Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:26 PM   #1

I've narrowed it down to these two, mainly because they are two of the very few ultra-compacts with water housings available. (The canon's isn't out yet, but I feel confident it will be forthcoming since there is one for every other camera in the line.)

I'd say I have a preference for the size and style of the Casio, plus it would be coolto have something different than everyone elses crome canon case.ButI would buy the Canon if there was asignificant improvementin image qulaity. Steve's sampleimages for the SD600 generally seemed to be slightly sharper and have less noise in the outdoor shots, (The indoor flash portrait seemed better on the casio IMHO) but will this be noticeable if I never print above the the 8x10 size?

Last digital camera I bought, I made sure to get all the "features" I wanted, then missed a ton of shots because I didn't bring it so many places because of its bulk. I realize that the SD600 is by no means a beast, but as a guy I'm pretty much restricted to pocket space if I want to bring it along on a night out; every bit of size reduction counts.

The vast majority of my photos will be snap shots of friends at parties and the like, but I'm not so concerned about the quality of those. (More that I actually have the camera with me this time) The rest will be surfing photos taken in the underwater housing and pics taken on the all to infrequent vaction. Trying to decide if there is enough of an improvement in the latter picturesfrom the canon to convince me. Thanks for any info/help.
Diggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 2:50 PM   #2

I saw your post after posting my own, and I've narrowed my search down to these same two cameras. Did you decide? If so, which did you decide on and why?

Thanks!
k-i-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:45 PM   #3

Hi,

I actually decided on the the SD 630. Once I saw it in person, I decided that it was worth the money for for bigger screen over the Sd600.

I decided on the canon on three basis.

1.) It really wasn't that much of an encumberance in my pocket, not any worse than a cell phone I carried two years ago. (though wider) Was smaller than I expected. I didn't really have any pants/shorts that were remotely a problem. Its actuallyslightly shorter than the casio. (Assuming you might be female based on your name) Womens pockets tend to be smaller/tighter, so this could be an issue if not carrying a purse. I think the casio could be hung around the wrist with out being a complete pain.

2.) Speed:The canonlisted stats were at over twice as fast in burst mode. (2.1 Fps to less than one for the casio) This will be key for action photos and getting cool sequences.

3.) Screen resolution: A drawback of the casio. Basically worst in its class. I realized as many people would look at the pics right after I took them as on the computer/printed. I should mention that the casio did a good job of not lagging.

Most of these were based on personal use issues. Other than speed, I can't say I found the Canon to be "better" in any aspect of performance/pic quality. Would have loved to have had mpeg4 capabilities like on the casio. If I were a person not concerned with sport sequences, used the screen only for framing and wasmore shooting movies, I could see having gone the other way.

Feel free to ask if you have any other concerns.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4

Thank you very much Diggs. I was actually starting to lean more towards the Casio mainly becauseof it's advantage in the battery area. From what I've read, the Canon doesn't have a battery indicator and the battery doesn't last nearly as long. What are your thoughts on this?

However, once of my concerns with the Casio has to do with the flash. It's flash range only goes to like 9 ft. in wide angle. If I'm taking a lot of group shots with friends at their homes where there's not always a great light source, how much does this really effect the picture quality?

Yes, you are correct in assuming I am female I don't see the slight difference in thickness being a problem with the canon since I will be carrying it in my purse.

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Old May 16, 2006, 7:52 AM   #5

Get the Casio Z600, bigger screen, smaller than the Canon, far better battery life than the Canon and a useable flash that really reaches out.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 10:59 AM   #6

No there is no battery indicator on the Canon, only a warning when it is at critical. I haven'thad a problem with the battery life,but I've only used the camera for about 2 weeks. I will say with the rapid start-up speeds both these cameras have, turning it on and off after each group of shots isn't a big deal. I got through an all day party and night out afterward with no problem (though only took about 30 shots) It was still working fine 3 day later with no recharging, so I think battery life will be an issue if you will be a long time away from a charger or take a huge number of shots. Apparently the batteries hold their charge better when not in use compared to the high charge AA rechargables I had in my old camera. If I go on vacation I'll buy another battery.

If I rember correctly, steve's review said that Casio was fairly conservative with their flash numbers, meaning you get the full rangeof their numbers as opposed to other manufactures that exaggerate the range.

The canon is still probably a little better in the flash department. I think for most cameras of this size you will have to go to a long shutter mode for big group shots indoors anyway. I'm assuming the casio's have this in their best shot modes, canon definitely does. The 630 also hadThe Casio seems to do a good job in dark indoor light, possilbly aslight edge over the canon. (though I'm refering to closer susbjects in darker light) You can add an external flash thats not too gigantic (should be no problem in a purse) on the canon. I'll doubt I'll ever do that, but seems like it could be a good option for when you KNOW you'll be taking those kinda shots.

FYI Casio list the same flash specs for the Z-600 as the S-600 so I'm assuming its the same flash mechanism. Also the Z-600 is not smaller than the canon. Not saying its a bad camera. If it was a little faster or I was on a tighter budget,might have gotten it.

Old May 16, 2006, 5:11 PM   #7

First off, I want to give a huge thank you to both ennacacand Diggs. You were both very helpful. I didn't even look at reviews for the Z600 until ennacacmentioned it. And, it was definately a nice camera and worth looking into.

I finally dragged myself out today to take a look at these cameras in person for the first time. I went to several different places, and couldn't find the Z600 anywhere (none of the stores seemed to have a very large selection of Casios). After holding the SD600 and S600, I realized I didn't like the feel of the Casio very much. It didn't seem to fit in my hand quite right.But, the SD600 felt perfect and I fell in love with it. So, I guess my camera search is finally over!! (at least for now). It feels great to have finally made a decision!

Actually, Diggs, I can see why you chose the SD630. Not only did it have a bigger screen, the whole thing just felt nicer. But, I decided the SD600 was already plenty of camera for me.

Thank you both very much for your help! :-)
Old May 30, 2006, 12:52 AM   #8

How is the video quality on the canon sd 600? I'm about to buy either the canon sd600 or olympus 710-- and I'm concerned about the quality of photos in lowlight situations, as well as video quality--I know casio has the mpeg4, are canon's videos in that format as well? I'd love to hear your thoughts on your experiences w/ your new camera!
starburstfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 7:44 AM   #9

I'm still getting used to the camera and its different settings. I'm having some difficulty with taking pictures in low light...sometimesit turns out great, other times the images have a yellowish look to them and they blur easy. But, overall, I'm very happy with the camera.

I believe the videos on the SD600 are in AVI format. Therefore, they take up a lot more space than the mpeg4 videos. However, I haven't actually used the video much yet. So, I can't really comment on that too much. But, from what I've read, the quality is pretty decent.
Old May 30, 2006, 6:49 PM   #10

How is the speed, noise and battery life? Sorry to bombard you with questions--I want to make sureI buy the right camera! I went to Target today and looked at the Canon450 (they didnt have the 600) just to familiarize myself with a similar camera's setup, and the menu seems quite complicated/non user friendly.. do you find this to be true on the 600?
starburstfun is offline   Reply With Quote