Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:54 AM   #11

everybody knows half the fun in photography is choosing gear :-)

well, now, between the d50 and the e500, I'm actually considering... the fuji s9000!

I'm starting to think I don't really use most of the advantages slr systems have to offer. after owning a film slr for 7 years, I only bought one extra lens, and I seldom ever use it. I never do studio work, and maybe 99.9% of the shots I take are using the simplest setup possible: the 28-80 lens and maybe the built-in flash. so, I don't know, but maybe an advanced slr-like camera is the way to go... I'd have my current zoom range all in one camera, all the manual controls I might need, and quite a few extra megapixels (with more resolution than the kit lens in an average dslr). expandability is hardly a requirement for me. and the s9000 is selling for 450 after rebate these days. I'm tempted.

decisions, decisions
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:07 AM   #12

Kezs-

I also own a Fuji S-9000, and while being a fairly good camera, it has its limitations, and work arounds are required. In camera processing is at a minimum and some post processing will usually be required. The S-9000, at least for me, just cannot compete with a good DSLR camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:42 PM   #13

mtclimber,

as usually, thanks for your help.

considering I probably won't be using a range of lens outside the 28-300 in the s9000, could you ellaborate on the advantages of a dslr over an advanced slr-like?

I'm sorry to bother you with these questions, but there are some things one just can't learn from reviews online, and, like you said, you have an unique point of view. there's a lot one just can't learn from handling a camera at the store...

Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:12 PM   #14

Kezs-

Let me post a series of four photos for you to take a look at and evaluate. The first two are from the Fuji S-9000 and the third and fourth images are from the Nikon D-50. Fair enough? Take a good look at the images and then you make your own judgement. I left the S-9000 to move to the D-50.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:22 PM   #15

mtclimber,

contact nikon and charge them for your comission on the sale. :-) and thank you very much indeed.

a refurb d50 with the 18-55 is shipping for around 480. I read somewhere that your d50 is a refurb as well... I'm following in your footsteps.

edit: I just realized the comission joke could have sounded like I was implying you have ulterior motives to promoting the d50. just thought I'd make it clear that's not what I meant.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:44 PM   #16

kezs wrote:
Quote:
...considering I probably won't be using a range of lens outside the 28-300 in the s9000, could you ellaborate on the advantages of a dslr over an advanced slr-like?
Have a look here, it can give you a better picture of a "dslr vs prosumer slr-like digicam" business:

http://ilikecameras.com/equipment/ch...etween-bridge/

Just keep in mind that if you want to utilise the full potential of a DSLR you will have to invest a lot of $$$ in good quality lenses.

At the end this is your decision. With your current zooms you loose a wide-angle since your 28-80 mm becomes 42-120 with D50, and wide-angle Nikkors are expensive.

You haven't said what kind of pictures you take, so it's hard to suggest.

Personally, after a lot of thinking I sold my Nikon SLR and lenses and bought S9500.

Ideally I would like to have both DSLR and an advanced digicam + a good pocket camera and in 1.5-2 years time I will. For now S9500 serves me well.

Just my $0.02,

Best wishes,

Alex

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:54 PM   #17

hey algold, and once again thanks.

that's an interesting article. seems to cover pretty much the differences between "bridge" and dslr. some stuff there I didn't know...

well, I don't really have preferences while shooting. night, day, in, out, portrait, landscape, macro, family... pretty much everything goes. hey, why not take a look: http://kezs.deviantart.com/. that'll give you an idea.

my no. 1 concern choosing a camera is image quality. the no. 2 is... image quality. and no. 3 too. you get the idea. I like playing around with my pics, post-processing them, cropping, etc. I'd keep my old 28-80 for my film slr, and I'd get the 18-55 with the d50 for wide angle (I'm an architect, wide angle = good). and I definitely won't be spending hundreds on new lenses. once I have the 18-55 plus my current 70-300 with a 1.4tc, I'm not likely to get anything new in at least a few good years...

anyway. just a few considerations...

check this out:

fuji s9000: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/DSCF0765.JPG

nikon d50 (18-55 kit lens):
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...C_0136_NEF.JPG

a huge difference, even after scaling down to the same size.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:12 AM   #18

Hi, Kezs.

I've looked at your gallery - you've got some great images there.

Get yourself a D50 and enjoy it. If you don't shoot slide film, consider selling the film body, 28-80mm (it's not a very good zoom anyway) and a teleconverter, and buy a D50 body, Sigma 15-30mm (or similar) and a 50mm F1.8 Nikkor (or better yet a 60mm Micro Nikkor, or aSigma 50mm macro). You can buy used lenses to save quite a lot of money. With the kind of photos you take, this setup will keep you happy for several years without further investments. Oh, yes, get yourself a sturdy tripod if you don't have one already.

Good luck,

Alex.

P.S. As for Fuji's and Nikon's images - it's not a fair comparison. The Nikon's pic was taken in RAW format, Fuji's - Jpeg. Even so, there is not much difference between the images. Fuji's pic needs a little sharpening, after that if you print them at A4 size you won't see any difference. D50 (and DSLRs in general) really shines in low light/action photography. In bright light with static objects the results IMO are pretty much the same.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:51 AM   #19

well, thanks to mtclimber, I bought a d50. I had it shipped to my brother and he's bringing it to me here in brazil, but he's sent me a few sample images and I'm all excited about it. can't wait!

I'll be back with sample pictures and discussions as soon as I get my hands on it.

thanks, mtclimber, for your advice!
Old May 28, 2006, 2:02 AM   #20

kezs,

Congratulations on your D50 purchase. I am wondering whether you bought new or went the refurb route? I owe you a word of thanks. From another post of yours on refurbs I started looking at them. I got my D50 from Cameta. It came in perfect condition. And from another thread I learned how to check for usage. My factory demo came with less than 60 shutter actuations on it.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get your camera. I love mine.

Dadeo
Dadeo is offline   Reply With Quote