Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:14 PM   #1

After a long inquiry I selected these cameras:
Canon Powershot S2 IS
Panasonic FZ20

I'm italian and here the price of these two beauties is quite the same...so i have only to choose....

I can say that i know everything about their specs and just two days ago i was decided to buy the Canon, but now i am stuck because i've read about the Panny Fz20 and fell in love with its black color and its "tank" shape...

The point is that i want a camera to use everyday but even to learn something about making professional digital photography, and the Fz20 seems quite more professional.

Any advice?
zakka76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:21 PM   #2

Have you looked at the Panasonic FZ7 yet,,, the thing about panasonic is they have to much noise from ISO 200 and up, you want a professional non dslr camera have a look at the Fuji S9500 nice...
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:29 PM   #3

The Fuji would be great...but it is quite out of my budget!

The Fz7 is very small and nice, but it doesn't have the same superb (the best on the near-slr market) Fz20's leica lens and the noise is very high in the samples that i've seen on the web...but i have to say that the Fz7 has been on the top of my personal wish-list for days!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:45 PM   #4

Go here they have good prices i wish i saw it before i bought my S9500.. www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/page.htlm
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:54 PM   #5

Wow!
Great prices!
Thanks Hercules!
I will think about the Fuji........
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:03 PM   #6

I could of saved myself 200 euro...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:06 PM   #7

Are you happy with your Fuji?
I have read somewhere that the quality image is quite blurry for the Fuji's standards...
...and how do you feel with the dimension of the camera?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:13 PM   #8

No the cameras great i love it. It feels like a real dslr and looks exactly like one, it is worth it but you have to get used to it, and has an anti blur mode that works great at full zoom.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:25 PM   #9

The FZ20 is a half stop faster at full zoom and has a hot shoe. With my FZ10 I find myself pushing the capability of the stabilization and having to use burst mode to get a few really sharp images even shooting something in the shade on a sunny day. The half stop would be significant to me.

You can take better flash shots with an external flash and get a lot more range. Panasonic makes it difficult in very low light though because the viewfinder and LCD dim to the point it is hard to frame.

If you think you might be interested in movies the S2 is a no-brainer. Movies on the FZ20 are too small to be worth the trouble IMO. The S2 is probably the best digital camera on the market for movies. The movies are stabilized and you can zoom while recording. It also has wind buffered stereo mics.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:18 PM   #10
E.T

Actually you forget to tell what you would photograph...
If you're after wide landscapes and architecture super/ultrazooms are generally anything else than best choises, wide angle of those is very limited and some other cameras would be much better choises despite of their lower zoom numbers. (which itself is pure hype and doesn't tell anything concretic... maybe except advertisers couldn't find better things to toute)
That longest tele is mostly usefull just in wild animal/bird photography.

Actually Fuji S9500 is almost only exception of long/10x zoom cameras with good wide angle.

As you're from Europe here's very good price comparison for comparing prices of cameras:
http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=dcam

hercules wrote:
Quote:
It feels like a real dslr and looks exactly like one...
I disagree:
1: It doesn't have good non-menu surfing controls.
2: And not even batterypack/vertical grip to give you good grip from it. (plus handstrap for extra safety of grip)
:G

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The S2 is probably the best digital camera on the market for movies.
Definitely not, it uses very space inefficient motion JPEG and can take just under 9 minutes to 1GB card while cameras using MPEG4 can fit much more than half hours to that.
(and zooming ability inside videos isn't anything new, manually zoomed cameras have had that literally for ages - in time scale of digicams)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote