Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:28 AM   #1

Hello all,

I've read many forum messages and am impressed with the great knowledge I'm seeing around here. Hoping for some feedback.

Personal background: I've only been a Point& Shoot (P&S) type guy... currently owning a Kodak Easyshare camera and REALLY enjoying it. However, I thought I'd take the next step in this hobby and hoping for some advice. I'm as NOVICE as they come... but willing to learn.

I've been looking at two DSLRs: the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D50. It's a great debate going on internally as which one to purchase. Here are the pros of each one and finally, to which I'm leaning.

Canon Rebel XT: 3 frames per second (fps), 8 megapixel (mp), seems lens are a bit less expensive than the Nikon.

Nikon D50: only 2.5 fps (is this going to be REALLY noticeable?), only 6 mp, I like the feel of the D50 better...it feels a bit "heavier" and thus more substantial to me. The Canon seemed a bit front-heavy (in my opinion).

What am I going to do with the camera?

Well, as I said, want to pursue this as a hobby... nothing professional... but just something about which I can learn and get some enjoyment. I'll most likely use it for landscape and portrait, with SOME action shots (not going to any sport events anytime soon! )

I'm a school teacher so COST is certainly a factor (not just for this initial purchase, but for future lenses).

Any and all advice is appreciated...and if I can answer more questions about what I'm seeking, please feel free to ask them.

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback/input!

Ted
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:04 AM   #2

theres loads of stuff comparing these two cameras, so do a search and you will be surprised

all I can say is I have the D50 and love it, cheers
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:21 AM   #3

For sure both the camera's are very good for any user other than PRO's. 2.5 or 3 frames should not matter much as long as we don't do much of burst or action shots and same when it comes to 6 MP or 8 MP too. To me picture quality is more important than having more MP.

Both camera's deliver nice images but Nikon D50 performance at high ISO levels is very good when compared to XT and D70s. I heard from most of the people saying that Nikon lens prices are less when compared to Canon. But you can check them.

I have Nikon D50 and I love it too. Following combinations might be useful.

Nikon D50 + 18-55mm + 50mm f/1.8 + 70-300mm

Nikon D50 + 18-200mm VR ( one lens to cover upto 200mm with anti-shake)

See my post here :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:35 AM   #4

From prices I have seen Canon lens' seem cheaper... I have similar setup to you 18-55mm kit, 50mm 1.8f and 28-300 Tamron.I do have a bit of lens lust for that 18-200 but then I thought to myself " change lenses and use a tripod"
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5

As has already been posted, either camera (the Canon 350D/XT ot the Nikon D-50) will serve you very well indeed and give you very good sevice, as well as superior photos. I decided on the Nikon D-50 because I felt that it had a superior viewfinder and a much better grip. The grip felt very pinched indeed on the Canon XT. But those are both personal and subjective factors.

Keep in mind that you can reduce your after camera purchase lens costs, by utilizing superior and individual lenses from third party lens makers. Here is an example of the kind of photos that I have been able to capture with my Nikon D-50.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:43 PM   #6

First thanks to all who have responded. Much appreciated!

Secondly, thanks for the picture, MT...I only hope that someday I'll be able to take equally stunning photos.

With regards to your advice on after-purchase lens costs...how will I know what's a "good" lens vs. an "inferior" lens? I'd hate to purchase a lens on what I think is a great deal, only to find it's a low-end lens.

For example, Best Buy has a Nikkor lens 55-200 mm... for $279. I'm not sure if that's a "good" lens or "inferior/low-end" lens. :?

I guess as I continue, I'll learn... I feel like one of my third-graders who is being introduced to cursive!!! :?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:29 PM   #7

Ted-

You have to sort out the lenses by reading lens reviews and seeing reports and sample photos on Forums such as this. There is a lot of information in the Nikon Lens Folder, for example.

Secondly, you have to become a good shopper. I was able to purchase the Nikkor 55-200mm lens by shopping for $194 delivered. The Nikkor 55-200 lens is nice because it is small/short, and it is optically somewhat above average.

Another consideration would be the single lens approach such as the Tamron 18-200mm XR Di II lens which gives you a span from a wide angle to a moderate zoom, which is a nice combination. I will attach a photo taken with that Tamron 18-200mm lens. It was taken through a window at the 200mm max zoom.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:46 PM   #8

how much does the tamrom 55-200 go for?
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Both camera's deliver nice images but Nikon D50 performance at high ISO levels is very good when compared to XT and D70s.
I pesonally would go for the Nikon D50 over the XT, but the ISO performance at 800 and 1600 is significantly better on the XT from the tests over at DPReview.

The D50 is much better than the D70, but the XT is better still at high ISO. Check out their D50 review for side-by-side comparisons.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:00 AM   #10

Wow! That was taken through a window! Remarkable!

I definitely like the idea of a single-lens approach... I figure the fewer times I have to switch lenses, the better.

Perhaps I'll check out bhphotovideo.com and see about prices for the Tamron 18-200mm.

Thanks again!

Edit: Hmm...is the Tamron for the Canon or the Nikon? Amazon.com has it but it's for the Canon?

Or do some companies make lenses for each of the major camera manufacturers? So much to learn!

Edit again: Oh, I see that Amazon.com sells the Tamron for about $385 (once they come in! LOL)...is that a reasonable price?