Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:25 AM   #11

Qwackertoo-

Your feelings about moving to the Nikon D-50 are common to a lot of folks. The Nikon D-50's controls are laid out in the pattern you are very familiar with in your own camera. However, the transition is smooth and fairly easy. After a month or so, and some good practice, a sense of confidence sets in. How do I know? I teach Digital Photography for our state university and I have taken many people through that same transition. It would save money it you eliminated the step to the A-200.

kassandro-

I really believe that you have very well defined the key issue between the A-200 and the FZ-30; it is the RAW image. Naturally, every camera has it legion of supporters, and that is rightly so. However, taking the RAW images through RSE really tells the story quite clearly. It is there that you will see the sophisticated elegance of the A-200, and the very low noise and image qualities of the Nikon D-50. So too, you will see what the RAW image out of the FZ-30 really looks like in its RAW form. RAW processing is the future in digital cameras. The RAW images, for example, from the Pentax DS and DL are actually quite a bit better (about 25% better) than the JPEG output. Unfortunately, in camera processing can create impressions of an image that is rather masked or disguised.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:25 AM   #12

I think one should have both. A good bridge camera like the FZ30 or A200 is simply a lot more versatile than a DSLR. You have the flip out display, which opens new photographic opportunities or makes other tasks like close ups much easier, you can shoot movies, they have much less weight (especially the A200) and last but not least they have a much larger DOF, which is particularily important for close ups. A DSLR on the other hand has supreme image quality. Especially if light is not optimal, it runs circles around a bridge camera. If you have already a Minolta SLR, you should consider the KM 5D/7D. You can reuse your old Minolta lenses and have always the magnificent built in anti shake. No other DSLR can do that. No doubt, the KM 5D/7D are the best low light cameras at all. The Minolta sensor is also less noisy than the sensor of the D50. With the exception of the autofocus and the broader Nikon lense choice, I see the KM 5D always in front of the D50 - even with the price.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:38 PM   #13

For the flip out display . . . which do you think the A200 might be more likey to get damaged or accidentallybumped against since it is flipped out to the left vs. the FZ30 which only flips down vertically. I noticed one of the new Canon's flips up from the top of the camera.

Deana
Qwackertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:42 PM   #14

I think you confused Canon with the Sony R1, which seems to be the sole camera, whose display flips out from the top. I don't like this idea for one basic reason. Probably the most important situation, where you need a flip out display, is when you want to shoot over a large obstacle like a high fence or wall or a crowd of people. Then you not only raise the camera as high as possibly, but you also tilt the camera slightly downwards. When you do this with the R1, you're having a problem, because the display is getting out of sight, at least partially. For the purpose of overcoming a large obstacle the Panasonic LCD is certainly optimal, but for other purposes it is inferior. All in all I consider the Canon/Nikon version of the flip out display, which is also used by the A200, as the best. Other manufacturers only try different constructions to avoid paying royalties to Canon or Nikon (one of these two companies certainly holds the patent). In 90% of all my shots I use the EVF, because pressing the head against the camera provides additional protection against shake. Then the display is closed and well protected. When I sold my Powershot S1 on Ebay recently, its flip out display didn't have even a tiny scratch after one year of intensive use. Thus a flip out display is also the best display protection.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:14 PM   #15
E.T

Qwackertoo wrote:
Quote:
For the flip out display . . . which do you think the A200 might be more likey to get damaged or accidentally┬*bumped against since it is flipped out to the left vs. the FZ30 which only flips down vertically.
I think one flipping to side would be better, if LCD flipping down is folded open and your grip from camera slips neckstrap would swing it such that LCD would be left much more between you and rest of camera's mass.
Also I think one flipping to side is much more easier to use when it comes to ergonomics... I haven't tried these but it would feel more natural.

Qwackertoo wrote:
Quote:
Your avatar pic looks like it was taken at the Space & Rocket Center here in Huntsville AL . . . or maybe one of the other NASA locations.
That's from here: http://avaruus2003.ursa.fi/en/index_en.html
I was there as guide and guides had more official suits arranged by my "namesake".
(so what might be my first name?)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:22 PM   #16

E.T wrote:
Quote:
I was there as guide and guides had more official suits arranged by my "namesake".
(so what might be my first name?)
???

A friend's husband was a project manager on the recent Mars Rover landing project and I watched quite a bit of the coverage on NASA tv. And living here in Rocket City, U.S.A., that is a major force within this town.

I should probably just decide on something and just order itand click the submit button and stop driving myself crazy . . . so hard to decide.

Deana
Qwackertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:02 PM   #17
E.T

Qwackertoo wrote:
Quote:
I should probably just decide on something and just order it┬*and click the submit button and stop driving myself crazy . . . so hard to decide.
Well, we can't have perfect camera, there's only compromises, some are just least suitable to about everything and others which are best in some areas.

And after all that would spoil all the fun of selecting camera.

Three letter acronym... as addional hint nick comes from my initials.
And try selecting such simple thing as watch.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:21 AM   #18

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
If you have already a Minolta SLR, you should consider the KM 5D/7D. You can reuse your old Minolta lenses and have always the magnificent built in anti shake.
It depends on how old the Minolta SLR is. The "MD" series are not compatible with the KM 5D.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:09 PM   #19

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
the Panasonic FZ-30 has also been on the market for 1 1/2 years and is constantly dubbed "the noise monster."

According to what I have read the FZ30 was announced in July of 2005. How do you arrive at 1 1/2 years?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote