Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I was searching on the internet for a camera advice, and I think this is one of the places that i Found.

Well, I'm newbie with the digital cameras, finally I'll get mi first digital camera, but I'm looking for the best option. I'm only going to be able to get a camera maximum $250 bucks. I'm not an expert with cameras but I want to get a good one, probably 5 or 6 mega pixels.

I was looking in some stores but... lots of models... so, I would like to get an advise from you, with your expertise and experience I think I can get a good deal.

Thanks in advance.
kerozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
rey

Check out Steve's Best Cameras:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Last year I bought my niece a Canon A520 after doing a quick research. I'm not sure it has been discontinued since I got it for $200 with 512MB memory card, and I saw it in stores a few months ago for $150.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3
mrb

There are a vast number of digital cameras now in the $150-$250 range.Providewhat types of pictures you will be taking, in what environments, and any other preferences that you may have, and people on this forum with some experience may be able to better guide you.

The link from rey and Steves detailed reviews are an excellent resource. Look at them carefully. After some research, you should go to a local retailer who carries a lot of models and see how they feel.

I just purchased a Canon S2 IS for $285, which I see is a bit higher than your budget. I havereadthat the Canon A series cameras are very good, so I would take a good look at them.

Good Luck
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:38 PM   #4

Yes, I already checked it, I have here some models to go to the store and ask about them, but I would like to have an opinion from your point of view, and the good experience that you have had with cameras with this features.

Thanks.

K.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:45 PM   #5

Hey mrb,

Well, actuallyI don't want the camera for specific purposes, I mean, I´ll get it for general use.

But features, someone toldme that is better if the camera has a memory stick SD, and not to use it AA batteries, is this true?, if so, this could be come of the features that I could use, to narrow the research =D.

K.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:54 PM   #6
mrb

I'm not an expert by far, but yes, those are some items to consider. Here is what I found ...

SD cards are the most common, and I have found to be among the lowest priced. Sony uses a proprietary "Memory Stick", while Fuji and Olympus often use xD cards. I purchased a 512MB PNY SD card at Staples for $5 after a rebate and coupon, and a 2 GB high speed card at Amazon for $71 after rebate.

Regarding batteries, I believe that Li-Ion batteries last the longest when not being used and are often lighter, but these proprietary batteries can be expensive to replace. I prefer cameras that take AA batteries so that I can use NiMH rechargeables and always have the option to use AA alkalines in a jam. NiMHs last much longer than typical alkalines.

mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7

mrb-

Thanks for posting some excellent asnswers. You have done well and been correct, each and every time.

Kerozz-

Perhaps if we supplied several suggested cameras that would be a help to you.

If you wanted a very simple to use camera with simple menus and with 3X optical zoom, then give some consideration to the Kodak Z760 or the V-550.

If you prefer Canon cameras, take a look at the A-540, the A-610, or A-620

If prefer Sony cameras, take a look at the Sony P-200 or W-50

If you prefer Casio cameras, take a look at the Z-120

If you prefer Nikon camera, take a look at the 7900 or P-4

If you prefer Fuji cameras, take a look at the A-345 or F-10

I hope that helps a bit.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote