Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:11 AM   #1

Guys!

I was all set to buy Canon A610, when I came to know that it has now been discontinued by Canon.

So not even a single unit is available here at my place.

I am now looking forward to get A530. But I am still not sure if this will be able to stand next to A610 reputation as A610, we all know, is(was) a great camera. So could you please help me out on this? Whether A530 would turn out to be a good choice? And please do tell something about its picture quality. Also out of A530 and A620, which one do you think will turn out to be a great value for money?

Waiting for your reply.
viv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:49 AM   #2

viv5-

The Canon A-530 is designed to be an entry level camera. Therefore the A-540 selling for approximately $(US) 70 more, hasadded features, and more resolution.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a530.html

The A-620 is an even better camera, featuring nine point advanced auto focus and even more features. For the Canon A-series cameras the A-620 represents the best there is to offer. Here is the review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620.html

IMHO if I had to make the choice between the Canon A-530 and the A-620, my choice would definitely be the A-620. If budget is a problem, give some consideration to the A-540.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:49 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments.

Also considering the fact that A610 has now been discontinued, is there any point in purchasing it? – What if I need to get it repaired under warranty period. I know I should ask this question to the dealer but will the company consider the warranty of the discontinued model?
viv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:17 PM   #4

hi.

can anyone tell me when was canon powershot a620 release?

does anyone knows for how long does canon plan to have it for sell before she's replace by another model?

thanks!
sopra_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:37 PM   #5

Well, the review is dated 11/04/2005. We can make the assumption that the review was done at or within a month or two of the A-620 introduction. So the A-620 using that approach to dating is about 6 to 7 months old.

MT
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:50 PM   #6

Since when has the A610 been discontinued? It is widely on sale here in the UK as is the A620. They were only introduced in the summer of last year and the A530/540 certainly aren't their replacements. They replaced the A510/520 cameras.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:53 PM   #7

I just bought a new A610 on e-bay, and there were several of them. I got it for $170.

FBMOM
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:34 PM   #8

futbolmom-

Does that mean that the venerable Fuji S-602 is about to be retired, or are you replacing the dropped camera. You will really like the Canon A-610, it is a great camera and will work well with the slave flash.

MT
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:19 PM   #9

Hi MT. No, I'm not retiring the S602 quite yet, although I don't really use it anymore. The Canon is replacing the one my daughter dropped. I'm stillgoing to get a DSLR, (leaning toward the Nikon D-50, although the Rebel keeps creeping in on occasion) just waiting for the financial part of the equation to add up...tax's you know...

It's good to hear from you MT. See you around the forum!:bye:

FBmom

futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote