Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:13 PM   #1

:?

Hi, I've had an old Canon AE that I've been messing around on and following a recentbonus at workhave decided I cam finally take photography more seriously. I've booked on a two day course and want to take my new digital camera with me. The question is what camerado I buy?! I did a lot of internet research and thought I was decided on the Canon 30D, however walking into a camera shop today the assistant tried to convince me to buy a Nikon D50 instead? My understanding is these cameras are not really comparible but how do I decide what I should buy? Help!! I really am a novice, but want to take photography much more seriously and would love to make it mycareer one day. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Gone Missing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 6:40 PM   #2

gone-

IMHO you would have a smoother, easier begining to restarting with a great DSLR camera if you were to begin with the Nikon D-50. I sincerely think that things would be a good deal more simple and comfortable as you eased yourself into high calibre photography once more.

You might conjure how I can be saying such things. Well, I have seen this transition happen many times over the years I ama Digital Photography Instructor for our state university. Of course it is your decision, but I would guess that youmight find the multi-featured Canon 30D a very large morsel to digest all at once. It is sort oflike do youjump into the deep water on the first leap, or do you wade in more gradually.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:56 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice. The Nikon D50 it is!!!
Gone Missing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:02 AM   #4

Hi,

I just recently bought the D50 as a return to the SLR world after 30 years, and although I have no experience with the other DSLR's out there, in my opinion you did not make a bad choice! I bought my D50 on sale with the 18-55 kit lens, and have just added the Nikon 50mm 1.8 as my second lens.

I am completely happy with this camera so far! It feels just right in my hands, for me it is the perfect size. Ok, an SLR is a lot of camera to take around with you compared to a mini P&S, but I am totally impressed with how quickly the D50 starts up, how quickly it takes photos and stores them, etc. etc.

For me, I am happy I made the decision for a DSLR over a superzoom P&S.
sti_sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5

You could always get a rebel xt, can be found $679 after rebata at b&h and get the hand grip. I tried both at store, D50 fell a lot better than 350d but the color tones on ppl I liked better on the xt, they felt just right, the D50's color settings are a bit aggresive, When I tried both several things that make me lean towards the xt is that the control requires less menu hunting, the D50 you had to go through whole menu to do some changes dunno if i can get though the cheap build of the xt, and the ccd sensor of the nikon that made by sony. Tried the 20D fell In love with it, If you want something with space to grow go with 20-30D is your best bet, if you wanna save 350xt delivers equal picture quality with less options. D50 for the $$ is a great camera I recommend it, just that I don't like the color tones on ppl, and I'm not what you call a fan of sony CCD sensors, and I need mirror lock up for long exposures, D50 can lock only to clean sensor, all other mentioned can be locked for long exposures. Gotta love the Nikon's flash, best around.

Either the D50, XT, D20-30 will make you a happy man
, is all based on personal taste, I would try em both, get a feel and see what you feel more comfortable working with, control wise, weight, size ect, budget then decide whats best for you. To me I don't wanna invest in a dslr too often, theres ppl that change theyr dslr every time a new one comes, my budget has other priorities at the moment. Canon has a 18month recycle time in the cameras so sometime in august I would say the xt might get an upgrade in body maybe lcd, doubt body upgrade would be too big because then ppl wouldn't have an insentive to buy the more expensive camera. Right now I'm not in rush to get a dslr, got time to waste so might wait till the xt upgrade, or get an xt or 20-30D. You should have less trouble if you saved some of your old lenses, If they don't fit there's prob and adaptor sold somewhere, a good glass can make a huge quality difference in any camera compared to stock.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:27 PM   #6

If you do get the D50 I've heard the nikon 18-200VR is a sick lens if you can get a hold of one. Dunno if i'll fit a D50 but is a great since i'll save a lotta lens swapping, anyone own one? and how big is that monster?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:49 PM   #7

ellover

There are several threads about the Nikon 18-200mm VR II lens over in the Nikon Lens folder. There is also a lot of discussion over on www.dpreview.com's Nikon Lens Forum.

MT
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:44 PM   #8

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sonicdmcl1.asp
I've been reading about this camera for some time, hopefully i'll be released soon, might be a good alternative to the D50, xt ect. the Panasonic DMC-L1 will offer antishake, and will have an ultrasonic to remove dust to remove a good ammount of the cleaning necessary. Little boxy but has a nice Leica lens.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:17 PM   #9

ellover-

I agree the Panasonic L-1 is an interesting camera, but it is way beyond (projected to MSRP at about $(US) 1599.00) my budget. Perhaps the price will fall 6 to 12 months after introduction, but for now I will just be on the sidelines watching what develops.

MT
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:25 AM   #10

The Panasonic will use the same Sony made sensor that Nikon uses so look for heavy noise at 400 ISO and above.* Except for that, the prospect of using Leica lens looks promising.
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote