Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:29 AM   #1

I would like a camera with good zoom, takes great pictures in extremely dark scenes, is easy to use and looks professional. My Price range is $300-$500 and here are some of the cameras I'm considering. My previous camera was a 3.2 MP Kodak Easyshare and it surprisingly took great pics in extreme darkness. I want a camera that I can keep for at least a few years and not have to worry that I'm gonna have to upgrade soon.

Cameras I'm considering. Which one do you think I should buy?

Kodak Easyshare Z740

Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W7

Nikon Coolpix 7900

Kodak Easyshare P880

Kodak Easyshare V603

Konica Minolta Dimage z6

Nikon Coolpix S4

Sony DSC-H1

How much better are pictures on newer cameras above 3.2 megapixel in the dark?
Ghostly Pic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:11 AM   #2

What is the reason that you want to upgrade now.....??? Because you don't want to upgrade within a few years....

You've selected a few total different camera's... So what do you want to fotograph with your camera, besides the total darkness...???

Rudo

Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:36 AM   #3

yes what is your ideal photo experience.

do you photograph motorsport
Lo light portraits
Landscapes
Macro Work

Do you want to produce large prints
Do you want big zoom

you have a very diverse range of cameras that suite a wide range of uses. If you can narrow ur needs down it will be easier to try and recomend.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:10 PM   #4

I review haunted houses all over Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana and while going through many of these places, it's very dark to completely pitch black. I want a camera that will do well in these situations with great flash and visible LCD. I also go to a lot of sports events and I need a good zoom depending on where I'm sitting. But if there is a camera that has a bad zoom, but takes drastically better pics than one with 10x or more does, I'll probably choose that camera. I want a camera that is good enough that I don't want to have to upgrade in a few years.

Cameras I'm considering. Which one do you think I should buy or should I consider something else?

Kodak Easyshare Z740

Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W7

Nikon Coolpix 7900

Kodak Easyshare P880

Kodak Easyshare V603

Konica Minolta Dimage z6

Nikon Coolpix S4

Sony DSC-H1

How much better are pictures on newer cameras above 3.2 megapixel in the dark?

Here is my website if you're interested.

City Blood-Ohio Haunt Reviews

http://blooddrop.ownspot.com/34690_79633.asp

Ghostly Pic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:44 PM   #5

You have considered quite a range of very diverse cameras. I would go for the Kodak P880. It has extremely wide (24mm) angle picture capabilities and a decent zoom. It uses rather cheap SD memory cards and its picture quality is decent. It does ok in low light and has a fairly powerful flash. You can get it forless than 500 bucks online. I would think that wide angle is more important than super zoom in your line of work.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:04 AM   #6

i have to say im surprised to see no fuji cams on there. the first cam that came to mind was the fuji s5600. 5mp, 10x optical super ccd with 64-1600iso. Only real downer i can see in ur case is tht its only 38mm at wide angle. you may want more if your in tight spots.

Its bigger brother has a wider angle and more res (9mp) but a bit pricier though. S9000/9500 has a wide of 28mm so much beta for tight spots.

these things are born and bred for low light performance

A good camera in the dark usually has a highly sensitive ccd which can produce lo amounts of noise at hi iso levels. Fuji have develped the new super ccd which IMO can run upto iso800 with excellent results for small prints or websites.

The H2, which replaces the H1 you mentioned also has new noise reducing technology which occurs when the image is stil in its prime raw state and these new models also have higher sensitivity ccds. Upto 1000 i think.

i used to own a dscw5 and its was an excellent camera. I was very happy with it and i got awesome results from it. Zoom is limited and top iso level is only 400. Lo light performance will be limited and ther is also no Aperture or shutter priority on this cam which i thoght was a real downer.

Unfortuately i dont no anythign about kodak digitals., we stopped stocking them about a year ago.

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:37 AM   #7

get the canon 30d with the 85mm f1.2... oh and a pano stitch program... drool
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:57 PM   #8

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
get the canon 30d with the 85mm f1.2... oh and a pano stitch program... drool

yea the 30-d is awesome.