Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:44 AM   #1

i've been using a CANON powershot s45 for the past 3 years, but have had the LCD screen crack on me recently (my fault, it dropped out of my pocket).

here are my needs: i want something smaller than the s45 was. i mostly just take snapshots, but i'll take more serious photos, and i also like to mess with manual settings to do this.

and although i like to do manual settings i liked all the pre-set modes on the s45.

i'm down to the sony p200 and the canon sd 600 (or some other elph-series camera).

can someone help me figure out which might be better for my needs between these two (or any other suggestions?). thanks!!!

i'd prefer to be able to use my compact flash card, but won't cry if i can't use it anymore (i realized that the sony uses memory stick and the elph series use SD).
scuzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:17 AM   #2

Of course, you could buy a used Canon S-45 over on E-bay and that would use your CF cards and save a bit of money. Otherwise, IMHO, I would be looking at theSD-700 IS first, then the Sony P-200 if you can find one. Sony has stopped production on the P-200, and the inventory is dwindling.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3

thanks! a friend just adivsed i should wait for the sd 700 too.

so if i don't have the $$$ for the sd 700, you think the p200 is a fine option?

i'm not sure if image stabilization and all the other bells and whistles will be worth the extra $230 or so...

then again, it might be!

if i were to go sony, then would you say p200 over the t-5? the t-5 doesn't have a full manual mode...it seems.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:44 PM   #4

If I went to Sony, it would be for the P-200. BTW I think that the SD-700 will be worth the extra money.

MT
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:49 AM   #5

thanks for the advice--i think you're right about it being worth the extra money too.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:28 PM   #6

so is this thing really going to come out on april 14th?

(the sd700)
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:13 PM   #7

scuzm-

A lot of dealers already have the Canon A-700 in stock and are already actively selling the camera. So, it should only be a few days for the SD700.

MT
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:40 PM   #8

A couple of online stores have shown the SD700 in stock for a few days now. Might be a come-on but it doesn't seem like Dell would be that dishonest.

If you don't need a camera right away you will probably find the prices a little more reasonable once they are fully in stock and people start competing. Right now they are asking full retail and that is a little much.

You might also want to look at the Casio Z750 or Z850. They have full manual everything and a great control setup. The P200 has manual exposure but no aperture or shutter priority. It also has zone focus where the Casios have full manual focus if you want to use that. Now that the Z850 is out the Z750 is selling for less than the P200 and I think it is a better camera. Butterfly has the Z850 for $316 delivered and I personally think the feature set is worth the $60 difference compared to the Z750.

My one caveat for both the Z750 & 850 is that I don't think the optical viewfinder would be very good for someone who wears eyeglasses for distance vision. The viewfinder is small and has no diopter correction. It works fine for me, but I would think it would be a poor choice for someone who wants an optical finder and wears eyeglasses. I notice both of your choices have optical finders and agree with that selection.

The one strong point of the P200 is that it is a lot less prone to red-eye than other small cameras. It is a good camera.

I would prefer the stabilization and probable higher ISO capability of the SD700 over either of the Casios or the P200. I've never had a camera without full manual controls, but I have come to the conclusion they aren't that necessary on a pocket camera. You can do a lot with spot metering or EV shift referring to the histogram in difficult lighting. Aperture priority is necessary for a camera with a hot shoe, but in a little camera its main purpose is to open the lens to blur backgrounds or maximize the shutter speed for action. Most cameras anymore have portrait and action modes that do the same thing. I like full manual and the full 60 seconds for night shots on a tripod, but I could live without that capability to get true optical stabilization. Hopefully the better noise at higher ISO isn't just hype.

But the price difference is substantial and I would hate to give up MPEG4 and the great Casio past movie mode. The Z750 is my 5th digital camera and it is the first camera the movies were worth fooling with. It really does a nice job on movies and takes a lot less space on the card.

You can probably give up on using your CF cards on a current pocket camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:54 AM   #9

thanks for the info!

my only beef w/ dell is that it says "3-5 weeks" for delivery and none of the other online retailers i see have a solid date for it.

amazon and target both say may 20th.

i dunno, i can still take pics w/ my S45 in a pinch, but w/o the lcd screen working, i'm pretty much using the viewfinder and having it on auto since i can't mess with settings.

so sad.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:25 AM   #10

You might therefore want to give some consideration to the Canon A-700 offering a full 6X of optical zoom. It is on dealer shelves right now. However, you must keep in mind that it is a bit bigger.

MT