Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:10 AM   #1

I ordered the km 5d with kit lens this am!! thanks so much jim and tmoreau!

Took the FREE shipping so it will be a couple of weeks.It's supposed to be for my birthday in may anyway!!

sssssssoooooooooooooo excited!!

darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:15 AM   #2

Congrats, it's one hell of a camera. You wont run outta new glass since sony is jumping the market and using konica's mounts.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Administrator

Congratulations, and I wouldn't bet on it taking that long to get there.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

Looking foward to seeing pictures from the Konica Minolta cough..... sony 5D
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:39 PM   #5

Oh, absolutely! And I hope yall are looking forward to all those questions :?as well (in another forum of course)!

darlene
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new camera. Ground shipping usually takes 2-4 days, unless they dont send it out right away.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Congrats Darlene...... sorry I did not reply to your pm quickly as I have been out of the country so only just back. You are going to love that camera. Quick question, what software will you be using for editing your photos?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:55 AM   #8

Welcome back, Mark! I was wondering where you were.I didn't take too long debating cameras. I had pretty much already made up my mind before posting since son-in-law has the 7d and a few lenses. I tracked the camera and it is supposed to be delivered TOMORROW!!!I'm so excited! I have a lot to learn but I have learned from you guys and I've been looking on the web and came across this website photoxels or something like that. it really explained each aspect in simple terms. focal length, bracketing, etc. I'm looking forward to also just practicing!! Of course our sports seasons are over. basketball (our girls won state. oops already told you that:-)) and regional track meet today! But I need to spend time learning how to take other pics blurring background and etc, etc, etc. So expect me to be a nuisance with questions!

As far as photo editing software....I have NO idea. I have my son-in-law's Corel Photo Paint (2002) but would like something a little more current and better. I've used the free Picasa and like how easy it is but it's very strange. It doesn't seem to stay edited sometimes after editing and when I copy the pics to CD the sharpening sometimes doesn't copy?? Anyway editingwill be a whole new learning thing for me as well. I've tried editing some photos withthe Coreland learned that if you don't know what you are doing....you can wind up with worse pics (washed out etc) so I may need something easy to begin with. I don't suppose the camera comes with anything worthwhile although i think i did read that the 5d has improved their software for raw editing (of course i know nothing about that).So......

any suggestions??

thanks,

darlene
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:03 AM   #9
Yno

The industry standard is Photoshop, but that has a steep learning curve and a very high price. Photoshop Elements is a lot cheaper, and has most of the same tools. Once you know Elements, I understand you can transition to the full blown version if you need it, but most amateurs don't. You can download a free 30 trial at adobe.com. I did, and I am amazed at what the program can do.

Since it is the most popular program, you can find the most books about it. I like the Deke McClelland book "One on One". It comes with a DVD, and goes through a lot of the features. I also like the website photohopelementsuser.com and the attached forum. There is a lot of training material there, and a forum with many, many knowledgeable users.
Yno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:17 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Looking forward to seeing those photos!!!!! The other option to Photoshop Elements is Paint Shop Pro X. This is my personal preference as it does more than Elements for about the same price. Again you can get an evaluation, this time is is on the Corel website. I played with both of them before making my choice. As for the Raw package with the 5D, it is great for RAW, but not for general editing.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote