Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:00 PM   #1

:?

I am not sure which camera is best for my needs. I need a zoom at least 10x and Image stabilization.

I am taking sports pictures and indoors in a high school gym.

I had decided on the Fz7, but the noise everyone talks about is concerning. Would that be a factor for me? I don't plan to print above 8x10.

I also thought about the fz30, I REALLY enjoy the manual zoom feature, but again the noise.

The fujifilm 5200 doesn't have IS, which I think I need.

I also looked at Canon S2 IS. I have a canon A95 and the pictures are good, redeye is a big problem and all my indoor gym pictures are on the dark side. Is that a user problem or a camera problem?

Between the 3, which would be better for me. I need a somewhat easy to use, but with a zoom and probably an AF low light assist? maybe?

Or, should I wait for the S3 to come out and compare the 4???

[align=center]Please help![/align]

[align=center][/align]
bethel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:42 PM   #2

Actually, this is probably the job of an IS equipped DSLR camera such as the KM 5D. None of the cameras you mentioned are capable of taking photos withouta flash in a indoor, lighted gym.

If you can use flash that might be a different equation. I am making the assumption that you want to stop action. Please give us some more details regarding your requirements.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:48 PM   #3
E.T

bethel02 wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure which camera is best for my needs.¬* I need a zoom at least 10x and Image stabilization.
Image stabilization doesn't help with fast action unless motion blur is what you want. But if you're using longer tele and action isn't such fast it can actually help somewhat... longest motion blur free shutter time depends much on speed of movement.

And zoom number doesn't tell anything concretic, it's pure "hype"! Important thing is what you photograph and what are focal lengths of lens' wide angle and tele.

Quote:
I had decided on the Fz7, but the noise everyone talks about is concerning.¬* Would that be a factor for me?¬* I don't plan to print above 8x10.
Test yourself
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/p1000048.jpg
As to how low light level ISO400 would be enough, that you should ask from others... or actually you can test that by setting your current camera to ISO400 and trying how well it handles situation. (without flash)

And remember that shots of FZ7 over ISO400 have resolution of under 2MP so those would be bad for anything larger than normal paper photo size...
Actually FZ30 could have slightly better noise, it's sensor is larger meaning physical size of pixel in sensor is propably bigger.

Instead of Fuji S5200 I would suggest checking S9000, it has manual zoom instead of crappy button zoom...
I sport where location of action changes you definitely don't want to waste time strugling with slow and inaccurate button zoom.

Quote:
I need a somewhat easy to use, but with a zoom and probably an AF low light assist?
AF assists systems are completely useless at propable distances you would need to take photos.
You would either have to set focus manually to preset distance or use half pressing to focus beforehand when you anticipate chance for good shot.

Quote:
I have a canon A95 and the pictures are good, redeye is a big problem and all my indoor gym pictures are on the dark side.¬* Is that a user problem or a camera problem?
Red eyes are "feature" of all compact cameras having flash close to lens.
And you don't find any camera whose internal flash would be enough for lightning bigger room than closet.
You would need something like this, depending ISO and used focal length it's enough to light much over 20 meters (60 feets)... but then again how powerfull flash you can use without disturbing players? Of course if you're just using flash to illuminate up to that distance what you photograph that might not be a problem unless there's someone much closer to you.

(good analogy for comparison of that and internal flash of your camera would be comparing truck's headlights to flashlight)

Quote:
Or, should I wait for the S3 to come out and compare the 4?
Canon S3 very propably uses same sensor as Sony H2 and here's style demonstration how grossly exceeding capabilities of small, even higher megapixel sensor and excessive noise removing destroys colors while still leaving lot of chroma/color noise.
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not..._H2_ISO400.jpg
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not...H2_ISO1000.jpg

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Actually, this is probably the job of an IS equipped DSLR camera such as the KM 5D.
Yep, DSLR with fast lens (possibly fixed focal length ="non-zoomable" prime) is surest bet for indoor sport.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4

My indoor pictures are of my kids wrestling. I can get semi close to the mat, so I have been using the flash.

As for the KM 5d, I was not considering a dslr because of the need to change lens. I figured the fz30 or s9000 would do the job without the need of lens, but if I need something like that toget decent pictures,that is the route I will have to go.

My old 35mm is a minolta, and I have loved it I have a small lensthat was bought with the camera and another one for zoom capability. I didnt' considerKM because I heard in several reviews that KM is getting bought out by sony and I didnt' want a camera if It may become hard in a while to find lenses, etc. Didnt know how buying out works. :bye:

but, after I look at it closely, I may choose adslr.

what type of lens would I need to get the zoom of the other two? I am not sure how the mm works? Is 12x zoom = 432 mm?

Am I foolish to spend that much money on a dslr if I only need it for sports and some landscape shots (up in the mountains)

Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:23 PM   #5
E.T

bethel02 wrote:
Quote:
My indoor pictures are of my kids wrestling.¬* I can get semi close to the mat, so I have been using the flash.
Now that would mean that flash using flash would be possible without blinding everyone who are closer to you and looking towards... and in this port there wouldn't be any players looking towards you and for audience it's jsut one flash among others.
(I would guess you see quite a lot flashes there)

Quote:
I figured the fz30 or s9000 would do the job without the need of lens
FZ30 wouldn't be good choise, lot of megapixels crammed into small sensor made with propably the worst sensor technology in use.

Now S9000 could be quite good but its lens isn't very "bright" at tele end, only F4.9¬*when for example lens of KonicaMinolta A200 is F3.5 at tele meaning Fuji either needs doubled exposure time or increasing sensitivity one step upwards.
Fuji actually has higher selectable sensitivity and slightly better sensor with really effective noise removing but in reality situation would be quite even because with very simple post processing (pressing couple buttons) you can get good results from sensor used in A200 and situation would be even.

http://rapidshare.de/files/14515406/...essed.exe.html
(self extracting archive, originals are from Steve Digicam's KM A2 review)

A200 has shorter tele 200mm vs 300mm but then again it has image stabilization which enables two to three stops longer shake free shutter times if stationary target photography happens to be area you're also interested.
Considering your current camera A200's tele would give double "magnification" (height of target would be double) so that should help visualizing difference and is that focal length enough.

Quote:
I didnt' consider¬*KM because I heard in several reviews that KM is getting bought out by sony and I didnt' want a camera if It may become hard in a while to find lenses, etc.
DSLRs are just the reason why Sony wanted to buy KM so you can bet that there will be more lenses and cameras available for that lens mount.

Also Sony takes over servicing KonicaMinolta cameras. (actually availability of service can rise in some countries)

BTW, one very considerable difference between DSLR or non-DLSR is that later can take videos:
This is good example for quality of videos non-DSLRs can take.

Quote:
what type of lens would I need to get the zoom of the other two?¬* I am not sure how the mm works?¬* Is 12x zoom = 432 mm?
Zoom number means longest focal length divided by shortest.
So simply examples both 50-100mm and 500-1000mm lenses would be 2x zooms or 10-100mm and 100-1000mm would be 10x zooms.

So it would depend on required focal length.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:41 PM   #6

I appreciate all your advice. In looking at the dslr's I came across circuit city with the Nikon d50 with 2 lens for $854 plus tax. The lens are 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

found on buydig.com too. Seems like a reputable dealer. The package deal seems reasonable.

So if I figure out what you told me about the zoom, the 2nd would be like the 10x zoom?

Is the Nikon something I could consider as well? I am having trouble finding the Km 5d. Not many websites that sell it.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:20 PM   #7

Yes, the Nikon D-50 two lens kit would work quite well for your proposed photos and not only give you much better photo quality, but much greater flexibility as well. The 200mm lens would give you between 8X and 9X optical zoom and be ideal for the wrestling shots you describe.

The built-in flash on the Nikon D-50 is quite powerful, so this should insure some great shots. Ihave purchased multiple cameras from BuyDig and they are very reputable.

MT
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:40 PM   #8

Do you think this is too much camera for what I am going to use it for?

I assume the NIkon would be good for outdoor action shots as well.and I would probably have to read the manual a few times over.

but, I am almost positive I have made my mind up. I am probably going to go to buydig.com and get the package. Cheaper than buying everything separate.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!

I have read so many reviews and been in other forums, but this one is the most helpful.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:37 PM   #9

bethel-

You will do fine with the Nikon D-50. It is a fun camera. I have one myself. Good decision, you will praise yourself later for making that decision.

MT
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:49 PM   #10

THANK YOU!

This was a tough decision,now I just have to figure out where to buy and what to buy with it.

beth