Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:17 AM   #11

Thanks again for all your feedback.

I hopefully will have my new 5D by the end of the day!

Re: an additional lens - the 50mm F 1.7 lens suggested by MTClimber - what range does that have and who makes it?

I'll probably hold off on buying an additional lens, at least for a little while until I have more of an idea of what I might need, and how much I'm prepared to spend on it!
nickytgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:39 AM   #12
E.T

nickytgraham wrote:
Quote:
Re: an additional lens - the 50mm F 1.7 lens suggested by MTClimber - what range does that have and who makes it?
That's fixed focal length "prime".
Making fast primes is much much easier than fast zoom lenses so fastest lenses are always primes.
With additional "crop factor" that lens is effectively 75mm one.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:48 PM   #13

Every one who ever is moving to DSLR's will be having similar questions. Me too had the similar questions when I recently purchase Nikon D50. You have already mentioned all major manufacturers except Pentax.

To me 8 MP does not matter much and 6 MP is more than sufficient for my use. Also I am generally shooting only at 5 MP to keep the Photo file size small on my computer. To me i feel instead of more pixels i think good picture quality is more important. You can checkout the sample pictures taken with these cameras at different ISO levels (100, 400, 800, 1600).

Nikon D50 gives you the best performance at higher ISO levels when compared to any other camera including it big brotherNikon D70s. To me the small black & white LCD on the camera which shows all the camera settings is also important as you may not know what settings you had on your camera as the regular color LCD might get faded out when your really shooting in red hot sun. I think only 3 camera's have this Blank & white LCD which are Canon, Nikon & Pentax. Out which canon XT mightshow less information on black & white LCD when compared to Nikon & Pentax.

KM 5D is also nice with its Anti-shake mechanism, if you can compromise a bit in the picture quality. Olympus E-500 may not perform better at higher ISO levels when compared to any other camera as it has got the smallest CCD size when compared to all its competitor cameras. I might personally prefer either Nikon D50 or KM 5D. You may also have to think about getting some nice lens to give you the best picture quality and their lens prices too as canon lenses costs more when compared to similar nikon lens. Other manufatures lens like from Pentax etc might cost even less, but the resale value for Canon & Nikon lens might be more.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...d_samples.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_samples.html

vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote