Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1

What is the best, slimmest, smallest, portable camera out there.

I want to buy one.

Must be over 5.0 MP
Money is not an option
Will use it mostly for taking picture when i'm out, on the go. no photography or anything.
Any kind of card (SD, XD, Flash, Compact, MS)

I found Sony's N1, a recent one touch screen, 3 inch LCD, nice camera. is that good?

I'd reaaally appriciate the replies. I hope i can get some quick and straight answers.:?
xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2

lightest, slimmest.........

Casio ESX 500 or 600. No contest. See Steve's review, or DPReview.

Sounds like EXACTLY what you are looking for - a true shirt pocket camera which takes quality pix!

If by "Out there" you mean possible rain & such - Pentax WPi. Totally waterproof, 6 Megapixil - I got my daughter one (she runs marathons & such) & she loves it - took a picture looking UP from inside a puddle of water! Slightly bigger - again, see Steve's review!

Good luck! -Erik

"The Camera you have WITH you, gets the picture."
Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3

sailor-

You also might want to look at the Pentax S5i and S5Z.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:06 PM   #4

If the Sony N1 fits your size and weight criteria you have a LOT of cameras to choose from. Iwould have to use the N1 for a while to make a judgement on the touch screen, but my initial take is that it isn't worth the size and limited features otherwise.

The two really tiny cameras over 5Mp are the Casio S600 and Pentax S6. The Pentax is lighter and the Casio maybe a tad smaller. Neither are anything to write home about for image quality, but both will take photos good enough for most users.

To me the best compromise is the Sony T9. It is smaller than the N1 and has true optical stabilization. The LCD is smaller because the camera is smaller, but they both have the same number of pixels in the LCD.

Another camera you might consider that is smaller than the N1 is the Panasonic FX01. It seems the wide angle would be perfect forgeneral photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I went to Futuretronics store in Houston. The guy there told me Pentax Optio S6 was a perfect camera for me, great lens, very thin and light.

the price was 350 dollars but i looked it at b and h and their price was like 190 dollars.

what's up with that camera? Is there any other camera you guys recommend alternative and better to that camera? Any other cameras in that class? I wouldn't mind paying some more, i have a limit to 500 dollars. I'm willing to give up that much to get a reliable and a thin camear with an excellent picture quality.

I'd appriciate it if u could reply back.
xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Administrator

slipe wrote:
Quote:
To me the best compromise is the Sony T9. It is smaller than the N1 and has true optical stabilization. The LCD is smaller because the camera is smaller, but they both have the same number of pixels in the LCD.
My biggest gripe with the T series is their weak flash. Sony has a tendency to fudge the numbers for these units sometimes in the marketing specs, too (only showing the wide angle flash specs at Auto ISO).

The T9 is rated at 9 feet 2 inches at the wide angle lens position, dropping off to 7 feet 7 inches at max zoom. That's a tiny bit better than previous T series models (probably because ISO speed goes higher). But, it's pretty weak compared to some of the othersubcompacts.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:06 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
slipe wrote:
Quote:
My biggest gripe with the T series is their weak flash. Sony has a tendency to fudge the numbers for these units sometimes in the marketing specs, too (only showing the wide angle flash specs at Auto ISO).

The T9 is rated at 9 feet 2 inches at the wide angle lens position, dropping off to 7 feet 7 inches at max zoom. That's a tiny bit better than previous T series models (probably because ISO speed goes higher). But, it's pretty weak compared to some of the othersubcompacts.

The S6 and S600 aren't any better. And the flash drops off more with zoom. The S600 does have the flash assist, which works better than I had guessed it would.

I think 9 feet is a LOT better than 5 feet. I agree that the T9 might depend some on its higher ISO capability for extending the flash range. My current pocket camera has about the same flash range and I seldom find it limiting.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Administrator

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The S6 and S600 aren't any better. And the flash drops off more with zoom. The S600 does have the flash assist, which works better than I had guessed it would.
We're showing the Optio S6 as 17 feet on the wide end, dropping off to 8.9 feet on the long end using Auto ISO.

I haven't checked the specs for the Casio.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Administrator

That's the same thing Pentax is showing on their web site for it, too (approx. 17 feet on the wide end, and a bit over 9 feet on the long end).

Pentax Optio S6 Specifications

The Casio sure doesn't have anything close to it (and it's specs show auto iso). It's only rated about about 9.2 feet on the wide end, dropping down to 4.59 feet on the long end.

Casio S600 Specifications

I think I'll check the user manuals for both to see if the marketing specs are wrong for one or the other camera.

Checked

The manuals for both cameras match up to the marketing specs (which doesn't mean they're right). Specs for both models show Auto ISO for flash range.

That does seem like a lot of difference between two very similar models (17 feet at wide angle for the Pentax S6, and only 9.2 Feet at wide angle for the Casio S600).

http://exilim.casio.com/pdf/EXS600_e.pdf

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/m...Manual_web.pdf

Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:02 AM   #10

The Olympus Stylus Verve S came to mind, and it has all weather capabilities, is very small, takes good pictures, and has a 1.8 Inch LCD.

Very stylish and compact, but its only 5 MP.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote