Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:45 AM   #1

so i own a sony dsc-v1, but it has bulk, and slow speed, and mediocre battery life, and has soem problems in low light. so i'm thinking of buying a new camera.

i'm starting a bicycle trip in early June from maine to seattle, so i'd like a camera with a powerful battery (and/or cheap spare batteries). i can't see myself taking more than 20 pictures in a day, but i probably won't be seeing an outlet for my battery charger more than once a week (probably once every other week). i'd definitely buy spare batteries if they aren't too pricey or heavy.

i'd also like to cut down on weight while maintaining quality if possible. i'd be fine with 3 or 4 megapixels, but i'd like a camera that could deal with lowish light and had good color (esp for nature). i'll probably be doing a lot of crooked landscapes (using my bike as a bipod), but i'll also be taking general snapshots.

i'd also like the camera to remember settings, so if i turn the LCD off and turn the camera off, the LCD won't come back on when i turn the camera back on.

the elphs look pretty sweet--?
THANKS SO MUCH!!
-Tucker
ps: there are some 1/3lb tripods out there, are they any good? and should i consider one?
tvrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:01 AM   #2

Lithium ion batteries will be good for your use as they will hold the charge for longer time which will be at least a month. Camera's with these batteries are custom batteries and might be bit costlier when compared to Nickel cadmium AA batteries. The re-chargeable AA batteries will not hold the charge for a long time and you may need to re-charge them every day or two. But you will be having an option to use (use& throw) AA batterieswhich you canget them from anystore.

So you may decide what is best for you.
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3

You might want to look at the Casio or Canon lines for very small lithium ion battery cameras. The Canon SD-600 and the Casio Z-750/850 are worth a look.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:29 AM   #4

Just Google for DPS 9000 batteries.:idea:

They are an external battery pack, lithium based and last for hours of continuous shooing.

You can find them for about $40 plus ship which is near price of proprietary batts for digcams.

Big advantage: You can use it with almost any digcam! :-)

As far as digcam goes, if you can find an Olympus C2100 uz (used), go for it. It is only two megapixels but you can print tack sharp to 8 x 10.

It is 10x (internal) zoom with image stabilization and VERY light and VERY good in low light.

Most newer digcams don't perform as well in low light.

It also uses 2AA batts and will work with the DPS 9000.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:37 PM   #5

digicamfan-

The Olympus C-2100 is an excellent camera, although somewhat large. It also used 4 AA sized batteries, not two.

MT
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:00 PM   #6

My wife and I have two Casio models (EX-S500 and EX-P600), plus an older Panasonic Z1. The Casios are great for speed of start-up and low shutter lag, and are highly customisable to adjust colour and remember settings. Battery life is very good and the batteries are low weight. I do not have direct experience of Canon Elphs, but my son is pleased with his Ixus 50. (I was put off by all the comments from users on cracked LCDs).

I would buy the EX-S500 (or S600) again for its performance and portability, and it does seem rugged enough for your use. The EX 750 is highly recommended by many reviewers and users and is only slightly thicker than the S600, but we don't use the manual aperture and shutter settings.

Good luck with your selection and your trip!
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:47 PM   #7

One on the advatages of the Casio Z-750 is it MPEG-4 video clip mode that uses a much smaller amount of memory card space. In addition is offers both fully automatic and manual controls.

MT
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:42 PM   #8

wow thanks for all the great replies. i'll def get the DPS 9000 if i get a compatible camera. i think now it's mostly up to my budget. in this respect i really like the Casio Exilim ex-z50/55 because they get so many shots/battery (400!). the price is pretty sweet too at a bit more than $200. The EX-s500 looks great too, but there is no viewfinder, so i couldn't turn the LCD off. i don't think i'll be taking too many videos, so that isn't that much of an issue. ...time to start looking for deals...
thanks again,
tucker
tvrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:42 AM   #9
E.T

You should also look Canon SD700 IS. Image stabilization would help nicely in those lower light landscape shots.
Also Panasonic's cameras have stabilization.

tvrb wrote:
Quote:
ps: there are some 1/3lb tripods out there, are they any good?* and should i consider one?
If you mean those table tripods "beanbag" tripod could do same.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...Beanbag_Tripod
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote