Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1

I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ-30, FZ-27, Canon Powershot S2 IS and Sony Cybershot H1
Any help?
nitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:22 PM   #2

nitram-

Each camera has a legion of supporters. The professional reviewers have give each camera a well recommended evaluation, so the choice really is yours. The Panasonic cameras seem to exhibit measurable noise above ISO 200, some point to the added expense of Sony memory sticks, someclaim that the IS of the Canon is not quuite as effective as the other two etc. But there truly is no clear cut winner.

The choce is yours.Any of these three cameras will give you fine service.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:53 PM   #3
E.T

Actually you might have hard time finding FZ-27, there's just separate FZ-20 and FZ-7 models.

Also before selecting camera I would suggest listing what you would photograph, if landscapes and architecture are anywhere else than in bottom of list "super" zooms (except Fuji S9000/Samsung 815) aren't good choises, they don't have good wide angle.
("zoom" numbers are pure hype and don't tell anything concretic)

EDIT: That Fuji S9000 mentioned by automaton2 would really good candidate because it has 28mm wide angle.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:50 PM   #4

what about the fuji s9000 much less noise than panasonic

honestly i was checking out these bridge cameras

:|

and almost every review mentioned dslr benefits

versus noise and fixed lens from superzooms

i ended up with a d50 currently< 500$

got mine at beach for 519 free ship

and a tamron 28-200 lens [currently] 179$ @ thecamerabox

automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:56 PM   #5

I agree that the Fuji S-9000 is certainly a good candidate in this selection process. However, anyone who is seriously looking at the Fuji S-9000, should understand that those images, will require some post processing. Whereas, the photos from the Canon S-2, and the Sony H-1 will not necessarily require post processing.

The Panasonic photos, if taken at high (+200ISO) will require processing in Neat Image or Noise Ninja.

MT
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:44 PM   #6

my vote goes to the panasonic fz30. i have used this camera for 3 months and my opinion of it is that it is only beaten by an dslr (excluding freaks like sony's r1).
sure, it's noisy above iso 100 but so are it's rivals. some of them, infact, noisier.
and, for the price it is sold for, you can't go wrong with the fz30.
that's just my opinion. i'm sure there's other people that would find in favor of other brands.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:56 PM   #7

I've had the Panasonic Lumix FZ-30, , Canon Powershot S2 IS, Sony Cybershot H1, and the KODAK P850. I used my step Daughters NIKON 8700 for a time.

For my money I use the KODAK DX and Z 7590, added a sync flash and a few lenes. Great little rigs. One thing though. It does not come with snob appeal.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:09 PM   #8

sw2cam-

You make a very valid point. Kodak cameras are good deal more able than some users may realize. I am sure nitram is facing a real choice.

Nitram-

You see we have loyal supporters for just about every camera on your list. Please give us some additional information on your proposed uses for this soon to be acquired camera.

MT
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:05 AM   #9

I am currently facing the same decision (see my thread) and currently it looks like I will get the koMi A200. While it has a much shorter tele than the FZ30, good wide-angle is much more often needed than a really long tele.

Another advice would be not to give too much about discussion on noise comparing superzooms with DSLRs. Just look at the pictures on Steve's, DPReview etc. and judge what looks best to YOU.
uz-guy is offline   Reply With Quote