Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:23 PM   #1

I've looked at the sample images on both, but it's hard to tell if there is a big difference between the two. I like the idea of the non-retractable lens and also the viewfinder. Plus, it's 9 megapixel, although I think that might be deceptive when regarding the IS size.

John
jcallicotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:39 PM   #2
E.T

Now much would depend on what kind camera you're looking so you should also tell about requirements.

But from longer tele cameras S9000 is about only one which has wide angle.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:54 PM   #3

I am looking for a camera that will be good for shooting family, vacations, landscapes, etc. I am not a professional photographer, or even a good amateur one so manual controls don't attract me. Also, I don't care about the size of the camera, but I do care about that quality of the resulting images. I want to keep the cost under $350 if possible.
jcallicotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:37 PM   #4

Because the Fuji S-9000 is designed to compete with the consumer DSLR cameras the images right out of the S-9000 will require some editing to get them to their optimum. If you can deal with that, the S-9000 is certainly a possible choice.

I biught a S-9000 and it did not give me what I wanted. I already owned Nikon lenses, so I purchased a Nikon Factory Refurbished D-50 body for $399.00. It has worked perfectly for me.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:14 PM   #5

Dear MT Climber,

What were your complaints regarding the S9000?

I am interrested in buying one, are used to working with SLR's, and now want a digital camera that can cope with shooting high resolution in low light conditions. Yes, I'm talking about "noise" here: what were your experiences with noise?

(First I was interrested in the Panasonic FZ30, heard about it's noise, than looked at the Sony R1, but that's too expensive, now I look at the Fuji S9000...)

Mark.
xedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:52 PM   #6

Have you considered the Fuji S5200. It's just 5 megapixel, and doesn't have the wide angle capability, but it's decent in low light, and its images come out ok without much post processing. It's also less than 300 bucks.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:13 PM   #7

Hi Robbo,

I don't know the camera but will look into it first thing tomorrow. Can I do this with it?

http://subh2o.xs4all.nl/gallery/album29/Honingmeisje

That's hanging on my livingroomwall size 12 x 18 inch, and it's the direction I want to be able to take with my digital camera. I've made more photo's like that with my Canon A-1 and now wanna go digital and use these as the benchmark.

More examples:

http://subh2o.xs4all.nl/gallery/Arch...juni-2004/13_G

http://subh2o.xs4all.nl/gallery/Arch..._binnenshuis_3

It's long past bedtime overhere in the land of Rembrandt. Hope to read you later.

Greetings,

Mark.

Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:29 PM   #8

Mark-

Here is where I'm at. I purchased the Fuji S-9000, because I swore I sure didn't need a DSLR camera. Ha, Ha, the joke was on me. The S-9000/S-9500 is a nice camera, and it is up to producing photos such as your samples. I did notice some noise in the ISO 800 and 1600 images. Unfortunately, the S-9000 does not use the exact same imager as the F-10. So, less than 2 months after purchasing the S-9000, desiring more image sharpness and better low light level shooting characteristics (meaning LESS noise) I bought a Nikon D-50.

Here is a samplephoto taken at ISO 1600 and max zoom, then run through Neat Image.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:34 PM   #9

MT,

I'll consider that too! Thanks for replying.

Maybe we speak later but I really got to hit the sack now: it's way past midnight!

Greetings from The Hague,

Mark.