Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:48 AM   #1

Can anybody advise me which digital slr camera is the best.I want to replace my sony dsc f717 with which I had a very bad experience of having a problem of distored image on lcd in camera mode.Please suggeste a camera which dose not have a sony ccd but still better then this.
vpgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:09 AM   #2

All the budget dSLR cameras will give excellent pictures. I haven't actually directly compared the F717 (I also own one that has problems)to my Pentax *ist DS (hmmm, an idea for this weekend?), but I've been more than happy with it. It's an excellent buy for not a great deal of money and I had the added advantage of being able to use some old Pentax lenses that I had kept for sentimental reasons. Besides, it's small and light, great for hiking.

Best idea is to handle them and see which one you feel most comfortable with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:58 AM   #3

I agree with MtnGal-

Check out the consumer DSLR cameras and see how they feel, and do a bit of research. Can you also share with us your camera experience andgive us some idea of the kind of photos you really want to take with the new camera. Thanks!

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I think the only DSLR cameras that don't have a Sony CCD/CMOS is the Canon range. All the other manufacturers use Sony sensors.

The best camera in the Canon range (and the best DSLR camera you can buy) is the 1DSMkII.

You did say you wanted the best right? :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:25 AM   #5

As every one said all budget DSLR's (Canon XT, Nikon D50, KM 5D, Pentax, Olympus E-500) are very good cameras.

Canon XT : Good, small hand grip, 8MP

Nikon D50 : Good, Picture quality is best at high ISO's

KM 5D : Good, Anti-shake built-into camera's body.

Pentax : Good, Takes AA (if that matters to you)

Olympus E-500 : 8MP, Smaller CCD (implies more Noise), Supersonic Wave Filter to clean CCD sensor.
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:01 AM   #6

Thank you very much for suggestions. I am interested in landscape and nature photogrpahy.
vpgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:29 AM   #7
Administrator

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The best camera in the Canon range (and the best DSLR camera you can buy) is the 1DSMkII.

You did say you wanted the best right? :-)
But, if you shoot in raw and convert with Adobe Camera Raw, the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D has better dynamic range compared to the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, at less than 10% of the Canon's price (about $600 versus $7000+). :blah:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...M5DIMATEST.HTM

The Canon beats it shooting jpeg.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:29 AM   #8
Administrator

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I think the only DSLR cameras that don't have a Sony CCD/CMOS is the Canon range. All the other manufacturers use Sony sensors.
Fuji makes their own sensors for their DSLR models. But, Fuji doesn't exactly have a spotless reputation either:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=60

Most of the the Olympus 4/3's System DSLR models (E-1, E-300, E-500) use Kodak Sensors. I think the newer E-330 may be using a Panasonic sensor.

DSLR models from Nikon, Pentax, and Konica Minolta use Sony sensors (with some exceptions like the Nikon D2H and D2Hs which use Nikon designed sensors).

Canon uses their own sensors in their DSLR models (but, Canon uses Sony and Panasonic sensors in their non-DSLR models).

Sigma DSLR models use Foveon Sensors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:37 AM   #9

A DSLR can provides a great deal of photo flexibility due to the ability to interchange lenses and in the case of low level light shooting, theability to use very high ISO numbers without excessive noise appearing in your photos.

Speaking of the Consumer level of DSLR cameras the K-M 5D, 7D, the Pentax DS, DL, and DS2,and the Canon 20D have to ability to use up to ISO 3200, whereas the Nikon D-50, D-70, the Olympus E-300, E-330, E-500, and the Canon 350D/XT are limited to using up to 1600 ISO.

The Olympus SLR cameras, due to their slightly smaller, Kodak produced sensors, have a tendancy to show more noise in their images using their 800 and 1600 ISO settings. The real issue is to find the consumer DSLR camera that is best adapted to your own personal style of shooting, that feels good in hand, and that offers the line of lenses that best fit your needs.

Currently, the only consumer DSLR camera that has IS are the K-M 5D and 7D.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote