Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:42 AM   #1

Hi, all-.

I currently own a Sony cybershot p 72. While it's not such a bad camera (I bought it three years ago), it lacks manual controls, and I'm not happy at all with it's performance in low light situations,and the noise levels are getting more and more noticeable as time goes by (I don't know if the sensor ages, or my eye is getting used to looking at these pictures and finding the flaws....).

So I'm looking for a compact camera, that has full or almost full manual controls, great sensibility, good performance, and noise as low as posible.

My current choices would be the Canon A620 (but it's not so compact, and I don't like the fact that it needs four batteries!!), and the Panasonic Lumix LX-1 (which I fell in love with, but reviews everywhere scream of high noise levels even at low ISO settings).

Could anyone sugest another camera, or a choice between the two i've mentioned???

Thanks.

nanoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:58 AM   #2

It will be difficult to find something that is compact and full or semi-full manual controls.

IF noise is a big issue for you Fuji makes An F10 or F11 camera that works great up to ISO1600. It's noise levels rival that of a dSLR. I do think it has apperture priority and shutter priority. But I am not 100% sure about that.

IF you could manage something slightly larger, Fuji's S5200/S5600 camera has good noise performance up to about ISO400. It will extend up to a useable 800 but the levels start to get high by that time. This camera has full manual control (although manual focus is not easy to use). IT also has a 10x optical zoom (36-360mm equiv.I believe). But it isn't as small as a compact. It is more like a mini-SLR.

I am more familar with Fuji gear as I own a S5100. Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, or Olympus may have something that will fit your bill too. However I don't think you'll find better noise preformance from a compact camera than the F11.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:46 AM   #3

thanks, the f10 is only point and shoot, while the F11 seems to have some manual controls, though i haven't come across the full specs yet.

I'll keep searching....
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:55 AM   #4

what nelmrsaid is true F11 is the only one camera which has a bigger CCD which is equavalent to DSLR which will perform better at high ISO levels. But as he said i don't think it has A/S priorities.

If you want more Manual and Creative controls then you can consider the 10/12X ZOOM cameras from Canon, Olympus, Panasonic& Fuji they all have Manual controls (12 X Zoom versions) but they might not be very good at high ISO levels. They might only have upto ISO400 and may perform same as any other Point-and-shoot camera at highger ISO's.

I think you may have to compromise atleast in one or two of these things Price, Size, High ISO, Manual Controls. If you compromise on price and size then you will get Full Manual controls and Good ISO performance in DSLR's.

P.S : Sorry I forgot about Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1. This has got Full Frame (35mm size) CCD which will perform even far better than the budget DSLR's at high ISO's levels. The price is going to be high definetely as it has got bigger CCD.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:25 AM   #5

I have checked it out. Fujifilm FinePix F11 has both shutter priority and aperture priority modes and this camera performs better at higer ISO levels (1600). So this should exactly match all your requirements.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05092901fuji_f11.asp
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:45 AM   #6

nanoc-

I was going to suggest the Canon A-620. However, you have already stated that it is too large and rejected the Fuji F-10/F-11 as well. Do you need low light level shooting performance?

If you do, consider the Fuji F-30 with full controls, due out in May. If size is the issue,below that size-wise, there is the Casio Z-750 and the Z-120. You might want to tak e look at them.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7

thanks everybody.

I haven't rejected the fuji F11 yet (I even haven't seen it).

I don't necessarily want a camera that works up to ISO 1600, I would be more than happy with a good ISO 400.

What do you think of the Lumix LX1. Is it really that noisy??
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Administrator

vsrinu30 wrote:
Quote:
what nelmrsaid is true F11 is the only one camera which has a bigger CCD which is equavalent to DSLR which will perform better at high ISO levels. But as he said i don't think it has A/S priorities.
It's actually a relatively small CCD, and a number of non-DSLR models made have used larger sensors (for example, all models that use a Sony 2/3" 5MP or Sony 2/3" 8MP CCD).

It does do much better than most non-DSLR models at higher ISO speeds, though.

Quote:
P.S : Sorry I forgot about Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1. This has got Full Frame (35mm size) CCD which will perform even far better than the budget DSLR's at high ISO's levels. The price is going to be high definetely as it has got bigger CCD.
It's not a 35mm size CCD. It's also not a CCD, it's CMOS. The sensor used in DSC-R1 is slightly smaller (it's 21.5 x 14.4 mm) than the sensors used in entry level DSLR models from Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Konica-Minolta. Ths Sony also has higher noise levels than entry level DSLR models from these manufacturers.

On the plus side, it's a higher resolution model (if you need higher resolution), and you wouldn't be able to match it's focal range with a single lens for one of the entry level DSLR models from another manufacturer (since the lens on the DSC-R1 starts out at a focal length equivalent to 24mm from an angle of view perspective compared to a lens on a 35mm camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:01 AM   #9

Since you specified compact, & lots of controls, check out the Casio EX Z 750, or the 8MP 850, just coming out.

Nice & small. Full 60-second to over 1/1000 manual exposure, and many "best Scene" modes - & you can set up your own "best scene" settings.

Check Steve's reviews, it may do the job for you as it does for me.

-Erik

"The camera you have WITH you, gets the picture."
Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote