Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:48 AM   #1

I am very concerned with the high noise factor of my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9, so I was looking for a smiliar replacement.

The Nikon Coolpix P4 seemed to be the one -

Vibration Reduction IS and apparently low noise, and a large LCD.

Anyone have one and can share their thoughts on this camera with me ?
ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 5:49 AM   #2
E.T

Looks to be such new model that finding someone with experiences from it might be quite hard, even Steve's review is in "First look" phase...
Sensitivity - ISO Auto, 50, 100, 200, 400
So nothing to talk about in that aspect, if it would be capable to lower noise they surely would have added also 800.

Also maximum aperture in tele is little dim even for compact standards, F5.3
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nikon_cpp4.asp

And like I said in other thread, using LCD is worst thing you can do outside good daylight because it amplifies shake many times so don't count it as only framing method.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:21 AM   #3

My eyes aren't too good, so I rely on the LCD quite a bit.

However, noise issues really annoy me, as strangely, it is hard for me not to pick up on the weird coloured speckles in the photos.

I can see the noise in the FX9 photos even at ISO 80, so I was hoping that the P4 would be better in that regard.

Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:13 AM   #4
E.T

Fuji's compacts are only one which have lower noise (now even that is mostly achieved by processing) but they again lack stabilization so I'm not sure how much better those would be considering extra ability what stabilizatino gives to others.

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
I can see the noise in the FX9 photos even at ISO 80, so I was hoping that the P4 would be better in that regard.
For that we have to wait full review.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:57 AM   #5

Yes, Panasonic cameras are well well know for their mottled or speckled noise patterns at fairly low ISO settings. Have you considered the Canon SD-700 IS or the Canon S-2 IS or S-3 IS? You spoke earlier about the S-3, but then it ceased getting any attention.

I surely do not mean to offend, and I apologize in advance for any unintended hurt, but the Fuji solution, especially the new F-30, seems to offer a perhaps better solution. I sometimes get the impression that you visualize IS as a sortof "silver bullet" kind of solution, when it is really not. Yes, it does help but IS is not a 100% solution.

Like ET, I believe, that the F-30 with its 3200 top ISO setting would allow you to shoot at fast enough shutter speeds that would serve to obviate the need for IS. I will do some sample photos with my F-10 today to see if I can validate that kind of solution.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:33 AM   #6
E.T

SD700/Ixus 800 seems to have quite decent ISO400 which isn't so much processed by camera that cleaning it further in computer wouldn't work, actually after slight processing it isn't much worser than Fuji F10's heavily processed ISO800. (compared to Steve's noise test shot)
But ISO800 is such noisy and already processed so that any attempts to clean it with Noise Ninja just blurs it very badly.
So practically SD700 can go further than Fuji in low light stationary/slowly moving targets thanks to stabilization, but for moving targets Fuji would win.

Also SD700's LCD would have higher resolution than Nikon P4, 173 000 vs 150 000...

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
that the F-30 with its 3200 top ISO setting
How about waiting is that "3200" anything else than watercolored blur or pixel binned 5 years old resolution.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

ET-

Of course, we do not have a review of the Fuji F-30, nor have they reached the market as yet. But we do have samples from the F-10 at the max ISO setting of 1600 and they are every bit as good as what Canon can do. I think it would indeed be logical to assume that the F-30 will offer the same kind of performance.

Here is a F-10 sample taken at ISO 1600:

MT
Old Apr 9, 2006, 5:38 PM   #8

The other discussion is still open, except no one has replied to it ....

I am looking to buy 2 cameras -

One is to be ultracompact (to replace my FX9), so that I can carry it with me easily, for family outings, parties etc. I want it to have a large LCD, great image quality, low noise with optical IS (because my hand wobbles quite a bit). I strongly prefer brands such as Nikon, Canon or Sony.

The second is to be the one to do the more intricate work I want done, ie. macro photography, long zoom, nature and landscape stills, etc. Same deal, as in I need a large LCD, excellent image quality, low noise with optical IS, and long zoom (10X at least). But not a DSLR as that would be too complex for me at this stage.

The two mentioned must use the SD or MS Pro Duo formats, as I don't have any CF or xD cards. I used to own the Canon PowerShot S2 IS, but sold it recently as I felt it did not match my needs (LCD too small, IS insufficient for extreme zooms, and somewhat patchy low light performance). I own a Canon PowerShot A610, but I keep taking blurred photos due to the fact that it does not have IS.

Also, I would exclude Pentax, Kodak and Fuji cameras, as I have used them in the past, and felt that their performance was dismal.

Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:55 PM   #9

I honestly thought that we had abandoned the first thread and were indeed working on the new/or #2 thread. In as much as I am really busy right now with personal committments and contract photo shoots, I hope that you will excuse me. I will not be contributing further to this thread.

MT
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:41 PM   #10

No problems.

I was just hoping that people here might have some ideas about this.

Regardless, I will continue my research.