Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:14 PM   #1

I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Panasonic DMC-FZ30K or the Nikon Cool Pix 8800 although all that seems to come up on the pricegrabber is refurbished units and can't find a newer model or one coming soon, or Nikon D50 or the Minolta Dimage A200 but since Konica Minolta just got out of the camera and a warranty would be service by Sony (Ithink) so I'm sorta leaning towards the Panasonic. I've read lots of reviews and many threads on these but thought I'd post and see if any others had a preference between these or perhaps another make/model I have overlooked. I'd like to stay less than 700 bucks, just because, I don't really need a expensive camera with multiple lenses and such.

Most important I want at least a 8 MP and prefer at least 7 X optical zoom

ANDI'dlike tohave a fully tiltable/rotating LCD viewfinder prefer one with adjustable brightness settings but just not finding many with that feature.

I love my old 35mm Minolta, have a Minolta digital and a couple of Kodaks.

Deana
Qwackertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:32 PM   #2

Deanna-

The difference between 6mp and 8mp in a DSLR camera is absolutely minimal. Dollar for Dollar the Nikon D-50 will be a hard camera to beat. The Nikon 8800 is a very slow camera as you probably have already read. The A-200 while a great camera is now outdated by 2 1/2 years, going on 3 years, the Panasonic FZ-30 has also been on the market for 1 1/2 years and is constantly dubbed "the noise monster."

It is just a personal opinion, but with the Nikon D-50 you will have an up to date camera that offers the ultimate in photo flexibility, meaning you can change lenses.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the info . . . I found the D50 for 15% off at Dell, 764 and free shipping but am trying to figure out how to apply a 60.00 coupon code I found at Mr. Rebates AND go through them for 2% rebate. This one has the two lens kit. I think it is "on sale" until Wednesday so I have some more time to decide or go through one of the other price grabber retailers.

Deana
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:08 PM   #4
E.T

Qwackertoo wrote:
Quote:
prefer one with adjustable brightness settings but just not finding many with that feature.Deana
Brightness setting is available in A2 so I would assume A200 has it also.
BTW, viewfinder with LCD is called as EVF and that screen on backside is just LCD.

I wouldn't expect successor for 8800, most people seem to be happy with "advanced" menu surfing cameras and low end DSLRs are more media sexy and way to much bigger profit margins.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
DThe A-200 while a great camera is now outdated by 2 1/2 years
About year too much. Release date was in fall 2004.
And when it comes to features about every camera in markets is "outdated" by two years old KM A2.
All current models are just refreshes to old models without any real innovations and most makers have dropped more advanced models away to favour DSLRs.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:14 PM   #5

E.T wrote:
Quote:
BTW, viewfinder with LCD is called as EVF and that screen on backside is just LCD.

Ooops . .. . . my head is starting to hurt from reading all the specs and reviews kinda like when I was researching our HDTV and then addall the receivers, speakers, DVD player shootouts, & cablesthat my head starts spinning with all that technical stuff.

Deana
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:45 PM   #6

deana-

Take a deep breath, and don't sweat it! It will all work out. Think of it this way: Do you want old technology or new technology? The Nikon 8800 is horribly slow and truly does represent "old technology." On the other hand, you have the Nikon D-50 which really is "new technology."

To get your greatest flexibility in your photos, you cannot deny the advantage of and ease of interchangeable lenses. Don't worry, just sleep on it and we can "talk" again tomorrow.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:59 PM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Do you want old technology or new technology?
You can debate and argue about the qualities and properties of each the named cameras, but just using the words "old technology" and "new technology" is plain stupid and should be below the standards of this forum. Especially in an field like fotography, where some people use their old analog SLRs for decades.

Quote:
the Panasonic FZ-30 has also been on the market for 1 1/2 years and is constantly dubbed "the noise monster."
If the FZ-30 is on the market since 1 1/2 years I wonder why Steve's review of it is dated "11/28/2005". And I never heard the term "noise monster" used before. While the FZ-30 has for sure more noise than a DSLR, the noise levels are not that exceptional for a pro/consumer camera. Nor does noise visible when viewed at 100% matter to everyone who buys a camera.

@Qwackertoo:
I am currently looking at the same cameras and in the process of deciding between the A200 and the FZ-30. I don't care about Sony taking over KoMi, because I assume the warranty services will be done by Sony the same way as by KoMi, and once warranty is over any kind of service will be prohibitively expensive anyways. The big advantage of the A200 is for sure it's better wide-angle.
Currently I am also leaning towards the Panasonic for the simple reason the comparions photos I found on the net so far look better to me, for example on DPReview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page9.asp
I am still searching the net for more comparison shots, but so far I like the FZ-30 better. I also like the idea of having unlimited video capability, something that is to me personally usefull. Depends all on your demands.
uz-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:12 AM   #8

When comparing the A200 and the FZ30 you should compare raw images converted with a good raw converter. The FZ30 simply has a much more powerful image processor than the A200, whence the in camera jpegs at lowest iso level are slightly better than that of the A200. On the other hand my A200 raw images are clearly sharper than the in camera jpegs of the FZ30. As I don't have raw images of the FZ30 I really can't make a full comparison, but I don't expect visible differences. Raw shooting is definitely the future. When deciding between the FZ30 and the A200 the zoom range should be the ultimate criterion. If you need more wide angle the A200 is the right choice. If not go, then go with the FZ30. I also like the 5 custom modes of the A200, which can be assigned to scene mode symbols, its powerful 200mm macro, its remote control and last but not least its outstanding price (30% less than the FZ30).
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:32 AM   #9
E.T

uz-guy wrote:
Quote:
I also like the idea of having unlimited video capability, something that is to me personally usefull. Depends all on your demands.
I don't see unlimited movie of FZ30 anyway better than 15 minutes limit of A200.

30fps 640x480 M-JPEG video takes so much space that you won't fit much more than 15 minutes of it to 2GB SD card which is hard limit of that card type!
Now I don't now hasn't Lexar tested FZ30 but they don't list it in their 2GB compatibility chart, I would assume it supports them because FZ20 is there.
(original size limit of SD cards was 1GB and they had to make some incompatible jerry-rigging to get it to 2GB)

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
When comparing the A200 and the FZ30 you should compare raw images converted with a good raw converter. The FZ30 simply has a much more powerful image processor than the A200, whence the in camera jpegs at lowest iso level are slightly better than that of the A200.
Here's how much sharper results good RAW converter can give from A200's lens/sensor combination.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...200/page12.asp
And no need to get Photoshop if you don't have one, free RawShooter Essentials does conversion about equally well.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:41 AM   #10

Your avatar pic looks like it was taken at the Space & Rocket Center here in Huntsville AL . . . or maybe one of the other NASA locations.

I still can't decide what to get . . . more reading today and comparison shopping. Actually I'm tempted to get the A200 for family trips to WDW and other vacation spots for fast, fun and easy shooting and get the D50 for more serious shooting and maybe even sign up for a photography class at one of the local colleges as I'm a little skeered of the dSLR and never was real adventurous when using my old 35mm SLR. I've found great prices on both . . . but then my husband might kill me. LOL

Deana