Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:00 AM   #1

Having seen the casio on offer in a mail shot for £180, my interest has been sparked in purchasing a new camera to replace my aging and long shutter lag sony cybershot dsc p5.

After reading around at various reviews i came accross the cannon S2 IS and was wondering if people here would agree that the cannon is the better choice, also it is the highest price i am willing to pay for a camera at £248 (the casio is £180).

Can anyone reccomend any other alternatives to the cannon within the same price range, i particually like the macro feature and the 12 optical zoom.

Also just seen the Canon Powershot S70 which is 7.1MP and has RAW file format capabilities.....is RAW format a major plus ?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Kevin.

downloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:12 AM   #2

The more i look the more confused i get :?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:16 AM   #3

Kevin-

The Raw format is only valuable if you are willing to take every photo you take through photo editing. It is effective but many camera users do not want to that much work after the photos are taken.

The Canon S-2 IS is a very good camera, it have received many excellent professional reviews, and it has a legion of very happy users. However, as you have noted, it is at the top of your budget. It is a very capable camera and lots of users love the 12X optical zoom and the Image Stabilization system.

Several compromise Canon Cameras could possible be the Canon A-700 which offers 6X optical zoom, the Canon A-610 and the A-620. If camera size is an issue, consider the SD-700 IS which is also Image Stabilized.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:35 AM   #4

Thanks for that mtclimber, i will have a look at those alternatives now and air any questions on this thread......i have another querie regarding the S2 IS, it is 5MP...would there be any great noticeable difference between that and say a 7MP camera...if so then i want to really get as much MP for my money as possible...i konw for example that in the computer world you wouldnt notice any increase in cpu speed of say 1 Ghz...well maybe a couple of blinks of the eye.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:45 AM   #5

I think these are both fine cameras, but clearly with the S2 you can do a lot more than with the Z750. I had the predecessor of the S2, the S1, and I really liked a lot. The Z750 suffers from the ominous lense error. This problem should have been resolved by now, but if you get a copy from the earlier production, you may still get it. The advantage of the Z750 is its small size, its higher quality sensor and the mpeg4 movie mode. While the S2 has also an excellent movie mode, it uses mjpeg compression instead and a 1 GB card is filled within 9 minutes. With the Casio you can record about 4 times as much on a 1 GB card. The Casio Z120 has the same excellent image quality as the Z750, but is significantly cheaper, uses cheap NiMH batteries and does not suffer from the lense error. On the downside,it doesn't have the mpeg4 movie mode of the Z750. Like the S2, it has only a high quality mjpeg movie mode.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:09 AM   #6

Ok, this lens error thing has cropped up a few times for the ex z750, i dont want to chance it so i am dumping that from my options, im really into this Canon S-2 IS now, i did have a look at review for the mentioned alternative of Canon A-700 which mtclimber mentioned...however i cant seem to find a review of it on here via the index so i looked via google, although i can see there is a comprimise on the optical zoom i cant see any mention of the macro facility and whether its as good as the cannon Canon S-2 IS.

I can get the Canon S-2 IS for £248.59 so far and is the best featured i have found for my useage. I would like all those featured in a compact but im pretty sure i wont get a 12x zoom on a compact....so i need something that i can use in an instant and something that will let me experiment with different features more akinned to the professional market before i ever buy an slr.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:30 AM   #7

Kevin-

The highest quality images in the JPEG format will most probably come from the 7.2mp Canon A-620. It has good macro, but only 4X optical zoom.

The Canon S-2 while 5mp offers more features:Image Stabilization, excellent macro, and that long 12X optical zoom.

MT
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:39 AM   #8

I think i am going to go for the Canon S-2 IS, those extra features far out way the MP issue...anyhow, my current camera is 3.1 so to go up to 5.1 will be a marked improvement, however am i losing out on a lot with regard to it not being 6 or 7 mega pixel, are there any threads with images showing the difference between 5.1 MP and 7.1 MP of the same subject ?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:04 AM   #9

To get an even lower price, it may be a good idea to wait until the S3 starts selling. On the other hand, the UK is a high price market, whence most of this "old" inventory is usually dumped on the german market or the US market. When I bought a KM A200 recently, also old inventory, it came with a french manual.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:31 AM   #10

Kevin-

There are no direct comparisons of photos taken of the same subject with the Canon S-2 IS and the Canon A-620, that I know of . However, at www.pbase.com you can do a search of images by specific cameras. That might be useful to you.

MT