Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:21 AM   #21
Super Moderator

My wife has an IXUS700 (not sure what the SD # is) and it is a lovely camera.

It's a fair bit more expensive than the FX01 however, the image stabiliser swings it in favour of the FX01 for me. Of course you can get IS on the SD/IXUS now, but that makes it even more expensive.

The SD/IXUS are the right size, but the lack of 28mm equivalent is what puts me off.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:34 PM   #22

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I didn't know it even existed!

I found a review..

http://digital-lifestyles.info/displ...ms&id=3185

In general though I'm not a fan of very big X factors. The bigger the zoom the worse the lens is a decent rule of thumb.

So a choice between a 4x f2.8-5.6 Leica lens v an 11x f3.3-4.8 Ricoh lens seems fairly simple.

I also don't like the sound and look of a noisy and slow zoom with massive extension. Feels creepy and wrong to me. So even if I had known about it I wouldn't have shortlisted it.
cheers for finding that review, i couldnt find any!

hey that review aint so bad, its quite a positive one for that camera... hmm am thinking about getting this it would be a great travel camera for sure
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:28 PM   #23

Hi,

the Ricoh GR Dogital is a very lovable little camera. Try it before make your choice !!!!!

http://ricoh-grd.blogspot.com/

pppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:13 PM   #24

Great thread, and exactly the dilemma I'm facing myself...

The GR Digital is a perfect camera for me... except for the fixed 28mm lens. No zoom at all isn't going to cut it for me. Plus there is no optical image stabilization, and as far as I know, the pre-set scene modes aren't very encompassing (may not be a factor for some of you).

The Ricoh Caplio R4 looks really good, and has everything I want - including a wide-angle lens, optical image stabilization, and high sensitivity. However, it has a shallow depth-of-field with an aperture of only F3.3 and I can't find any reviews of its high sensitivity performance.

The only bad thing that's putting me off about the FX01 was the DP Review stating that it becomes extremely noisy at ISO400 and that 800+ is essentially just expanded up to 6MP, without the detail. The 28mm lens is really helping its case plus Panasonic's Image Stabilization is among the best!

I want a very small, low-light capable camera with as many features as possible.
I haven't taken a close enough look at the SD700 IS yet, and would love to see side-by-side comparisons of the SD700 IS and the FX01. Any thoughts?

I was considering the Casio z850, but I haven't read anything on its high sensitivity performance, and it lacks optical image stabilization.

slaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:00 PM   #25
E.T

slaman wrote:
Quote:
The Ricoh Caplio R4...
However, it has a shallow depth-of-field with an aperture of only F3.3
F3.3 on very small sensor digicam is equal to much much smaller apertures of SLR when it comes to depth of field so worry about only having no way to blur background if you don't want too detailed shots.

As example KM A2 I have uses biggest sensor size used in non-SLR digicams and in wide angle end infinite focus starts after going over 2m! So I really don't see how that is shallow.

Also that F3.3 is just widest aperture...
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:00 AM   #26

Good call, I mis-wrote. The only problem with the R4 is that it's NOT shallow enough, and being able to blur background will be difficult with a F3.3 being the widest.

E.T wrote:
Quote:
slaman wrote:
Quote:
The Ricoh Caplio R4...
However, it has a shallow depth-of-field with an aperture of only F3.3
F3.3 on very small sensor digicam is equal to much much smaller apertures of SLR when it comes to depth of field so worry about only having no way to blur background if you don't want too detailed shots.

As example KM A2 I have uses biggest sensor size used in non-SLR digicams and in wide angle end infinite focus starts after going over 2m! So I really don't see how that is shallow.

Also that F3.3 is just widest aperture...
slaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:03 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Hmm, I guess my view is that on small sensor cameras I pretty much expect everything to be in focus anyway. Just the nature of the beast.

If you want shallow DOF you need to move up to the bigger sensors, and ideally the full-frame cameras.

When it comes to the GRD I'm caught in a logic trap. I love the look of it, but it's a fixed 28mm equivalent. If I had to choose a single focal length I'd choose 35mm equivalent. But then it makes me think that then the Fuji F30 would be acceptable!

But I do think that if I'm going to have a zoom I would like it to go to 28mm at the wide end.

The street price of the the GRD in the UK is basically double that of the FX01, and as this is a 2nd camera the price does make a difference.

I did have a look at the FX01 at the weekend, it sure looks nice in black!

Old May 6, 2006, 11:01 AM   #28
Super Moderator

OK, so I bought one!

The Panasonic FX01 that is.

I wanted something I'd always keep with me, so I have started a one-photo-per-day-everyday Photo Blog. I will post pictures from my Canon 20D too, but I expect most of the shots to be from the FX01.

So for those of you considering the FX01 have a peek occasionally for some samples. So far I'm very happy.

The low-light performance is not particularly troublesome and the 28mm (equivalent) lens on such a small camera is fantastic. It looks really cool too and lives in either my jacket pocket or my jeans pocket.

http://peri365.blogspot.com
Old May 6, 2006, 11:10 AM   #29
Administrator

Congrats! Keep us posted on how well it performs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote