dealwithyour specific shooting environment. For instance the E-500 will yield a bit more noise because of sensor size, but that doesn´t meanthat it´spictures are not good. It just means that if you are planning to mainly shoot lowlight there might be even better choices out there.The nikon D50 shows great performance at iso1600, and even better in lowlighting would probably be the KM Dynax5 with iso3200 and antishake. The Pentax ist* DL will also give you iso3200 ( and lots of cheap glass of ebay ).

I´m a biased D50 owner by the way! ( love it,but then again i just need an excuse to do like MT and own the whole lot of them ,KM,pentax ect.... )

Another very important point is.....Handling! Get the camera in your hand, and feel feel feeeeel... The sad fact ( speaking for myself of course ) is that all the antishakes and 200mp sensors won´t help me if i constantly get a cramp by holding the camera.If it feels like a tuna glued to television to hold, your camera will most likely end on the shelf.I felt the D50 is agreat machine to handle!

Last but not least. Glass!

For lowlight shooting a good prime is a treat ( and their cheap too ! ) 50mm F1.8 for 100$
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:07 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the input. We have been looking at both cameras at circuit city and at costco. I really like the E500 for its features, however, I am leaning towards the D50 because I feel the accessories later on may be more accessible.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:30 PM   #5

D50 might be worth for its value, its performance at high ISO level is the best in the market. Olympus E-500 has a smaller CCD than any of its competetors, so naturally it can't perform well at high ISO's. As other's said Nikon 50 1.8 prime lens is cheap lens which will deliver sharp images and can perform better because of its f/1.8. If you are looking for all-in-one lens you can also consider Nikons new18-200mm. It Vibration Reduction (VR) will a lot to reduce the blurandalso can shoot better in low light.
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:42 PM   #6

Would you go with a d50 or d70?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:58 PM   #7

I actually prefer my D-50 to my D-70 body which I now have for sale on E-Bay. To me the layout is better. Nikon makes a great camera and I have taken many fine photos with both the D-50 and the D-70.

MT
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:21 PM   #8

I preferred D50 over D70s, becausemost of the extra features in D70s does n't matter much to me & to most.

But D50's performance is better than D70s (or any other camera in the market)at higher ISO's which will deliver smooth images.

Following are the key differances. In DC resource webpage you can also check the sample images at ISO1600 with D50 & D70.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:59 PM   #9

Thanks to all that have replied. Looking through the forum and listening to what has been said I chose to go with the D50KIT with the 18-54mm. It was in stock and a pretty good deal from CC. ($665 plus 0% financing for 18mths). I could not find one of the two lens kits locally, however, I did find a Tamron 18-200mm. Is this a decent lens. Although I know there would be an overlap ( and no real use for the kit lens other than a backup) I like the fact that I would not have to be changing lense alot. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:20 PM   #10

pettr-

The Nikon D-50, the kit lens, andthe Tamron 18-200 lens in an excellent combination that will save many lens changes and provide you with an excellent walk around lens that will cover 90+% of your shooting needs.

Congratulations on making that decision. Now enjoy a great DSLR camera.

MT