Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:14 AM   #11

Im not worried what camera takes the pictures, im really just after a general idea of the difference between 5.1 and 7+ Mega pixels. I also just walked up the high street and the lowest price instore to be found was £469 !!! a big difference than £240 online.....now do i really need that 12x zoom if the other powershot has a 6x and very good macro feature but more mega pixels....im still undecided now
downloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:13 AM   #12

Just been reading this thread... http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15..... groan.....we take quite few indoor photos and will prolly use the auto focus feature quite a lot (especially wife) untill i have learnt more about photography....i should change this thread subject now to "cannon S-2 IS vs ????)
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:03 AM   #13

Ok heres a round up of what i want...

Price: £250-£260

Macro: Yes & super macro

Optical zoom: 10 upwards

Megapixels: 6 upwards

General Requirements: An good featured camera that i can learn with/grow into, we take a lot of indoor photos in low light situations, want a good AF (heard lots of problems with the S2-IS) so the wife can just point and click.

I really dont know, i like the look and feel of the cannon s2 IS but now i read that thread about the AF and pictures having a soft look about them i am not sure now. Then again has every camera got a thread with some sort of flaw against it ?.....it may help to know i am quite a dab hand at image editing with photshop cs, using filters and masks etc and layers using hi res images of the net, i am however a novice camera user looking to learn more.

Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:59 PM   #14

Kevin-

I am a digital camera Instructor for our state university and have had many students come through my courses who own the Canon S-2 IS, and I myself own the S-2 as well. Among that rather large collection of users who I have personally had personal one on one contact with, not one user has ever complained of a lack of sharpness in the images produced by their Canon S-2.

The Canon S-2 offers a good deal of value when you consider all of its features. However, in the final analysis, the decision is yours.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:17 PM   #15

Bugger,:G and thank you.......right....one last cam to throw in the pot.....i didnt know panasonic made cameras as well...or did i...none the less, what do you think of the http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/fz7_pg2.htmlas a viable alternative...it has 1million more mega pixels and anti shake and also a macro facility...i think i will order the cannon....its just that you never mentioned this model in your other alternatives, maybe because you know nothing of the range or think they are of lesser quality.

I am going to order tommorow, if i am still undecided i will just go for the cannon anyway, you know what its like though....you dont want to miss out on a spectacular .

Thank you and everyone else for thier input into this...its funny how the world turns, i actually found this site when i was looking for a fix for my epson printer and bookmarked it as it looked quite handy....it is very handy indeed and the people in here.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:27 PM   #16

Kevin-

My only personal objection to the Panasonic FZ-5 and FZ-7 is that they show a good deal of noise at ISO settings of 200 and above. The "high ISO capability" of the FZ-7 is only at a reduced resolution, not at full resolution at all. So if you are not going to be doing a good deal of low light level shooting it is certainly a consideration.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:53 PM   #17

Well, the cannon it is then....i will be doing indoor pics quite a lot, families parties etc, so the cannon does deffo come out on top there.

I will post back how much i paid for it and i am sure i will be here asking question onced i dived into it.

regards.