Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:30 AM   #1

Hi, I'm new here to the boards though I've be lurking for a while. I currently have a Canon Powershot S1 IS which I really enjoy. However lately I've been getting some really crummy pictures and its been frustrating only having the 3.2 megapixels. I take a ton of pictures cause I'm a scrapbooker with kids who teaches daily classes. My pictures need to be good both for my own personal outlook and my classes. I enlarge to 5x7 and 8x10 with some regularity.

My question is do I save for a dslr or do I get a better advanced point and shoot? I like having the manual controls on my camera though I haven't fully exhausted the possiblities of my current camera yet. I love the zoom and the flip out screen, which I use mainly for reviewing. I've been hearing some hype about the S3 that is coming out and am tempted with that cause I love the idea of having all my camera ready when I am. I'm worried with a dslr that I might miss a shot while searching for the right lens, kwim? Plus the $$ is a big factor. A friend of mine swears by her Pentax dslr but I'm not sure. I currently don't have any brand loyality but for the most part have been satistified with my canon. I just want my pictures to be crisper!

Sorry that this has been so long, but I've been struggling with this decision for while. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
needtime2scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:02 AM   #2

needtime2scrap-

To me, the obvious step up, in view of the fact that you are very comfortable with the Canon S-1, is to the S-2. The S-2 with the soon to be introduced S-3 in the wings, has come down even further in price, and is now at a low point. IMHO the step up to the S-3 ($100 to $150) is just too much when one considers what they will receive.

Beyond, the S-2/S-3 potential, If it were me, Iwould seriously consider the Nikon D-50 or the Pentax DS-2. But that seems to be a step too far, so perhaps the S-2, which is a much better camera than the S-1 will be the answer.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:28 AM   #3

Anyone else with some thoughts?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:37 PM   #4

Something I'd consider in your case is how important image quality and responsiveness are. If those are major factors, then a DSLR is just a major step up. The major things you might miss on a DSLR are the LCD screen for framing and video mode, as well as the convenience of an all-in-one camera (you could make a D50 an all-in-one with the 18-200, but the Nikon version is quite expensive right now).

It would probably help if you could explain why you're unhappy with your current pictures (bad focus? high noise? blown highlights? too much DoF? etc.).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:38 AM   #5

Honestly I'd like my pictures to be crisper and to be able to focus faster. I also find that with my S1 the low light issue seems to be getting worse (or else I'm just noticing it) outside photos are great as long as my batteries are charged. I do like to blow up my photos and then I find that some of the noise is really noticable which stinks. Does this clear it up a bit more?

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:27 AM   #6

Focusing was measurably improved on the Canon S-2 IS versus the S-1 by the addition of the DigicII chip. For low light level shooting the camera that you use has to have a greater than ISO 400 setting that is able to capture photos with very low noise in its images. Consumer DSLR cameras, due to their much larger CMOS imagers are able to capture photos with very little noise at high ISO settings up to both 1600 and 3200 ISO depending on the camera being used.

Fuji has developed a line of cameras such as the F-10, F-11, and F-30 that are 3X optical zoom cameras capable of using up to 1600 ISO and 3200 ISO on the F-30 model. Fuji also has the 5mp S-5200 and the 9mp S-9000 that are capable of using up to 1600 ISO while offering either 10X optical zoom and 9X optical zoom approximately on the S-9000 model. Once again, these Fuji models accomplish their high ISO capability with much less noise by using a larger image sensor size.

Many users desire to depend on the IS system found in Panasonic cameras to overcome involuntary body movements that can shake a camera during the exposure. Unfortunately, the IS system is most effective at long zoom settings (6X optical zoom and above) and at very low shutter speeds. Also unfortunately, Panasonic cameras, exhibit measurable visible noise in imagesat ISO settings greater than ISO 200.

There are a number of noise reduction software programs on the market such as Neat Image and Noise Ninja that can rather effectively reduce noise within an image. However, the noise reduction is done at the cost of some image sharpness. The verybest noise reduction system begins within your camera. When you do a lot of low level light shooting, choose a camera with a measurably larger image sensor such as the Fuji models, if desire a point and shoot camera, or the Consumer DSLR Cameras, when considering a DSLR camera.DSLR cameras, due to their much larger CMOS imagers, are much more able to effectively deal with noise in images taken at and above the ISO 400 setting.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote