Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: canon SD550 or Sony P200
CANON SD550 0 0%
SONY P200 0 0%
NONE 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:48 AM   #1

Hi,

I am planning to buy a camera. I am visiting Japan shortly. So I want to know if it is really worth waiting to buy camera in Japan and also want to know the price difference. If it is gonna be cheap there when compared to US, I am ready to wait.

Also I am confused whether to buy canon SD550or sony P200 . Which one do you suggest?

asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2

I was visiting Japan extensivelylast Fall and I found that camera prices in Japan were substantially higher than in the USA. Also a camera purchased in Japan, depending on your choice, may not be afforded warranty service here in the USA.

Both the Canon SD-550 and Sony P-200's are excellent cameras. However, the P-200 is become a bit more difficult to find as production on the P series cameras has terminated and Sony is pushing the W-series cameras, such as the W-50.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3

Get the camera as soon as possible and take lots of photos. There is always a learning curve and you don't want to be at the lower end of that curve on your trip.

Both of those cameras are good and have different advantages. Both excellent 7Mp sensors. Both have optical viewfinders.

The Canon SD550 produces higher definition images. It isn't something you would likely see in normal use unless you had a very large print made for your wall or normally view images 100% where you have to scroll around the screen to see the entire thing.

The SD550 has a very strong flash for a small camera.

The P200 has some manual controls where the SD550 is a pure point and shoot. The one real advantage to the P200 is that the odd shape let them put the flash further from the lens. That gives much less red-eye than most small cameras. If you aren't into post processing that might be significant.

The P200 had some problems getting dust inside when people regularly carried them in their pockets. It can happen with most cameras and I have no idea whether the P200 suffered from a running thread or was actually more prone to dust intrusion. I also have no idea whether Sony improved the seal on later models. Other than that it is a fairly reliable camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:44 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am thinking of choosing P200 over SD550 after reading the website about "canon E18 error". Not sure if this is true, but thought may not be worth the risk. It will be great to know if you have any suggestions/comments on this.

http://e18.bitnet.cx/comments.php

Appreciate your response,

Asha
asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:57 PM   #5

asha-

If red-eye is a concern of yours the P-200 will go much further than the SD-550 in eliminating the red eye problem. The B-18 error seems to occur less frequently with the newer Canon cameras.

Many retailers are still showing the P-200 in stock. Certainly both camera have each got a legion of loyal suppoters.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote