Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:53 AM   #1

I attend a lot of concerts and basketball games. The lighting in those situations can be pretty crappy so I need a digital camera that can handle it. I think I need at least 5x optical zoom and I can't spend more than $200. I also want to be able to use movie mode with sound until the memory card is full and that needs to be at least 40 minutes at its lowest setting. I know that is pushing it, but I also know I can't expect the absolute best for that price. I just want good images instead of the nasty ones I've had in the past. My only digital camera has been the Kodak Easyshare CX6330 so I just need a nice upgrade.

Three options I'm looking at are:

Kodak Easyshare Z700 for about $160 new

Panasonic Lumix LS2 for about $160 new

Nikon Coolpix L1 for $200 new

I am definitely open to other options if they will work for my purposes and don't cost over $200. Any help would be appreciated, but I am completely camera stupid so I don't understand most of the terms yet. I need the simple answers.:-)
Concertsandsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:23 AM   #2
E.T

Concertsandsports wrote:
Quote:
I also want to be able to use movie mode with sound until the memory card is full and that needs to be at least 40 minutes at its lowest setting.
That would require camera with MPEG4 video compression... unless you're satisfied with very low resolution and/or jumpy 15fps framerate.

Now don't expect much from video modes of this price class cameras, also there's not much anything to talk in their low light capabilities.

Neither can compacts have much any tele (that long end focal length what you want to use from longer distance) without bad drop in lens' light gathering power.

Fuji F10 would be your best option, regardless of its short zoom range, but even that might go over budget.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3

You're going to have slim picking for that price... Canon's new models are coming out.. I'm in Canada, so don't follow the US prices, but check out the Canon S2 IS.. you MAY be able to get it for around 250... as it's been dropping in price pretty consistantly.The zoom is incredible and you're video option is excellent quality. You will be investing in memory cards to get the length on any camera though.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:05 PM   #4

I saw the Canon S2 IS yesterday and I really think that it is too big for the events I go to. They are picky about what kinds of cameras they will let into the venues.

I also can't spend that much. I know I won't have the best quality. I can accept that. I just want something good, not excellent.

If you were choosing between these three, which would you pick for concerts and sporting events?

Kodak Easyshare Z700 for about $160 new

Panasonic Lumix LS2 for about $160 new

Nikon Coolpix L1 for $200 new

Concertsandsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:17 PM   #5

The S2 is the camera I use for concerts, events, etc.. And I've never been told it's too large.. but everyones needs / wants are different.

I don't have experience with those cameras, so can't help you.. though I'm sure someone else can.

The Canon A610 is similar to the S2.. smaller and a bit cheaper.. I'd recommend that camera as well.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote