Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1

Hi All,
My first digital camera was the Fuji 2800 and I wore off the lettering on the top from use. Thought I should step up because I was so fantastic ha ha and bought the S7000. I would like to purchase a camera to shoot in low light situations for indoor stuff, the S7000 always puts up the little shaky hand thing when I am in low light when I do not want to use the flash. I don't want to change lenses, although I have bought lenses for the S7000. I really have only used the auto settings.
Baseball games, indoor school functions, family stuff. What would be an improvement, the next step after the FujiS7000?
thank you all,
Karen
shaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:10 PM   #2

Karen-

You mention baseball games, does that mean you are looking for more zoom+a lowlight level shooting capability. If so either of the Fuji F-5200 or the F-9000 could fill that bill. If you were looking for a second camera to go along with your S-7000, then the Fuji F-10 could fill that bill too.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:08 PM   #3

MT,
If I were to replace the Fuji S7000, would you replace it with the Nikon D50 or the Fuji S9000?
Do either of them have better auto low light capabilities than the S7000?
How about a faster shutter?
Karen
shaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:03 PM   #4

shaysmom wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,
My first digital camera was the Fuji 2800 and I wore off the lettering on the top from use. Thought I should step up because I was so fantastic ha ha and bought the S7000. I would like to purchase a camera to shoot in low light situations for indoor stuff, the S7000 always puts up the little shaky hand thing when I am in low light when I do not want to use the flash. I don't want to change lenses, although I have bought lenses for the S7000. I really have only used the auto settings.
Baseball games, indoor school functions, family stuff. What would be an improvement, the next step after the FujiS7000?
thank you all,
Karen
shaysmom wrote:
Quote:
MT,
If I were to replace the Fuji S7000, would you replace it with the Nikon D50 or the Fuji S9000?
Do either of them have better auto low light capabilities than the S7000?
How about a faster shutter?
Karen
Hi Karen,

(Not really) to answer your first question, "improvement" is subjective. It can refer to any feature that may be important to you, but not to another person.

Comparing an Electronic Viewfinder camera (S9000) to an SLR (D50) is difficult; they're two different "beasts".

If I had the opportunity, I would replace it with a Nikon D50. You may become even more fantastic in a couple of years and may need a camera that will grow with your talents. I own the D70 and it's such a great camera. I used to own the Fuji S602 with I also loved (but I dropped and broke it), so I'm partial to either brand.

Both go up to ISO 1600, but the Nikon will give you a less noisy pic at that ISO.

As for shutter speed, both are the same---30 to 1/4000 sec, but the Nikon also has a Bulb setting. As for aperture, the Fuji has f/2.8-f/4.9; the Nikon---depends on the lens you get/buy.

Remember that with the Nikon, you'll need get a lens if you only buy the body.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:03 PM   #5

Jerry has done an excellent job of explaining the differences in the Fuji S-9000 and the Nikon D-50. Because I own both cameras perhaps I can add a bit more information for you.if we were to calbrate photo potial as a scal running from 0 to 100, it would be fair to classify the S-9000 as a 65 potential camera. It is a good camera, but it does produce measurable noise, and require some work arounds to get the most from the camera. The images will actuallyrequire more post processing than the images from the D-50.

On the other hand, the Nikon D-50is a 95 to 100 potential camera. That because the D-50 has one of the lowest noise signatures of any camera, and it also has the ability to change lenses as needed, to give you almost unlimited photo flexibility.

The D-50 works well in automatic, and even better as you learn to use all of its many potentials. Here is a sample sunset photo taken in automatic.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:55 AM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jerry has done an excellent job of explaining the differences in the Fuji S-9000 and the Nikon D-50. Because I own...
Thanks for the compliment, MT.

And---excellent sunset!!!
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote