Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:29 PM   #1

'm in the market for an ultra compact camera, i will follow the lay out i have seen in another forum to try and give you guys as much info as possible.

Budget

The most expensive camera i have been looking at is the Sony T9, so anything up to and around there would be fine, i have no hard budget.

Size

Size is very important here, that's why i am only looking at ultra compacts. I want to be able to take the camera absolutely anywhere. I am going into my final term of university so i will be taking the camera to parties, clubbing (low light considerations), and then also travelling with me, so it definitely needs to be small.

Features

I guess i am looking at cameras in the 5mp range and up.

Standard zoom will be fine.

Image quality is important to me, perhaps 8/10 importance.

Manual controls - would be a plus, but i am not overly concerned. It is more for caputuring moments and having memories.

General Usage

As stated earlier the camera is to be used to take everywhere and get lots of nice pictures. Generally this will be parties, clubs, bbqs, and then travelling and holidays.

I will be making prints for sure, and at some point probably some larger prints so this is a consderation though not essential.

There will be a lot of indoor and low light photos, so this is an important consideration. I have been looking at the Fuji Z1 and Z2, supposedly they are good for this?

Most of my photos will be posed and still shots.

Cameras i have been looking at:

For some reason i really like the Sony T9, however it is quite a bit more expensive than the other models i have been looking at, so i don't want to waste money in the performance from another ultra compact will be just as good. Here are the other cameras i have been looking at:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9 (looks good plus has image stabilization)
Fuji Z1 and the new Z2 (haven't seen a review of the Z2 yet)
Kodak Easyshare V550
Konica Minolta DiMage X1
Nikon CoolPix S3

So what do you guys think? Which should i go for? Are there any other models i should be looking at? Any help at all would be great, it's a tough decision!
MaxVaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

The new Sony T-30 is certainly worth looking at, if for nothing more than information about advanced features in ultra small cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:52 AM   #3

It does look nice but it is not really an option for me, it's not available in the UK until May 19th. I need to buy the camera within the next few days before i head back to University, plus it also looks like it will be a little over my budget. Thanks for the input though.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The new Sony T-30 is certainly worth looking at, if for nothing more than information about advanced features in ultra small cameras.

MT
MaxVaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:49 AM   #4

Hey, I'm exactly looking for the same thing. I had open up a thread but it went dead, so i wanted to msg in this forum.

I also need an ultra compact, light, slim camera, with around 450 dollars in budget and need it in the next couple of weeks.

The only other camera other than T9 I'm thinking about it Pentax S6. This cam was really small, light, and seemed to take great pictures. I looked at it at a Futuretronics store in a mall. They were really helpful by the way, it was the first time I saw a Futuretronics, and I almost lost myself in the store.

So what do you guys think about Pentax S6?

A friend of mine who studies Digital Media Art in NW Missouri St., someone who works with Digital Cameras in everyday basis, told me that I should def. go with Sony in digital cameras. Altough it's pricy, i guess the brand sony and the quality of the lens is worth it? So i'm thinking about buying the DSC-T9just likeMaxVaber but i'd love some more input about the possible alternitves or options to T9.
xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 6:12 PM   #5

So which camera did you buy?

I'm considering the Casio EX Z60 or Kodak V550.

Please help me make my mind up!

Thanks,
platinumv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 9:14 PM   #6

I am also looking to purchase a similar featured camera:-Ultracompact-Good quality picture-Good low light ability-I also need a good macro function at ambient lightI am about to buy the T30. It is a little bulkier than other choices (T9, Canon SD600, Panasonic LX1, Nikon s6), but has IS, a large LCD with 230K and a good macro.* I don't like that the lens is crammed into such a little space. The photo galleries are very* very impressive (see*www.416-1100.com)My other choice is the Canon SD700. I like that the lens zooms out.*
ftausk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 9:38 PM   #7

I looked at all of the same ones and purchased the Casio EX-Z600 and am extremely happy with my choice.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 6:53 PM   #8

You might also consider the canon sd700IS, it has 4x zoom, image stabilizer, faster lens than sony t30, a very nice 2.5 inch screen and an optical viewfinder in case your battery goes very low.
iceman_dl6 is offline   Reply With Quote