Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:55 AM   #1

These two new models seem to close to call. I am buying my first digital in 5 years and the reviews on these two seem to be quite good. I really like the idea of 6x zoom that they both feature. It seems to come down to the image stabilization, lower price butno viewfinder of the panasonic vs the clearer, sharper image (less noise)no stabilization, view finder (easier tracking on continual shooting) but higher price $349 vs 329 Canadian of the Canon. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
dannyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2

In my reading of the reviews and previews of these two cameras, I tend to lead toward the Canon A-700 because of Canon's track record, and because I really prefer an optical viewfinder. But please keep in mind that these views are subjective and represent just a personal opinion, nothing more.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3

[align=left]Hi

look at this Ambient light ISO 200 by A700

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...007_iso200.jpg

and ISO 200 by LZ5

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/p1000032.jpg

but I still like LZ5

[/align]
Free Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:06 PM   #4

dannyt wrote:
Quote:
These two new models seem to close to call. I am buying my first digital in 5 years and the reviews on these two seem to be quite good. I really like the idea of 6x zoom that they both feature. It seems to come down to the image stabilization, lower price butno viewfinder of the panasonic vs the clearer, sharper image (less noise)no stabilization, view finder (easier tracking on continual shooting) but higher price $349 vs 329 Canadian of the Canon. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The price difference is so small that it shouldn't be an issue at all. I would say it depends on whether the optical viewfinder makes a difference to you or the IS stabilization. I don't think anyone can tell you which is better choice. Theviewfinder is certainly a nice feature and may eliminate some of the shake just by virtue of the way you hold the camera. I do like IS though and it seems it is hard to find a camera that has everything you want without going up in size or price or giving up something you are not sure you want to compomise.

I intially started looking at compact digicams and was going to spend around 400 to get what I thought I wanted. Once I decided I was going to spend bewtween 350 and 400, I ended up buying an Ultrazoom for 495. It has everything I want, but it is large... the price didn't bother me and actually neither does the size because I did not choose it blindly.

My dilema is still not over sinceI am still searching fora smaller camera because my wife needs something point and shoot but in a smaller package. I will probably end up buying overkill in that too. I may actually take her to look atsome compacts and maybe even a smaller ultrazoom, becauseI want her to have the options and make the choice. I don't think she could care less what a camera has nor has the interest to listen to me talk about features, bells and whistles. One might wonder why not just get her something basic, but I figure it might be good to get something for those occasions I don't bulk, but want quality shots.

Thank God I held off on jumping into a DSLR, at least for now because I probably would have broke the bank.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote