Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:18 PM   #1

I am not sure which camera to buy.
Here's what I'm looking for:

- Not a SLR camera (both aren't).
- Good optical zoom (both 4x).
- High resolution to zoom on the picture.
- Takes good night picture (I love outside night picture).
- Good auto-mode (still have much to learn before doing manual settings).

What I like and like about E900:
- You have to open the flash. Bad
- High price for XD memory cards. Bad
- Comes with 2 nimh battery. Good

What I don't like about A620:
- Need 4 AA battery. Bad
- Vari-angle LCD screen. Good

Both are the same price.
I also checked the sony DSCW7.

So, what do you think?
Thanks!

bettrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:34 PM   #2

bettrave-

I own both the Fuji E-900 and the Canon A-620. The Canon wins hands down by a wide margin. In fact, I purchased the A-620 after I owned the E-900. 'nuff said.

Regarding the Panasonic FZ-7. Its nice camera but it shows a lot of noise from ISO 200 on up.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:13 PM   #3

MT:

The A620 is better on everything? (night shots, image quality, ...)
The E900 is 9 megapixels and the the A620 is only a 7.1.

bettrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4

The bottomline is that the Canon A-620 is the better camera. Since I own them both, I keep comparing, but the A-620 just keeps winning, all the time.

MT
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:22 AM   #5

MT,

I am very interested in this conversation as am considering both cameras. The Canon flip LCD appeals to me, and I have had a Canon S45 so am familiar with the interface. However, the wider angle, smaller size, and low light capapability of the E900 also appeal to me. Can you please give specifics as to what it is you strongly prefer about the 620? Is the E900 better ijnany department? I also like Fuji colors in general. Thanks
mulifat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:05 AM   #6

IMHO the Canon A-620 has a better dynamic range with less sharp contrastiness. I do like the fold out LCD screen a lot, and if the low light capability of the E-800 appeals to you then consider the A-700.

The wide angle on the E-900 is only a 31mm wide angle which is not very wide at all. If you want wide, take a look at the Nikon 8400, with a real wide angle of 24mm. Perhaps it is just me, but for me, the A-620 provides images that have more range. The choice is your of course. I am just telling you what appeals to me.

MT
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:06 AM   #7

IMHO the Canon A-620 has a better dynamic range with less sharp contrastiness. I do like the fold out LCD screen a lot, and if the low light capability of the E-800 appeals to you then consider the A-700.

The wide angle on the E-900 is only a 31mm wide angle which is not very wide at all. If you want wide, take a look at the Nikon 8400, with a real wide angle of 24mm. Perhaps it is just me, but for me, the A-620 provides images that have more range. The choice is your of course. I am just telling you what appeals to me.

MT
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:06 AM   #8

MT
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:45 AM   #9

MT,
you were once so enthusastic about the Fuji E900. What made you change your mind? I remember well the thread over in the Fuji forum with the guy, who looked a little bit like the young Graucho Marx. You exchanged some lovely pictures there.

Yes, such a flip out display is a great thing. Even when you don't use it, it is quite useful because it protects the LCD. When I sold my Powershot S1 IS on Ebay last week, I could safely say that the display has absolutely no scratches - after about 10000 pictures. The replacement camera, a Konica Minolta A200, of course, has the same flip out display as the previous Powershot S1. If you had it once, you never want to miss it again.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:58 AM   #10

Kassandro-

Yes, the Fuji E-900 is a capable camera, but the A-620 IMHO has a bit more. The fold out LCD is big for me, and the better dynamic range just is too good to pass up. As you will recall, I got the E-900 first and the A-620 later. I could see the difference in the images.

MT