Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:07 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy another camera and have several, the most recent being the DiMage Z10 which takes excellent pictures . . . my old 35mm was a Minolta and even though they've left the camera portion and teamed up with Sony or whatever, I'm tempted by the A200 for the anti-shake, the 7x zoom, the 8 megpixel and I really want my next camera to have the flip out rotating LCD screen. Are there any other cameras in this price range and spec group that offer the rotating LCD that I should seriously consider? Any pro's or con's on this one?

This is my first post on this board although I've been reading the reviews and news here for a couple of years.

:?

Thanks,

Deana
Qwackertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:53 AM   #2

Deana-

Do you also have a requirement for an ultra zoom? If not, the Canon G-6 is an excellent camera and it does have a flip out and rotating LCD screen.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3

Last year on our trip to Switzerland, for most shots the 7X was plenty so I don't think I really need more than that or a 10X at the most but I will definitely look at the Canon G-6 specs. Thanks for the reply~!!!

Deana
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:04 PM   #4

I got a new A200 a few days ago. It replaced my old Powershot S1, with which I had a lot of fun. The flip out display of the A200 is very nice. Seems to be almost the same as that of my Coolpix 8400. The image stabiliser of the A200 works very well - no blurred pictures yet. It is a fast raw shooter, i.e. there are only 2-3 seconds between two raw shots (my Coolpix 8400 needs about 10 seconds). Overall image quality is very good. The movie quality is good but not as good as that of my old Powershot, which was truely excellent. Unlike the Powershot the A200 movies show some compression artifacts. On the other hand the A200 movies have only half the size and there is a night movie option, which I haven't tested yet. Besides the [email protected] fps movie mode there is also a [email protected] fps movie mode, which I haven't tested yet either. It also comes with a very useful remote control, which however cannot be used in movie mode. Finally there are five custom modes, where you can save all the settings for special situations and you can assign these custom modes to scene mode symbols. The ergonomics of this camera are only surpassed by the KM A2.
Overall this is an excellent camera and it's really cheap now.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Would the night movie mode be suitable for using to tape my daughters various recital dances? They are performed in a dark concert hall with pretty much only the stage lights and no flash photography is allowed. They offer tapes you can purchase but they are really expensive, 45.00 bucks a night x 5 nights, per year and the quality is HORRIBLE. They do a split screen where above they have a panning shot of each dance number/class where they zoom in on each dancer for a second or twoand below is a full width shot of the entire class. I would only be filming the numbers she is in and her solo so each mini-movie segment would only be around 3 minutes in length.

Deana
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

As I said I haven't tested the night movie mode yet, but if you wait an hour I may do it. You can put 16 movie minutes ([email protected] fps) on a 1 GB CF card. Thus 3 minutes should be no problem at all.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:43 PM   #7

ooops sorry, I read your reply in too big a hurry . . . had to pick up kids early from school due to severe weather alerts in my area so my head is a little ditzy this afternoon :?

IF you test it soon, I'd appreciate hearing from you again. I want to order before supplies are depleted on the net since the price is so good.

Thanks,

Deana
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:43 PM   #8

Ok, I made a night movie under really poor light. It was a 13 Watt energy saving lamp (corresponds to 60-80 Watt of an ordinary lamp). Even in a dark concert hall light will be better. The resulting 98 second movie had a size of 96 MB. I missed the right white balance, whence the movie had an ugly green cast. This problem can certainly be avoided. The movie was also quite noisy and because the camera doesn't want to spend more than 1 MB per second, this noise caused unpleasant compression artifacts (much more than the daylight movie). On the positive side the video showed a good amount of detail - certainly more than a VHS movie. Altogether I would say the night movie mode is usable but not good. It should improve if light is better. If you record the movie with a tripod and with correct white balance (which is somewhat tricky under artificial light), then recompress it to DivX it should look better on TV than a VHS tape and unlike a VHS tape a digital movie doesn't deterioate over time.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:54 PM   #9

I will be able to do some "test" movie modes during dress rehearsals, not quite the exact same conditions, but close enough. For a camcorder, we have our OLD VHS-C Panasonic which isn't too bad but it does get a little heavy on the hand when you're trying to not catch the top of the head of the person in front of you so I usually make my husband do the camcorder for recitals.

I was REALLY extremely pleased with the shots from my little ole Minolta DiMage Z10 that we bought at the last minute before our trip last summer. Out of at least 4 digital cameras from our group of four families, not to brag, and over 1200 pics between us, mine were the best as far as clear, crisp, clarity and just overall the best shots. So I am now wanting to upgrade to the A200, we have an old one we gave to our 12 yr old and a Kodak and another digital, so I've about decided on the A200. Even the pics from the Z10, we have a few linked to our Replay TV and when it goes to "sleep" mode it will crank up the pics on the 65" Mitsubishi widescreen and they are still beautiful crisp, clean shots of the scenery in Switzerland.

Deana
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:13 PM   #10
E.T

Qwackertoo wrote:
Quote:
Last year on our trip to Switzerland, for most shots the 7X was plenty so I don't think I really need more than that or a 10X at the most but I will definitely look at the Canon G-6 specs.
I would keep A200 much better for that kind use, it has wider wide angle than G6 and Z10.
(G6 also has weird 15 frames per second video mode which doesn't work at all with anything moving)

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
If you record the movie with a tripod
Actually that's where Anti-Shake is good, it helps much for jerkyness of video taken at tele end but tripod is always definitely better.

PS. Could you post couple shots from Switzerland in landscapes forum, sceneries there are spectacular.
(If someone doesn't know what kind check this video)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote