Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:43 PM   #11

Must your choice be an Ultra Zoom and is the IS feature an absolute must? How much low level light shooting do you do? please tell us more about the kind of photos that you like to take on a regular basis.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:35 AM   #12

IS is a must, since my hand shakes quite a bit, and I really want long zoom to take photos of wildlife, ie. birds.

I do 40% low light/night shooting, and 60% outdoor shooting in bright sunlight.

I like to shoot water photos, action photos, landscape photos, and portraits.

At the moment, someone suggested to me the Sony DSC-H5, so I am trying find some information on it.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:36 AM   #13
E.T

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
The Samsung Pro 815 looks good, but I have very little faith in Korean products , due to prior bad experiences.

Basically, I want a camera that :
1. Image Stabilised
For some reason they forgot stabilization from that model but I think its weight is such that it will stabilize it to some level. (time that your hands can bear its weight)

And if it makes you happier repairman of local electronics repairshop could mock every electronics brand there is regardless where they're made.
(and actually friend has not best possible memories from Canon's service)

3 and 4. Those are mutually exclusive, even Fuji achieves small noise level mostly with very strong incamera noise removing.

5. Both focusing time and shot to shot time I assume?
Less surprisingly DSLRs are again best in both.

7. If you have shaky hands using LCD is worst thing you can do (unless using tripod), it's magnitudes more shake prone position than using EVF when camera is supported also to forehead!

Panasonics ISOs over 400 are fraud, despite camera spews them out at 6MP they have ~1.5MP resolution, propably not even that after going through all that processing. (that fraud is called as "pixel binning" in PR BS of marketing clowns)

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
I do 40% low light/night shooting, and 60% outdoor shooting in bright sunlight.

At the moment, someone suggested to me the Sony DSC-H5, so I am trying find some information on it.
If that 40% is only stationary targets then you could do that using tripod and longer shutter times.
In bright light all cameras with good controls can be used to take shots of fast targets

Expect only worser noise from it... now they crammed 7 megapixels to that tiniest sensor so output of that camera might make H2's noisiness look small!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:52 AM   #14

So - you think Sony cameras have much less noise ?

Then it is down to just the Sony H2, H5, or Canon S3 IS .....

I really like Canon, but H2, H5 have less noise ?

Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:12 PM   #15

Yes, the Sony cameras should have less noise than other cameras with the same Sony sensor. On the other hand, in all other respects the Canon S3 IS should perform better and it is a lot more versatile (flip out display, nice pano assist, etc.). Also you are not stuck with the brain dead Sony memory stick. Sony should be punished for trying to force a proprietary standard on their customers and the best punishment is not buy their products.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:31 PM   #16
E.T

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
So - you think Sony cameras have much less noise ?
Not really: here's ISO400 of H2:
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not..._H2_ISO400.jpg
When using it's high sensitivity mode overprocessing of high noise destroys even colors and result looks more like (rough and detailles) grayscale image, except for chroma/colour noise.

And H5 again has still more megapixels in same sized sensor so noise in it at least ain't any better.

Same sensor is very propably used also in Canon S3.
(Sony makes very big part of sensors used in non-SLR)

But like kassandro said I would stay away from those Sonys because of Sony's proprietary "scheisse" stick.
(plus Sony wants to use rootkit virus copy protections to prevent you from listening music with devices you want to listen)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:34 PM   #17

I think the MS format is okay, since I have a spare 2GB MS Duo that can be used if I buy the H2 or H5.

I did a comparison, and found that the Sony H2 was almost identical in features to the Canon S3 IS, except that apparently the H2 uses the old USB 1.1 standard, it has a bigger LCD, and does not have a swivel screen.

I did notice, however, that the H2 and H5 used Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar Lens, which is superior to the Canon Lens of the S3 IS.

The funny thing is, what is the difference between Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar and Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar Lens ? Which is better ?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:22 PM   #18

The difference in the Zeiss lens used is absolutely minimal. However, keep in mind that you are creeping ever closer to the prices of the consumer DSLR cameras. And did you know that the KM 5d, which is still widely available, has IS?

The KM 5D would give you much more flexibility and there are hundreds of used Minolta lens that can be very inexpensively purchased on E-Bay. The noise issue would gocompletely away with a consumer DSLR camera such as the KM5d, which have much larger imagers.

Also did you know that the KM 5D has more dynamic range than Canon's most expensive DSLR cameras. This was proved this week in a recent dynamic range test of DSLR cameras.

MT

Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:07 AM   #19

MT,
you shouldn't forget that Australia isn't the US. It is a remote island at the end of the world. It is very large but the size of the population is relatively small. Smaller manufacturers like Konica Minolta simply can't afford a full presence there, because the market is too small. There is likely no critical mass for a liquid Ebay lense market either.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:39 PM   #20

kassandro-

I surely do agree on the geographic statistics, my friend. However, I constantly see people from Australia both buying and selling on the USA version of E-Bay. So, I still see the USA market as a good source for older, but bargain priced lenses for the K-M SLR cameras, even for Australians.

MT