Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

I realy like the weather/waterproof capablites of these cameras (I live in FL and we are at the beach all the time). Can anyone recommend which one is best between the two? Any other suggestions are appreciated too. I am basically in the market for a very compact camera and in my research to find a good one (hopefully the best), thisfeature jumped out at me. I have a huge list of other cameras I am considering also. Some are too new (or not even out yet) and I'm not sure I can wait (going on Vacation May 31st and would like "practice" time before) but if they are really worth the way, I guess I will. Here's the list, and like I said, ANY help is very much appreciated!!!

Sony P200, N1, T9

Fuji F30

Canon SD 550, 600, 630 or wait for the 700

Panasonic FX9, FX01

Casio Z750, 850

Kodak V550, 570

I know, the list is huge and each one has great features. This camera will be used mainly for shots of my kids, vacations, casual usage etc.

Thanks!!!
j-boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:15 PM   #2

Hi j-boat:

Look at the new Olympus Stylus 720SW. Waterproof to 3 meters, and shockproof to falls and knocks. Its one of most rugged cameras for your needs, and will be perfect for the beach.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...mpus_720sw.asp

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...terid=17865863

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:50 PM   #3

Thanks Steven! So you like the 720 over the 800? Can I ask why? Do you have any input of the quality of photos I will get from any of them?

Thanks again!!
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:00 PM   #4

J-boat-

I own a Olympus Stylus 800 and IMHO there is excessive in camera processing which actually creates photo artefacts that you can see in the images. I would not reccommend the Stylus 800. The Fuji F-30 would, once again IMHO be a much better choice for a low light level capable camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:07 PM   #5

Another member of this forum has postedsome first pictures from his new 720. He seems positive on the picture quality.

http://web.mac.com/davidpoe/iWeb/Site/b1.jpg

http://web.mac.com/davidpoe/iWeb/Site/hideface.jpg

http://web.mac.com/davidpoe/iWeb/Site/w.jpg

As I now live in Florida, I know your concern about the environmental conditionsat the beach. I don't take my expensive cameras for a day at the beach.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:53 PM   #6

I don't know why I am having such a hard time deciding whch camera to buy. There are different features about each one that I could really use...too bad they aren't all rolled into one package. The camera that this one is replacing is a very old Nikon Coolpix 2500 which I have loved. But my husband has starting using it on his job so I am taking that as an opportunity to upgrade. That being said, the Coolpix is only 2MP so I would imagine that anything I buy I will think is great. I do have a Fuji E550 and to be honest, it's too much camera for me. I don't yet know how to do all that it offers and so it goes unused. And I have had a lot of blurry pictures I guess due to camera shake...actually, I have always preferred my Coolpix over it because of that and a few other things (size etc). I think a waterproof camera would be great for us but maybe I should get a better camera and just buy the cheap throw aways for the beach.

So is the Fuji worth waiting for?? We have a big vacation planned for the end of May and I want "practice" time before we leave.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7

j-boat-

The Fuji E-550 is very capable of excellent photos. Could understanding digital cameras in general, be a problem. Perhaps you could find a course at your local Community College that would help you get a jump start.

You mentioned the Kodak V-550 in your opening post. The Kodak V-550 is an excellent, easy to operate, small, handy, pocket sized, camera. Perhaps you might want to revisit the V-550.

MT

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:26 AM   #8

I am very aware of the excellent photos the E550 takes. I use it when I know I want to get great quality photos. We go to the beach quite often at sunset, I always take the Fuji and have gotten fabulous photos of the sunset and the kids. And in most cases I am pleased with it's performance. There have just been a few times when I was very disappointed with the blurry shots during important events. One that comes to the top of my head was a function at my son's school in the cafeteria. Relatively low light conditions, I was about half way back from the stage and when it came time for my son's turn on the stage....ALL of my pictures were blurry.I was sitting right behind someone and I could see her camera, all of her shots were great!(should have paid closer attention to what kind of camera it was!)A very important memory now blurred out. I was so disappointed!I am also an avid scrapbooker and knowing that those shots were no good got to me. I have basically never, under any conditions, been disappointed with the pic's the Coolpix takes. Never blurry, always well exposed etc.

However, I do feel I have a pretty good knowlegde of digital cameras, I have been working with them for 4 years now. I know that there is a lot of advanced elements that I am clueless about, like all the manual adjustments to be made on the camera...I just don't get it. Or how someone has the time to make those adjustments while trying to get the shot of a 3 year old in a moment of cuteness. I have looked around for classes so I can be better informed but I am having a hard time finding any inmy area. A really great point and shoot maybe the best option for me...so I shall relook at the Kodaks. Thanks, and keep the advice coming!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:44 PM   #9

J-boat-

Now you have quite a bit of experience with digital cameras according to your posts. Why not take a look at the new Canon A-540. It has 6mp and a great 2.5" indoor/outdoor LCD screen. It is getting really great reviews.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a540.html

It might provide more options, and give you a camera you could have more confidence in during use. Another camera worth a look is the Canon A-620.

MT