Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:19 PM   #1

I was planning to get Canon A530 when Sony DSC W50 came to my notice. I am in a dilemma (dilemmas really sucks).
Both are P&S cameras.

Canon A530
-------------
4x OPTICAL ZOOM (+)
MANUAL WHILE BALANCE (+)
Canon Tag (+)

77K Pixel 1.8" LCD (-)
Movie Mode isn't good – max. 20fps (-)

SONY DSC W50
-----------------
6MP CCD (+)
2.5" 125K Pixel LCD (+)
Movie mode is terrific – 30fps (+)
Light and Compact (+)

No Manual controls at all (-)
3x OPTICAL ZOOM (-)

I really have no idea about the comparison of picture quality and focus ability (close-up shots) of both these cameras.

Please help me out in selecting the best out of these two.
viv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2

The photo quality between these two cameras is fairly similiar. The real difference is that the A-530 has manual controls and the W-50 has virtually none. How does that fit with your style of shooting?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:30 PM   #3

I took an interest in the OP as I was looking at the W50, the Canon A610 and now the A530/540

One thing I think what is pushing me towards the Canon is that I reckom a 4x zoom is a wee bit more useful than a camera with a high ISO unless of course we're photographing spooks.... just my humour, maybe someone will come along and point me in the right direction, wonder what MT thinks, like to see how they both compared with a close up macro.

Again, I'm wonderin' how the A610 versus A530/540 work out.

Common' Steve, we just can't wait for the W50 review, you'll have it done in a jiffy..

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4

Well, Davy-

Here is a Sony W-50 professional review for you:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

The bottom line is this: if you need manual control take a look at the Canon A-540. If manual control is NOT a priority, take a look at the Sony W-50.

MT
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:59 AM   #5

Thanks Guys. But I am feeling inclined towards getting W50 (looks, better movie mode, LCD etc.)

I am just concerned about the picture quality. Is there any place where I could find portraits (close-ups) samples from both these cams?

My final decision would be based on picture quality. Please suggest.

Thanks.
viv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:53 AM   #6

Thanks to MT and viv5 for letting me poke my nose in.

Yes I've scoured the review, so we'll forget the Casio Z120 and Sony W5 as I very first mulled over, so it's certainly the W50 the A540 in play here but how they compare to the A610 could well be another question.

But certainly the A540 or the W50, guess we're splitting hairs over the two and it's all down to the user's choice, there are reason's I edged towrds the A530/540, one is self adjusting flash angle, the 4x zoom, batteries are not OEM types and easily replaceable if you run out of juice which could also be expensive to replace, it could be said the memory card prices 'could' be of concern.

Guess I'm trying split hairs, after all they both take piccy's and they'er both respected, bring back the Kodak Instamatic...?

Thanks for letting me bore you...

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7

With photo quality being a major consideration for viv5, why not head over to pbase, and pull up photos from each camera. That way you will see a wide variety and see lots of photos.

Davy-

The difference between the Canon A-540 and the A-610 is not huge (dollarwise/poundwise/eurowise). If you spend a bit more you are going to get more features.

MT