Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:41 AM   #1

I've narrowed it down to these two:

E-500 (kit with 14-45 f3.5/5.6 and 40-150 f3.5/4.5 lenses)
---------
+ super cheap right now with the 2-lens kit and rebate
+ sensor cleaning system
+ faster writing to CF card
- smaller sensor
- modest selection of lenses, the good lenses are pricey
- focus by wire, menu to switch between auto and manual focus

*ist DL (body plus 16-45 f4.0 and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 lenses)
---------
+ wider choice of lenses, good lenses aren't as expensive
+ larger sensor
+ uses standard batteries
- slower writing to SD card
~ only 6 MP--but 10 MP body coming this fall?

I'm sure either would be more than adequate to my needs (and even more so, to my ability). Sticking with my C-700 UZ is not an option. All advice and opinions welcome.
jdschulteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2

If you are going to do a lot of low level light shots, the Pentax would be your choice. The Olympus E-500, while a good camera, is hampered by its smaller CMOS imager, and its lack of good performance at high ISO settings.

You also might want to look at the Pentax DS model which has now been discounted, as it has a much better viewfinder than the DL.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:40 AM   #3

I am a new E-500 owner....after having considered both the D-50 and the Rebel XT....both of which are superb cameras.

I have had excellent results ie: no significant noise issues at ISO 800. On some other discussion boards other OLY E system owners are having excellent success with ISO 1600 with aminimum of PP. IMO the high ISO noise issues..which are there...barely....are being way overblown.

Just my observations....good luck with your decision!
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:14 AM   #4

Just wondering: Why did you not consider the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D as one of your choices? To me it is by far the best value as far as affordable DSLR's are concerned.Built-in anti-shake was what closed me on it.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:23 AM   #5

rduve-

And the availability of all those older, but excellent, and very usable older/used lenses from Minolta (now easily available on E-Bay), make the KM 5D really a DSLR that has to be seriously considered when looking at DSLR cameras.

MT
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6

True, I got a 90-300 Tamron lens WITH a fully functioning film SLR for $26 (!) on ebay.

:-)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:53 PM   #7

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Just wondering: Why did you not consider the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D as one of your choices? To me it is by far the best value as far as affordable DSLR's are concerned.Built-in anti-shake was what closed me on it.
No real reason. In my area it's a little hard to find one in a store that you can just pick up and play with. The engineer in me does admire the genius of the "instead of moving the lens, let's just move the sensor!" anti-shake technology. Wish I could get that and Olympus' sensor cleaning tech all in one camera. I have a Minolta Vectis APS P&S, a decent camera except that it was APS (expensive film, expensive batteries, expensive processing--yeesh, what a mistake) and the battery door latch broke (I was taping it shut, up until I went digital). I wonder about the future of the line now that it's been bought by Sony.

[I just took more of a look at the Minolta. To me it is by far the ugliest camera in its class (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know). It's also more than 4 oz heavier.]

While I'm at it--I ruled out the Nikon D50 because I found the grip uncomfortably large.
The Canon Rebel XT, although improved over its older brother, still has a cheaply-built feel to it. Add in the small LCD and higher price and it's pretty much out of the running.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:19 PM   #8

You are right the KM5D's are getting harder to find, but there are still some around. I can definitely recommend them. I am not concerned about the future. Sony has committed itself to continue to produce compatible cameras with the same mounts.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:29 PM   #9

I had the chance to handle both side-by-side in a store today. I'm giving the DL the edge in ergonomics for its top-mount status LCD and auto/manual focus switch. Just a subjective judgement but the E-500 autofocus seems noticeably faster.

I suppose it would only cost me about $150 extra to buy both for an extended trial and then sell the loser on eBay.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:26 AM   #10

Keep in mind that the Olympus E-500 focusing speed varies, depending onwhich lens is mounted on the camera.

MT