Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:12 AM   #1

i am sure you have readthis question many times, i currently own an olympus 765uz 10x zoom, however i struggle on full zoom, to hold the camera steady and lose a lot of photos,i now use a mini tripod of which improves things, i love this cameras photos, though and i wish olympuswould put an i.s. system on their cameras and make choosing my next camera easy for me.

i am a person who does not really want too use anything other than the auto and camera presets, so i hope this does not offend any reader,when i go out i just click away at anything that tickles my fancy could be a flower, an insect, or a gargoyle on top of a church, 100 feet up, or a landscape, whatever.

my problem is i have looked at every 10/12x zoomcamera with an image stabilizor, (think thats how you spell it), read every review, been in loads of shops and become totally confused.

i just want some feed back from megazoom users, who can offer advice on cameras, of this sort, the one i really fancied was the panasonoc fz30 but read about the noise problem, confused again, is the noise a problem on any camera, if you only use it in preset/auto modes? or is it only when you use it in manual modes
honda@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:13 PM   #2

For my purposes image stabilization is an absolute requirement. I do a lot of hand held long focal length photography - I would not have a long zoom camera without it! I am now on my 2[suP]nd[/suP] ultrazoom digicam.stabilized "superzoom" digicam.

My first was the Olympus C2100UZ . It performed faithfully, recording nearly 30,000 exposures over 4 years. And the image quality was consistentlyoutstanding. I'd still be using it except it is simply wearing out mechanically (the mode dial/on-off switch has became erratic.)

After much study and hands-on testing I settled on the Sony H1 as a replacement. Features I particularly liked: quick startup, fast autofocus, very effective image stabilization, excellent image quality, large LCD display (I can see it without my reading glasses!), and outstanding battery life (runs on 2 AA NiMh rechargables - good for 200+ shots on a single charge). Also the price was very attractive.

Only a couple things (minor) I don't like on the H1:The operating manual is not very well written.Everything is there - it's just poorly organized and presented. (Hwever this pretty much a non-issue if you're justgonna use it in fullauto mode - the H1 works great right out of the box!). Also the H1 uses different memory card format from my previous cameras. But this is hardly the camera's fault (just had to buy a couple Memory Sticks and a new card reader...).

Incidentally two of my kids have Canon superzooms (one eachan S1 and an S2) and a brother inlaw hasa Panasonic FZ20.Allgoodcameras too, though personally I prefer the image qualityprovided bythe H1.

FarmallBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:42 PM   #3

Bob-

Thanks for your comments. I have usedmy brother'sSony H-1 myself and was very impressed with it as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:44 PM   #4

thank you both, bob and mt, for your responses, i looked at the h2 in the sony shop the other day, all i need is a memory card and i can put that camera on the road for around £400, u.k. price, not decided yet, as all i have readabout isthe noise problem on all the superzooms, so i am still not 100% sure it is a wise move above my 765uz, i have not read anything upto now that makes me think any superzoom is a vast improvement over my olympus, other than the inclusion of is on the panasonics, sonys and cannon., perhaps i am to concerned about the noise problem ?

dear mt, re:= above,

i have listened to your advice and next time i am off work i am going to have another look at the olympus e500, i can get this camera for approx £600, with the 2 lenses, i am still concerned re the dust problem, if i remember right you said you either own or have used this camera,do you think as a novice i should be concerned over this, as if i had problems, the shop told me it would cost approx., £50 to sort the dust out.

i have decided whatever i do i will keep the 765 for my close ups (macro) of flowers and mainly use, if i remember right the 45 - 150 lense on the e500as a permanant fixture, until i become confident with the camera, is it also possible to use the other lens for close up work? (14 - 45), if so would this give me better results than the macro on the 765 or not ? (i am aware this is not a macro lense), but it could be a compromise, couldnt it ?, the other thing i have considered is if i buy the 500 as a body only, can 1 get a decent quality lens, i.e. 14 - 200 (this if i am right would be 28-400) thus taking care of all my needs other than macroat a decent price, as i have read bad remarks re:- sigma lenses for olympus cameras, but until i get better it would give me, in my opinion the perfect solution to the dust problem as i would not have to remove the lens at all, or in your view should i just buy the twin lens kit,

i hope ths all makes sense to anyone reading it

thanks for any help offered, alan
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:59 PM   #5

alan-

I do indeed own an Olympus E-300 as well as an E-500. My #1 lens of choice is the older Zukio 14-54mm F 2.8. It was the kit lens for the E-1,which can handle macro photos quite nicely. It effectively gives you 28 to 108mm which is a very nice range. The Zukio 14-45mm lens has no real/effective close focus capability at all.

I then keep my Zukio 40-150mm lens mounted on my E-300, so it becomes quite convenient that way. The 14-54mm and the 40-150mm are my favorite lenses.

MT
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:18 AM   #6

mt, still not closed my superzoom options yet, however this camera now looks like the one i wiil be buying, thanks for your help

alan
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:10 AM   #7

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
i just want some feed back from megazoom users, who can offer advice on cameras, of this sort, the one i really fancied was the panasonoc fz30 but read about the noise problem, confused again, is the noise a problem on any camera, if you only use it in preset/auto modes? or is it only when you use it in manual modes

Yes noise is an issue on all cameras but its when it occurs and how the camera copes with it which is the difference.

Doesnt matter how much you spend you will encouter noise issues somewhere down the track. May it be at iso400 or iso3200.

Yes panasonic has a noise issue which occurs at iso400. Personally i avoid iso400 if i can. I find iso200 very usable and dont have a problem with the noise.

You may find other cameras can output the same noise level as the pana at iso200 with settings as high as iso800. Usually the larger sensor cameras. E.g. DSlr.

I own the fz30 and i am very very happy with it. I dont encounter issues with noise as i can optimise my shot to avoid this and ofcourse the OIS saves the day on lo shutter speeds. Fz outputs great colour and contrast right throughout the zoom range. This is an excellent camera if big zoom is what your after. 35mm to 420. unfortunately the wide end isnt very wide so you may have issues with framing.

See work from my FZ30

Macro
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

At long end of zoom

At med zoom

Fast Action at long zoom
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:16 AM   #8

Kenmck-

Many thanks for posting some great photos. The Panasonic FZ-30 does a great job outdoors.

MT
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:48 AM   #9

A friend of mine who practically had every panasonic FZ series recently got TZ1 and is quite happy with it. It doesn't have manual modes like aperture and shutter priority but 10x zoom with image stablization is a very small pkg. Noise won't matter much for outside shots unless you need to shoot at higher ISOs which are bad on any p&s.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:11 PM   #10

Hey Ken

Those shots you took with the FZ30
did you use any special lenses?

or is the camera really that good.. or did
you use programs to fix em up

They say the FZ30 is a darker lens then the FZ20

I dont know which camera to buy

The FZ30 seems like an awesome camera

but theres also the sony H1 and the Cannon S3

ANy suggestions? you seem to love your FZ30.. the pictures