Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:20 AM   #1

Hi everyone! I have been wantinga camera that will take nice pics of my daughter's basketball games for QUITE a while now. I liked what I read about the rebel xt and the pics I saw in the sports pictures section on this site for awhile now and thought that would be the one I got THEN my son-in-law let me take his maxxum 7d to a game and I got pretty decent pictures considering my lack of knowledge. In reading the differences between the 7D and 5D I would prefer the 5D for the weight and ISO pic quality is supposed to be improved over 7D at higher numbers (ithink i read that).

I'm new to the dslr but am wanting to learn and I believe I have learned a bit from you guys especially in the sports section. Both of these cameras would do great for my everyday....family, vacations, birthdays, etc but what about the high school basketball gyms? I'm definitely leaning to the 5D for obvious reasons. . .If I get the 5D I can use my son-in-laws lenses until I can build my own collection. :-)

So what do ya think?

Oh BTW did I mention that my daughter's basketball team won the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP this year? :GOk sorry that was bragging. Back to the camera..I would greatly appreciate your imput! Gotta birthday next month and I'm hoping............
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator

Your choice of lenses will be as important as the camera for low light conditions.

What lens did you use on the Maxxum 7D?

A bright prime is best for indoor sports (for example, for KM DSLR models, I'd go with primes like the Minolta 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.7, 85mm f/1.4 or 100mm f/2), shooting at higher ISO speeds. But, you might be able to get away with bright zoom, depending on the lighting.

I'd forget about using the kit lenses for this purpose (unless you don't mind a bit of motion blur). Quality is subjective. I've seen people get away with shooting a game at ISO 400 with an f/2.8 zoom (with some motion blur, as expected). I think they forgot to set the ISO speed higher.

The Maxxum DSLR models are becoming rather scarce now, though (most dealers have sold out). The major distributors that most dealers use ran out weeks ago.

Even Ritz/Wolf online stores ran out a couple of days ago (their KM 5D listing changed to "Ships when received from manufacturer"), and I wouldn't bet on them getting more of them. Some of the local stores still have stock, though.

Once supply is gone, you might have to wait on Sony to launch DSLR models using KM technology (they will be shipping their DSLR models this summer, and KM will be the OEM manufacturer).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3

Jim,

You are scaring me!! No 5D?

I used a 90mm f2.8 at 1600 iso. The 90mm was great in the big arena but a tiny bit too much for our gym where I'm pretty close to the action.

So what do ya think between the 2 or is there another similar that would be better? (if I can get the 5D). I won't be able to buy many lenses for awhile so having my son-in-laws is a big plus. He also has one he said I couldkeep for everydaybut I don't remember what it is.I do plan to invest in lens as I am able and will get advice from you guys beforehand.

Thanks so much,

Darlene
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Administrator

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

You are scaring me!! No 5D?
They're getting to be pretty hard to find. I only know of one dealer with 5D kits left. Most remaining vendors only have grey market cameras left (not intended for sale in the U.S.).

You do know that KM is out of the camera business, right? These cameras are no longer being manufactured. The Maxxum 5D and 7D will be the last of the Konica Minolta branded cameras.

Sony has acquired some of their assets and will be launching a new line of DSLR models this summer using the same lens mount. Konica Minolta will be the OEM manufacturer.

This has been "in the works" since July of last year (announcement that Sony would be a partner with KM and launch DSLR models using the same lens mount). But, the announcement that Konica Minolta would exit the business was only made in January of this year (it was effective April 1). Sony is now handling warranty repairs, too.

Sony intends to capture at least 25% of the DSLR market. So, I wouldn't underestimate them.

Quote:
I used a 90mm f2.8 at 1600 iso. The 90mm was great in the big arena but a tiny bit too much for our gym where I'm pretty close to the action.
That must be a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro. Macro lenses tend to focus slower than most other lenses (since they are designed for very fine focus, at both closer and further distances). Using the focus range limiter will help. But, it wouldn't be an ideal lens for sports. It is a sharp lens by most accounts though.

If you're close enough to the action, I'd get a 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.7. You wouldn't have to use it wide open if you'd prefer a bit more Depth of Field. If light permits, use f/2.8.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about which one of these cameras is best. I'm biased (I've got a KM 5D). ;-)

KM makes the only DSLR models you can buy that have anti-shake with every lens (including bright primes). You've also got an available ISO 3200 you can use in a pinch of light gets too low (sometimes a bit of noise is preferrable to motion blur).

The Rebel XT doesn't have anti-shake or ISO 3200. You can buy a stabilized lens for one. But, they don't make any primes that way in the focal lengths you'd want. Only KM models can give it to you with all of your lenses, including bright primes (at least until Sony launches their DSLR models).

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

Jim,

yes i had read about sony taking km camera business but thought that the 5d would be around a little longer (til i got one):sad:how do i know who is "grey market". there is a website that is advertising like they have one. http://www.bestpricecameras.com. are they ok? it is also only $500 there.
Quote:
That must be a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro. Macro lenses tend to focus slower than most other lenses (since they are designed for very fine focus, at both closer and further distances). Using the focus range limiter will help. But, it wouldn't be an ideal lens for sports. It is a sharp lens by most accounts though.

If you're close enough to the action, I'd get a 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.7. You wouldn't have to use it wide open if you'd prefer a bit more Depth of Field. If light permits, use f/2.8.
you are probably right.son-in-law is in advertising so any lens he has would be for that, not sports. l would like the 50mm f1.4 or 1.7 (whichever i could afford) and as you say try to use 2.8 for dof.

One of the nice things about the rebel xt is that they do have a cheap 50mm f1.8 that might suffice for sports until i could afford something better? but i would still have to buy my own walkaround lens right off the bat.

Thanks for your input, Jim, and pls let me know what you think about that website.

Darlene
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6

Oh and here's another question about where to get. If all else fails and I WANT the 5D......................what about ebay??? Is that a no-no for this kind of purchase?

darlene
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Administrator

You'll want to avoid that vendor.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754.html

Look, the distributors that the dealers buy from are out of stock.

Most online vendors don't *really* stock anything. The orders are just drop shipped from the major distributors with packing slips, etc. that make it appear the order came from the dealer you bought from. This service is known as fullfillment.

So, when the distributors run out, so do the dealers.

Now, some brick and mortar dealers have their own stock. But, the majority of the online vendors do not.

Perhaps Ritz will get some more in. I don't know if they will or not (as it is a discontinued product now). Local stores may still have some of them.

CametaAuctions shows 1 available on Ebay (auction ends in 4 hours). They're a reputable vendor.

Here is a thread mentioning another dealer that might still have some kits left.

But, make sure you verify stock before ordering, and make sure you order the U.S. version if you want a U.S. Manufacturer's warranty (since they also sell a grey market version of the camera marked as IMP for Import).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:57 PM   #8

thanks for the info, jim. you could've possibly kept me from making a huge mistake (even if i'm slightly depressed now).

darlene
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:03 PM   #9

Comparing the 7D to 5D, I believe the 5D is better for a newcomer. They do darn near the same things except for the camera to person interface. The 5d puts more stuff in menus but does so in a very effiecient manner, and makes it easier to wipe the whole camera back to defaults if you need to (when you get confused and frustrated, and are in a hurry... it happens). Being in menus and on that huge LCD means a more verbose selection process, instead of odd icons and such your choices are spelled out in plain english. As Jim said, the 5D is about gone from the new market but there seems to be more 7D's around. Sony will have thier DSLR out soon, so the minolta system isnt dead except in name.

At any rate, all these cameras have the same potential for excellent quality images. Lens selection is going to be critical for indoor sports (and for superb image quality, if thats what your after).

I think the 5d offers a better interface, and a few features that the XT does not. For your purposes, iso3200 might come in handy at times.

Of course, I'm biased since I own a 5d too. Canon has a nice system, but they divided thier camera line into so many subsections that I think it takes away from thier cameras. Minolta produced two models, which have all the same features (almost), but changed the packaging a bit (body size/construction, control dials, and so on). You could also consider other dslr's like the nikon d50 or pentax, both which use the same sensor as the minolta cameras.

The minolta 50mm f/1.7 was cheap and plentiful, but is a little scarce at the moment. If your patient one should pop up used for $50-85.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:15 PM   #10
Administrator

The best deal going right now on a 7D is at Adorama.

They've got a Maxxum 7D with a 28-75mm f/2.8 for $994.

That lens alone sells for almost $400 ($379 at B&H).

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html?...&item_no=1

They've also got the 7D bodies for $779

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7D.html?se...&item_no=3

As for the 5D, these guys show U.S. Kits for $649 (but, I'd make sure to verify that they have stock on U.S. cameras):

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/pr...9&lhalf=bp

You might be able to locate a kit at a local Wolf or Ritz Camera store, too (even though the online site shows out of stock right now, with a "Ships when received from manufacturer" notice if you place an order).

I don't know if Sony is going to ship out any remaining stock to dealers or not.