Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1

I am hoping to take some good shots at an upcoming concert I am going to (day/night, open air, hoping to be near front!). I was a keen amateur photographer until a couple of years ago but due to work pressures I am very out of practice!

The first digital camera I bought was a Fuji FinePix S5000. I never gave this camera much of a chance because the delay between pressing the shutter and the shot actually being taken meant my subjects normally had moved or disappeared and this really annoyed me. Am I doing something wrong and is there something I can do to rectify this?

I then bought a Canon EOS350D / Rebel, a camera with whichI am much more familiar and I'm sure would take great shots. However, I think this camera would probably not be allowed in the concert venue.

My dilemma is to choose the FinePix, risk the EOS or purchase a new camera and I have been told the Canon S2 would be great for the concerts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:?

Amanda

amandastead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2

Amanda-

With the concert being outdoors, that changes the environment a good deal from the usual night time/no flash kind of concert photos. A good deal depends on how close you are seated. Under the described environment, and providing the light and shadows fall your way, the Canon S-2 IS can do a creditable job.

However, you must keep in mind that the Canon S-2 will not be good for a night time concerts, where you would be shooting under very low light level conditions. So you might want to consider the Fuji S-5200, which is two+ generations more advanced than your old Fuji S-5000. The S-5200 could handle both a daytime and a nightime concert because it has a max ISO setting of 1600 along with a full 10X of optical zoom.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

Thank you for your help, your advice was very useful.

Amanda
amandastead is offline   Reply With Quote