Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:14 PM   #1

Hello to all,
I'm so glad I found you. Last month, my Canon S2 IS had error E18. Fatal! Now it's gone. I'm now shopping for a new camera. Some salespeople tell me to wait until S3 arrives in May (I'm in Canada). Some other sugegst I do the jump to SLR right away. Again, 50% strongly suggest going for Nikon D50, and the rest suggest I go for Pentax iSTT DL2. The DL2 is lot cheaper than D50 here. I read specs on S3. It would suit my needs but I remember the horrible autofocus of the S2 and the fatal error. Please help me if you can. I'm really in the dark here.

Germain
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:17 PM   #2

Germain-

I am really sorry that your S-2 kicked over with the dreaded E-18 Error. But now we have to look toward the future. I own both the Pentax DS and the Nikon D-50. Surely, the Pentax DS is a rather accomplished camera and the Pentax DL is an even better buy than the DS, right now.

You will gain several advantages:

The Pentax DL has a max ISO setting of 3200 versus only 1600 on the D-50.

The older Pentax Lens availability at reasonable prices, makes the Pentax DL an even better choice.

So it looks as if you have a real win-win situation on your hands. I would definitely not invest in the Canon S-3 intermediate step, in view of your E-18 scenario. it would essentially be wasted money.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:28 PM   #3

Hello mtclimber and thanks a lot for the information. For the S3, I am not too much enclined to buy it. Can't forget its tendancy to not focus in dim light but it was my first digital camera and I liked it. As for the Pentax, I understand all that you say but I'm afrait not to be able to find lenses in the future. Used lenses? I wouldn't know where to buy it. Here, on the Net, I didn't see many used Pentax for sale. But for now, it's not a very important issue. I'm more concerned by the reviews that say tha DL2 produces very soft images that require almost all intense shrpening in PShop. I tend to like crisp, very defined and sharp images. Is it so true that Pentax images are soft? DL2 is $139 less than the D50.

Thanks again so much
Germain:?
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:45 PM   #4

germain-

I do NOT own a Pentax DL. I own Pentax DS cameras and I have no problems at all with soft images, or images that are soft at their edges. The nice thing about Pentax is that they made all of their DSLR cameras downwardly compatible.

That means that any of the older Pentax lenses, even the old M-42 screw on lenses can be used in the manual Mode with an adapter. Those lenses are widely available at http://www.KEH.com, http://www.Adorama.com, and http://www.Ebay.com.

MT

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:37 PM   #5

Did Canon offer to replace under warrenty?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:42 PM   #6

The E18 error means that too much dirt has entered the lense system. It is interesting to know that the S2 suffers from this problem as well. There are no such reports for my old S1, which seems to be extremely durable. Thus the built quality of the Powershot Sx cameras seems to deterioate. The S3 seems to be very similar to the S2. Only a slightly larger display and a new CCD (of the same size as the old one). Thus it seems quite likely that the S3 is an E18 camera as well. E18 cameras sell for quite a good price on Ebay Germany, because there are quite a few experts here, who dismantle the camera, clean it and put together it again. On the other hand, in the EU we have a mandatory two year manufacturer warranty. Thus you usually start to see E18 offers only two years after market entry.
If you already had focus problems with P&S cameras you will certainly have more severe focusing problems with a DSLR. Because of the much larger sensor DSLRs have a much smaller DOF. Thus focusing must be much more precise, which is particularily difficult in low light. Actually on my KM 7D, which has a quite effective anti shake, incorrect focus is the primary reason for blurred pictures and I more and more prefer manual focusing if light is difficult. However, Nikon DSLRs are known to have the best autofocus among DSLRs. Also your E18 error indicates that you have a dust problem and dust isn't great fun for a DSLR either. When you change the lense dust may penetrate the camera and settle down on the sensor. While this is not a fatal problem and all DSLR owners have to deal with this problem eventually, cleaning the sensor isn't fun, especially when you do it the first time.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:58 AM   #7

You are so correct, Kassandro-

The first time I cleaned the sensor onmy Nikon D-70, about a year ago, my hands were shaking. Now, I do it quickly and with ease using the Copperhill Method.

MT