Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:45 PM   #1

Hey everyone I need your advice! I asked for some help here chosing a camera recently and for my budget ended up buying a refurbished Kodak Z700. Well the camera arrived today, but low and behold it's the wrong one - it's a Z730 *not* the Z700 I ordered.

I know I've already made the purchase, but this still seemed the best forum for my question.

The simple choice as I see it is for me to either keep this camera or send it back and have the seller send me the Z700. I'm not sure what to do because there are interesting trade offs between the 2 cameras.

Here's the quick side by side comparison of features between the two:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

The biggest hang up for me is that this Z730 uses a proprietary Kodak battery pack. I *just* bought a MAHA charger and 4x 2500mah NiMH rechargeables that I obviously couldn't use in this :sad: I'd need to go buy another battery pack or 2 if I kept this camera and I'm sure they won't be cheap since they are proprietary.

The 2nd issue is that the 730 has a 4x zoom instead of the 5x on the Z700. Not a huge difference, but that 5x optical zoom was one of the selling points for me.

The 3rd issue is that the controls are just not laid out nearly as well IMO on this Z730 as they are on the Z700. Annoying.

The positives are a smaller camera size, 2.2" LCD vs. 1.6" on the Z700 and the "professional" (as Kodak calls it) SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON lens as opposed to the Kodak lens on the Z700.

Any advice you can offer here? I was ready to fire off an email to the seller and demand the exchange of cameras, but thought maybe I should see what others thought and find out if I'm better off just sticking with the Z730.

Thanks for any advice you can offer here!

Sigh. This has put a damper on my new camera enthusiasm.

EDIT: it occurs to me that the seller is bound to figure out what happened and ask for either an exchange of cameras or the difference in prices :roll:

Also noticed that the one I received has full manual controls. The Z700 has P, A, and S only. Interesting
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2

Follow Up Post

Of course now that I've spent the evening playing with the Z730 it's growing on me. I've decided that I'm happy with everything about it *except* the battery pack deal. That still bugs me. Found a Delkin brand version of the Kodak battery for $17.99 plus shipping:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...mp;dcaid=15890

I think I'll just have to suck it up and live with the battery pack situation.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit here tonight!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Administrator

Some people like AA batteries better since you can always find them in a pinch, no matter where you are (almost any store would have them).

I haven't compared these cameras in any detail. But, FWIW, I actually prefer Lithium Ion batteries.

For one thing, they hold their charge better than NiMH batteries when the camera is sitting unused.

Also, I can't stand fumbling with AA batteries to make sure the polarity is correct (in the chargers and in the cameras), especially when I'm in a hurry in darker surroundings.

I'd never base a camera decision solely on battery type (and I've got cameras that use both AA and Lithium Ion). But, if all else remained equal, I'd prefer Lithium Ion.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4

Yeah I'm trying not to let the battery thing sway me too much. Particularly frustrating since I *just* bought that MAHA charger and 4 2500mah NiMH batteries specifically for the camera I thought I was getting :roll:
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Administrator

I had to buy new rechargeable batteries not too long ago.

My wife actually threw all of mine away.

The batteries in the remote control for the TV went bad and she found my stash of rechargeables. She tried them all and couldn't get the remote to work. So, she assumed the batteries were bad. Then, she went out and bought new AA Alkaline batteries and the remote still didn't work.

Guess what? She was putting the batteries in upside down (polarity reversed). :-)

I didn't find out until later that she had thrown all of my batteries away while trying to get it to work. Grrrr

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the funny story about "women and batteries", Jim. You didn't probably laugh about it as much as I did.
In the summer NiMH perform very well especially if you have a camera with 4 AA batteries. However, in the winter the capacity of NiMH dwindles dramtically - much more than LiIon batteries.
Ebay is usually the best source for LiIon batteries. For instance, I bought powerful NP-400 batteries for my KM 7D for 5€ and the NP-800 battery for my KM A200 (identical with Nikon's EN-EL1 batteries) did cost only 3.33€. However, the Ebay vendors always boldly exaggerate the capacity of their batteries. In fact, my NP-400 batteries were advertised with a capacity of 2800mAh, but they are nevertheless slightly inferior to the original battery with only 1500mAh.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:22 PM   #7

UPDATE

I got a response from the ebay seller about what happened. Apparently all the Z700's they had in stock were found to have something wrong with them and so he removed all of the Z700 listings from his ebay store and for anyone who had already ordered they substituted the Z730 (the next model up). He says he sent out an email to anyone affected by this, but I never received it.

Long story short, I got a $170 (refurbished) camera for $124 ($110 + $14 shipping.) After much digging around for information I've found that this Z730 really is the hands down better camera. The optics are better, there are more manual controls, it's 5mp instead of 4mp, 2.2" LCD instead of 1.6" and it has exposure bracketing which the Z700 does not.

I'm finally over my initial freak out and am pretty darn happy about the whole thing. Sorry for the long winded posts here, but thanks for letting me rant!